Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

Snapper 1650 Gets A Diesel

lombardini 1650 snapper

  • Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

    Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,589 Thanks
  • 29,831 posts
  • Location: South Central Kentucky

Posted March 19, 2014 - 08:14 PM

I always thought it an odd OE system even with belts, as the 2 belts never could ride exactly even either.  Would have been better to have had fixed positions of shafts and a belt idler pulley to apply tension.  The odd angles caused premature wear to the shaft splines & couplers.


  • coldone said thank you

#32 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts
  • Location: Central NC

Posted March 20, 2014 - 08:42 PM

I think I have the drive system worked out now. I had mocked up everything before I bolted it tight and it all looked good. When i first cranked it up it ran good and the chain was tracking. Then it threw the chain and my sproket angles were off severly. I got time to mess with it today. The front bearing (swing arm) had locked in its mount. This is supposed to be a free floating self centering bearing. It was bound up tight and jamming up the whole works. I pulled the swing arm, front drive shaft and mid mount bearing. I swapped the mid mount bearing (new one) with the swing arm bearing (reused one) and I spent some time cleaning the reused bearing mount and got it free. Once I reinstalled everything it worked like it was supposed to. No binding and the angles were correct. I still want to tweak it a little more but I think I got it. Only hard work and time will tell.


  • KennyP and Cvans have said thanks

#33 propane1 OFFLINE  

propane1
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 54307
  • 6,105 Thanks
  • 3,196 posts
  • Location: Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada

Posted March 21, 2014 - 03:09 PM

The torque is about 31 ft lb at 2200 rpm. Didn't find the same engine for specs, but it was a two cylinder, 18 hp diesel, same brand name. i know it's useless information, but i like that stuff. Noel 


  • coldone said thank you

#34 VICHARRIS OFFLINE  

VICHARRIS

    New Member

  • Member
  • Member No: 1381
  • 50 Thanks
  • 39 posts
  • Location: OTTAWA CANADA

Posted March 27, 2014 - 09:39 PM

Well  Coldone, I green with envy. John Deere humour. I have been silently reading you progress in Lomardini diesel powering your 1650 Snapper.

Nice. Very nice.

Waiting for the arrival of warmer weather. As in Ottawa March 27th, there is still 3 feet of snow in our yard. Had some more snow today. Then, maybe nature ( will soon) will allow me to start, painting my Lomardini powered John Deere 316.  I am starting to get the itch and  new refreshing ideas of completing  my 1978 1650 MF Lomardini ( stalled for 2 years ). I will be using u-joints and a drive assembly to the hydro unit. And I am thinking of using a timimg belt assembly  ( near the engine ) instead of using the twin belts. To power the rear PTO shaft assembly. .....Cold weather allows plenty of time to think.

Thank-you


  • coldone said thank you

#35 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts
  • Location: Central NC

Posted March 28, 2014 - 05:43 AM

I hope it gets good and warm for you soon. I want to see your 1650 conversion. You did great with the JD.



#36 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts
  • Location: Central NC

Posted April 20, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Double tap


Edited by coldone, April 20, 2014 - 09:30 PM.


#37 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

    Tractorholic

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts
  • Location: Central NC

Posted April 20, 2014 - 09:00 PM

Update time. I think I am about 85% complete on the project. I have Painting, and some miscellaneous items and I am not sure I like the drive setup but I will be watching it.

Now that the majority of it is done, there are a few things I would do differently. If I would have relocated the Air cleaner, I could have made the frame shorter. It would only have been 6 inches longer, the same size as a regular 1655/1855. I think it would have been an easy swap in xx55 series. I would have also started out using the xx55 series drive shaft setup instead of trying to adapt the 2 piece 1650 shaft. Too many headaches.

Here are some pics of how she is now.

DSCF3063.JPG DSCF3064.JPG DSCF3065.JPG


Edited by coldone, April 20, 2014 - 09:09 PM.

  • limebuzz, Cvans and FrozenInTime have said thanks





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: lombardini, 1650 snapper

Top