Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Sub Compact Tractors--Share Your Experience, Please!

scut sub-compact

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#61 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 11:22 PM

Oh, I'm already long past that!!! 

Good for you. Don't turn back now or you will regret it later.  :smilewink:

#62 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,612 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 06:51 AM

We had some Dig-It towage backhoes here at work and with the right operator that did a fine job of trenching backyards and underground faults . I bet something like that size would make a great attachment for a small tractor or a large GT

• olcowhand, JD DANNELS and Cvans have said thanks

#63 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 09:18 AM

Smitty I think the more commonly know term is "Tractor Aqusition Syndrome" (TAS). It is a progressive disease and there is no cure.

You just have to feed the addiction.

• Alc, sacsr and Cvans have said thanks

#64 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 09:19 AM

We had some Dig-It towage backhoes here at work and with the right operator that did a fine job of trenching backyards and underground faults . I bet something like that size would make a great attachment for a small tractor or a large GT

Thanks Al!! I have seen those and wondered how well they would work.

#65 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 11:25 AM

CUTs and small farm machines use Cat 1, These newer SUBCUTs and some GT++ use Limited Cat 1.  Limited it seems by the height they can lift an attachment, you need some attachments meant for the Limited Cat 1, some Cat 1s will work ok though.

These new subcuts are likely to "de evolve" just like the GTs did in the transmission/transaxle area,,, put in cheaper to lower the price.  Most folk that buy those dont need the subcut in the first place and few folks garden.

You are probably right on that! Infact the Simplicity Legacy (and I'm not knocking it) seems to be a little light in comparison to most SCUT's.

Though they do offer loaders and backhoes to fit it. To me they are between most scuts and super Gt's but could be the perfect fit for some users.

• Cvans said thank you

#66 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 12:06 PM

You are probably right on that! Infact the Simplicity Legacy (and I'm not knocking it) seems to be a little light in comparison to most SCUT's.

Though they do offer loaders and backhoes to fit it. To me they are between most scuts and super Gt's but could be the perfect fit for some users.

Well my opinion on some machines,, there are some models that manufacturers are trying to cheap out but capture sales if you will,, they are not GTs yet they are not what I consider subcuts, they are in the middle, the Legacy would be one of those ( not knocking the Legacy by any means, its a fine machine) I consider them Super GTs like the X7 JDs.  This size machine is great if it fits the users need, but many scalp a few bux and expect full size subcut/cut performance when it isnt there, and that is the manufacturer/salesman talking things up a bit something when it isnt, an age old trick I guess.  It really pays to have some "seat time" before heading out to buy for sure.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#67 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 05:48 PM

Smitty I think the more commonly know term is "Tractor Aqusition Syndrome" (TAS). It is a progressive disease and there is no cure.
You just have to feed the addiction.

Oh, so I didn't have to invent my own name for it????

You mean others are bles.... er... afflicted with it, too???

And, let me guess... the GTT forum is the support group, right????

Boy, I'm so relieved!!

Smitty
  • KennyP and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#68 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 06:29 PM

Oh, so I didn't have to invent my own name for it????

You mean others are bles.... er... afflicted with it, too???

And, let me guess... the GTT forum is the support group, right????

Boy, I'm so relieved!!

Smitty

Rest easy Smitty, you've found the proper place to get help!

#69 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 14, 2014 - 08:11 PM

Well my opinion on some machines,, there are some models that manufacturers are trying to cheap out but capture sales if you will,, they are not GTs yet they are not what I consider subcuts, they are in the middle, the Legacy would be one of those ( not knocking the Legacy by any means, its a fine machine) I consider them Super GTs like the X7 JDs.  This size machine is great if it fits the users need, but many scalp a few bux and expect full size subcut/cut performance when it isnt there, and that is the manufacturer/salesman talking things up a bit something when it isnt, an age old trick I guess.  It really pays to have some "seat time" before heading out to buy for sure.

I agree.  Yanmar builds the "F" series machines for sales other than in the US, but a lot have been imported as grey market machines.  From what I hear, they're still pretty decent machines overall, but not near the durability of the older Yannies...

Smitty

#70 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:33 AM

Well, I almost pulled the trigger on a Kubota B2100 yesterday.  It has been advertised by two different people in our local online classifieds for several months so I was skeptical, wondering if a scam was going on.  I also thought it would be too big of a machine. I finally broke down and went to look at it.

My first impression was less than positive....

IMG_20140214_140549_5121.jpg IMG_20140214_143817_6671.jpg

The hour meter, which doesn't work, has way north of 4,000 hours on it. 

IMG_20140214_143835_6901.jpg

All the tires are bald and the fronts are worn through to the tubes in several spots, although the owner swears it did a fine job pushing snow this winter.  They do have foam or ballast in them so that probably helped.

The HST creeps forward--may just need an adjustment, or it may be real worn (more likely) and can't be adjusted out...

The headlight buckets are completely gone, and the tin work is dented, cracked, and patched together.

The rear end and tranny have a film of oil all over--not sure if it's coming from the transmission or the hydraulic system on the 3PH (see below).

I tried to pull the yellow plug on the front axle, but it was too stiff and wouldn't come out.  I tried prying it out but it just broke off a piece of the plug...probably hasn't been checked for a while.

Here's the serial number tag: IMG_20140214_140512_3201.jpg

Now for the bad stuff... just kidding. Actually, there were some good things.

I was unfamiliar with how the glowplug worked as was the owner, so we cranked it until the engine fired--about 10-15 seconds. Once it fired, it immediately idled out and ran smoothly--no blue smoke, no misses or sputters. I ran it for 10 minutes or so--driving around, turning, forward and reverse, though I couldn't do any real work with it... ran beautifully.  Almost makes me think it has been rebuilt or replaced somewhere in the distant past.

The transmission operated smoothly with only minimal whine.

The fluid in the radiator was clear--no oil, black floaters, or mineral build up.

I couldn't find any leaks on the engine, cooling system, or front axle.

One of the previous owners had put hydraulic cylinders on the center and both lift arms of the 3PH--He had confabulated a large scraper that had idler wheels to help carry it.  I'm not too interested in the scraper, but the hydraulic center link is a plus.

IMG_20140214_143845_9061.jpg

There is slop in the drag link, but should be a simple replacement of the end of the link.

I pulled the yellow plastic plug for the HST--no dip stick that I could find.  The insides were clean with no rust, but I couldn't see an oil level.  I'm not sure how to check the oil on the trannie so maybe this is normal.

I like the level operator's platform and the room. The reverse pedal is a little awkward to push, but maybe I can adjust the seat better.  The machine is about 20" longer than my Bolens or JD420 (both are the same length and WB), so I drove some circles in the dirt parking area.  They were about 15' in diameter so it has about a 7 1/2 foot turning radius--not too bad, really.

It was listed for $3,500, which was way too much, considering it would need tires right away and the overall condition. The owner's son showed the machine to me. I told him I'd think about it and left.

The owner called about 15 minutes later and asked what I thought.  I rehearsed the problems--high hours, bald tires, etc. He asked me to make an offer.  I told him I didn't want to offend him but that I would only offer $2,500.  He countered with $2,700 if I didn't want the scaper.  I was tempted to accept it, but something told me to hold off, so I told him I'd have to discuss it with the wife, first.

The wife and I discussed it and she's basically willing to do whatever I want (she normally is). I'm still tempted, but my concern is that, though I'm willing to deal with the appearance,  I don't want to be nickel and dimed trying to keep it running.  I did check the price for new tires at Nebraska Tire--$650 delivered for 2) 9.5x16 and 2) 6x12 Ag lug tires. Add $60 to mount them so it isn't as bad as I thought UNLESS they are foam filled in which case it's $40 each to mount them as they have to cut the foam tires off the rim.

I also would need to find a FEL for it.  I checked the price on a Koyker from a local dealer--over $5,000 for their Model 120 with quick attach if I install it--so that's out of the question.

I think I've decided to pass on it, but would appreciate some feedback from the sage and intelligent people here on the forum...

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 15, 2014 - 10:36 AM.

#71 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:44 AM

Shame this one is not closer to you. He has had it on ebay for a while....a little rough....I have the 187D version which basically same tractor just a little longer in the frame. I have been pleased with mine, but I rarely use it....suspect it will still be under the shed when I die.

This is the "made for USA" version Yanmar.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c7c906425

$(KGrHqFHJBkFI2pBMyI5BSUcZ-Yf6Q~~60_57.J

Edited by sacsr, February 15, 2014 - 10:45 AM.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#72 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 10:51 AM

Shame this one is not closer to you. He has had it on ebay for a while....a little rough....I have the 187D version which basically same tractor just a little longer in the frame. I have been pleased with mine, but I rarely use it....suspect it will still be under the shed when I die.

This is the "made for USA" version Yanmar.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item2c7c906425

$(KGrHqFHJBkFI2pBMyI5BSUcZ-Yf6Q~~60_57.J

Thanks.. Doesn't the 187D have the powershift with the controls on the dash or fender?  I looked at one last spring--had a loader, ran good.  The guy wanted $5,500 but I passed on it... thought it would be too big, and didn't have PS... maybe should have bought it.

Smitty

#73 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:05 AM

My 187D has the power shift on the dash- no power steering- with a small bucket- if I had any complaints it would be lack of power steering. I payed $4700 delivered to my door about 3-4 years ago- had 535 hours- original owner- at the time they were selling for around $5500 with a fel from what I has seen. I am no expert since this is the only tractor I have ever owned. But I think these tractors will stay in the $4500-5500 price range for a long time as long as they are taken care of and kept out of the weather.

#74 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:08 AM

One reason I bought it was because it was big enough to do what I wanted, yet I could still haul it with my expedition. I payed the sellers asking price- it was at a JD dealers lot and I think it was the wrong color. They just wanted to move it off the lot.

#75 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,478 Thanks
  • 5,010 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 11:17 AM

At one point I did a lot of research into the grey market tractors and in short this is what I found out.

Low hour refurbished tractors should be avoided unless you are familiar with the factory that rebuilt it.

Because these are run in rice fields (water and mud) the front seals and components tend to take the most wear.

There are and where both good and bad importers. Try to learn the history of the tractor.

Iseki, Yanmar, and Mitsubishi all seem to have good reputations but know the parts availability of the tractor your considering.

Don't get in a hurry!

• sacsr and Utah Smitty have said thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: scut, sub-compact