Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
* * * * * 3 votes

Sub Compact Tractors--Share Your Experience, Please!

scut sub-compact

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#46 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 05:57 AM

Now your talking!! That's a good sized unit and that size machine has tons of options and brands to choose from! That is the size of my next tractor. But I want it in a CNH flavor ;-)

Do you want a Case NewHolland 'cause it matches your LGTs, or is there another, more practical reason?--not challenginging your choice, just curious...

Smitty

#47 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,408 Thanks
  • 3,158 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 07:32 AM

http://www.chappellt....asp?veh=386588 Just choice really. Been using their brands for life and see no need to change now is all.
My first choice would be a NH workmaster35 with a 12x12 shuttle trans.

#48 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 11:12 AM

Unfortunately they dont really demo machines any more, and it makes selection of a machine very difficult for a new user.  These subcuts and cuts from my experience are not comparable to GTs in traction and engine power and it can make the selection process very difficult and usually the prospective new buyer "over buys" , which isnt always a bad thing until you Way over buy due to a perceived notion that bigger is better and thats not always the case if your tasks for the machine involve "lighter" work, soft ground, tight work spaces,etc.  Ive seen and used the newer JD2305 and Kubota BX25 subcuts and Both are Very formidable machines, though I have a phyically larger machine these 2 will do just as well in a smaller platform.

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#49 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 11:22 AM

You can demo almost anything in Louisville, Ky come October.......  http://gie-expo.com/gieexpo/

• twostep said thank you

#50 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 02:17 PM

The Kubota B3200 has a HST AND 3 speed ranges

In my dreams!   :D

Edited by Cvans, February 13, 2014 - 02:18 PM.

#51 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 04:17 PM

In my dreams!   :D

Yep that's my dream machine too!! With loader and Backhoe. I need a hoe for about 60 hrs then would have little use for it.

But it seems at hired rates around here it would have paid for itself and would be free running after that?

#52 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:26 PM

Yep that's my dream machine too!! With loader and Backhoe. I need a hoe for about 60 hrs then would have little use for it.

But it seems at hired rates around here it would have paid for itself and would be free running after that?

Backhoe attachments are the bestest thing,,, and one of the most spendy, glad 2 of my neighbors have em,, guess who dont need to buy one :dancingbanana: .  I do wish I had a loader on mine, if I decide to keep it I have plans for a Buford style loader.  I have a love/hate relationship with my CUT,,, and I think I just need to update to something a bit more modern and not as big.

#53 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 06:59 PM

Yep that's my dream machine too!! With loader and Backhoe. 

I have the backhoe attachment but it's Smitty that will be wanting one if we keep talking about them.  :D  So he might just as well buy the whole package at the get go and get it over with. It would be hard to think of a better retirement gift to ones self.  :thumbs:

#54 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 07:12 PM

I have the backhoe attachment but it's Smitty that will be wanting one if we keep talking about them. :D So he might just as well buy the whole package at the get go and get it over with. It would be hard to think of a better retirement gift to ones self. :thumbs:

Boy Howdy!! Sure do agree with that. Trying to hold out for 66 before I retire. Got to work 2 more years and then I can play on the acreage every day all day. I have decided I am not nearly as good with a spade as I once was, and a hoe would be great for planting trees and if I got desperate I could dig potatoes. But the big jobs would be draining the 1/4 acre marsh and tapering back the 580 ft of drainage ditch banks so they do not cave in and contribute to soil erosion and silting in the neighbors pond.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 13, 2014 - 07:15 PM.

• twostep said thank you

#55 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,612 Thanks
  • 29,834 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 07:15 PM

I dream about having the time to cut up my tow behind backhoe & put it on the back of my old Allis 720 with a full subframe.  It would make a great dedicated machine, and I have a front push blade for the 720 as well for pushing the dirt back in the holes dug.

• JD DANNELS, KennyP, Cvans and 2 others have said thanks

#56 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 09:59 PM

I dream about having the time to cut up my tow behind backhoe & put it on the back of my old Allis 720 with a full subframe.  It would make a great dedicated machine, and I have a front push blade for the 720 as well for pushing the dirt back in the holes dug.

That would make a great thread and one I would for sure follow!
I think it is a great idea.

#57 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,480 Thanks
  • 5,011 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 10:18 PM

Trying to hold out for 66 before I retire.

The sooner that you can retire the better. Because of a plant closure I retired at 57. Was a little worried but everything turned out just fine, I hope you get your hoe and have as much fun with it as I have. Used it way more than expected and and still have more projects lined up.

I dream about having the time to cut up my tow behind backhoe & put it on the back of my old Allis 720 

Daniel I really hope this works out for you. Think you will find the hoe more enjoyable to use when it is attached to a heavier platform. I leave mine on the Ford now and love the extra traction, ease of steering, and how nice it is to have it with me whenever I'm using the loader. Nice insurance for not getting stuck also.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#58 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 10:47 PM

I have the backhoe attachment but it's Smitty that will be wanting one if we keep talking about them.  :D  So he might just as well buy the whole package at the get go and get it over with. It would be hard to think of a better retirement gift to ones self.  :thumbs:

LOL!!!

Oh, I'm already long past that!!!  I've been eyeing a B7100 Kubota Loader/Backhoe Combo here locally.  The guy wants $9,500 and won't budge... probably not a horrible price, but it's also a manual transmission, so that kinda knocks it out of the running.

A friend has a home-brew towable backhoe that I'm thinking of buying and putting on my Case 444 as a permanent attachment.  I suspect I would need a loader for it as well, so things just keep escalating, when I keep trying to pare down. I think I have bipolar philotracteria...  (that's an obscure medical condition I just invented)....

Smitty

• KennyP and twostep have said thanks

#59 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 10:50 PM

That would make a great thread and one I would for sure follow!
I think it is a great idea.

:ditto:   Smitty

#60 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 10:52 PM

Well, I'm on a roll with this thread!!! 82 more posts and I hit the big "C"