As some of you know, I have had this non running 1650 for about 3 years. We have had a rocky relationship during that time. I was trying to get the the kohler running in it so I could move it out and get teh WH D160 in so I could put a diesel in it. Well the kohler kept fighting me and didnt want to be fixed yet. After getting the kohler back together and it decided to shear the key again I decided to put the Lombardini in it. I ordered the steel for the frame strech about a week ago and I finally had time to work on it today.
First off I am no welder, so a 1-2 hour job took all day for me. I decided to add 8 inches to the frame. I am trying to still be able to use a mower deck with it. Thats complicating things a little. I was originaly going to add 10 inches but I mocked it up and it was just too much. The first problem I encountered was that the frame is 5/16 thick. Nobody sells 5/16X4 flat bar so I ordered 1/4X4. I plan on doubling up by adding a "fish plate".I need to do this because 1: I suck at welding and dont want the tractor to fall apart and 2: to strenghten the frame. I was going to attemp the fish plate today but I was out of Oxygen for the torch, I will have to form the plate around the curve.
All work was done with a side grinder with cutter wheel and HF 170 amp MIG running Hobart 0.035 flux core. Welder settings were MAX 2 and wire speed varying between 6-8. Uphill MIG sucks!