• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Dave564 OFFLINE  

Dave564

• Member No: 1778
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 02:14 PM

I have been looking around for a while now, and found what turned out for me to be the deal of the day.

I bought, sight unseen and not running, a 72 era Ariens S-14. It came with the 4 foot deck, and a snow blower for attachments, all for $200.00 After I got it all home, and looked it over, I found out that the only thing that kept it from running was a dry rotted fuel line, WIN FOR ME!!

Other that the fuel line, all I have found wrong is that it has 2 burned out lights, one head, and a tail. Also somewhere between 1972, and now, one of the bolts that held the hydrostatic drive shaft in the flywheel of the K321 fell out which caused it to shear the wood ruff key. All but the lights are fixed now.

This is what I have planned for it.

I belong to a dirt bike club here in Michigan. We have a woods track on our club property about 6 miles long. Needless to say when we hold our events, the trails take a beating from the quads and the bikes. One of our members owns a subcompact John Deere that he uses to groom where he can get to. The problem is that a good portion of the course is in tight wooded areas, and the trail is only about 4 feet wide.

What I am hoping to do is to get a small box blade for it and boldly go where the John Deere can't.

At first I was thinking about the 4 footer that King Kutter sells for the smaller tractors. THEN I happen to see just how far the rear rockers move on this machine.

Will I even be able to pick the box blade up with them, as in will it lift that much weight (about 300#) without pulling the front tires off the ground? Will that be enough throw to get it far enough off the ground to load it on a trailer?

Dave

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 03:01 PM

I can't answer your question Dave,but :welcometogttalk:

Glad to have you with us.

Someone will most likely be along shortly with an answer.

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 03:47 PM

Hi Dave, welcome to GTtalk. As for worrying about not having enough weight up front it doesn't take much to add a little weight to the front of the tractor to balance out the box blade. I would imagine that you would be able to pick the box blade up high enough to clear loading it on a trailer depending on the trailer. I can't promise you that but I think you would be alright.

#4 Dave564 OFFLINE  

Dave564

• Member No: 1778
  • 0 Thanks
  • 2 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 06:04 PM

Hi Dave, welcome to GTtalk. As for worrying about not having enough weight up front it doesn't take much to add a little weight to the front of the tractor to balance out the box blade. I would imagine that you would be able to pick the box blade up high enough to clear loading it on a trailer depending on the trailer. I can't promise you that but I think you would be alright.

Well it is not only getting on and off the trailer I am concerned with, it is also clearance on the trail. I am thinking that I will need to get the box about 10" off the ground to navigate the course if the rear of the box hangs about 3 feet from the back of the tractor. The rockers at full up position stand straight up, and full down only puts them to about a 45 degree angle at best. Right now I am thinking that it will not be enough movement. I would be more comfortable if the arms sat horizontal in the middle of their travel, or if they would move closer to 90 degrees overall.

I am very mechanical, but I don't know hardly anything about garden tractors YET!

Are the rear arms on the s series adjustable, meaning can I set them to sit on the shaft at a better angle, or are they pretty much locked to where they are?

I am hoping that someone somewhere has already tried this before I go and shell out the money for the parts and box that can give me some guidance. After all, I only spent $200. I wouldn't really want to throw another 500 at it and find that it just won't work.

#5 Enginerd OFFLINE  

Enginerd

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 611
  • 61 Thanks
  • 140 posts

Posted January 06, 2011 - 12:33 AM

My concern would be traction. I don't think the S-14 has a locking dif (hopefully someone will pipe up and tell me I'm wrong). I don't know much about box blades, but from what little I have seen they seem to dig into the ground more than a york rake. My fear is you would just sit there with one wheel spinning. I have a Ariens GT20 and a Bolens 800. When I had to smooth out my yard with a rake, I used the little 800 (about 1/2 the size and 1/3 the hp of the Ariens). It gets way better traction because I can lock the rear wheels.
That said, you got a great deal for $200. My advice would be to get the box and try it. If you can't use it, sell if for 3x the price and put the profit toward a large frame Bolens.