• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 02:46 PM

I got my Ford 4610 to the farm a couple of weeks ago, and got my primary goal of moving round bales done.  Now I need some warm weather to melt the snow and ice.

Yesterday I was defeated in almost everything I tried.  We had freezing rain on snow twice, so we have ice on the bottom and top of 6 inches of snow. 

I tried to clear the driveway with the loader.  I killed some grass, and exposed some ice, and got stuck a few times.  I think the driveway is worse than before!

I tried to clean out the manure from the horses' shed, but it was all frozen together.  I got about 1/64th of a bucket into the garden.

I tried to re-bury the deer carcasses deeper in the compost pile, buta fence post in the way is frozen into the ground, and I couldn't find my chain to pull it with the loader.

I tried to get some sawdust from the neighbor's mill for the horse shed, but got stuck on ice when I had a loader full.

Oh well, none of that was needed work.  I just wanted to play with my new toy.  I resigned myself to driving the road and showing the neighbors what I got.  Still a fun day.

We also had a Screech Owl in the house!  The boys came downstairs and said "there's an owl upstairs, what's for dinner?"

• MH81, Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 02:50 PM

Sounds like you need to see if you can trade that owl for a set of chains!

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 03:07 PM

Sounds like you need to see if you can trade that owl for a set of chains!

Can't do that down here, Brian.  Government regulations.

Ben W.

#4 hamman OFFLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,626 Thanks
  • 2,579 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 05:27 PM

Sounds like a busy somewhat unproductive day. At least you got some seat time.  Oh and by the way Owl tastes like chicken........um .....ah ......well......uh......that's what i was told !              Roger.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 05:56 PM

The owl was very calm, it let us walk right up to it and grab it.  I felt bad tossing it outside into the cold.  It flew into the tree and watched us.  I figure it was back into the attic before I walked downstairs.

We frequently share this house with wildlife.  We had a Kestrel nest in the side of the house, with a noisy little Kestrel family.  Lots of mice.  I had a bat in the shower with me this summer.  And everybody's least favorite, lots of black rat snakes.

DSCN0122.jpg

You would think the snakes and raptors would  take out the mice, but we still have plenty.

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 06:16 PM

With the varmits and slithery thing, I would move!

#7 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,836 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 06:27 PM

Great pic of the snake, thanks. One owl divided among how many people?  Make soup, lol., it'll go further. Any bird that can make a go of it in this winter's weather has my respect, glad you let the little guy go.

• hamman said thank you