15 replies to this topic

#1 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 12:08 PM

In another thread, there was a spat of controversy / interest in the 2 hp Clinton engine that came with my Waterloo 20.  As promised, here are some photos.  Let the debate continue ...  

Anyone know if the governor is complete?  If not, what should it look like on a B700?

IMG_1629.JPG IMG_1630.JPG IMG_1633.JPG IMG_1634.JPG IMG_1635.JPG IMG_1636.JPG IMG_1637.JPG IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1639.JPG IMG_1640.JPG IMG_1641.JPG IMG_1642.JPG IMG_1643.JPG IMG_1644.JPG IMG_1645.JPG IMG_1646.JPG IMG_1647.JPG IMG_1648.JPG

• Gtractor, trowel, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,154 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 12:46 PM

Here is a picture of one and a parts list

b700.JPG b700pl.JPG

• MH81, trowel, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and 1 other said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 01:04 PM

You are missing some governor parts.  The take up spring on the linkage is gone, the governor spring is gone.  The take up spring can be any weight or size, it just keeps pressure on the linkage.  P/N 3097.  I use a standard hardware spring for it that I bend to make work.  I don't have either one of the other parts in stock but I could lay my hands on them.   Governor spring is a 4001.  The throttle cable would tie in right at that bolt below the governor arm.

I think it was more interest between Jesse and I.  We both think about alike on these old engines and he knows just as much if not more than I do about them, so I for one enjoy engaging him in conversation about them.  Incidentally, my guess was wrong.  :D

Ben W.

• trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#4 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 09:40 PM

You are missing some governor parts.  The take up spring on the linkage is gone, the governor spring is gone.  The take up spring can be any weight or size, it just keeps pressure on the linkage.  P/N 3097.  I use a standard hardware spring for it that I bend to make work.  I don't have either one of the other parts in stock but I could lay my hands on them.   Governor spring is a 4001.  The throttle cable would tie in right at that bolt below the governor arm.

I think it was more interest between Jesse and I.  We both think about alike on these old engines and he knows just as much if not more than I do about them, so I for one enjoy engaging him in conversation about them.  Incidentally, my guess was wrong.  :D

Ben W.

Thanks Ben, we have a common interest and is conferring on and off the open fourm in the interest of collectors such as yourself and the preservation of these tractors and engines.

I truly enjoy discussing engines with Ben, he is very knowledgeable and has years of experience, no spat, bred and buttered iron heads are a unique breed.

The governor lever is bent inwards towards the head, was in a S shape for Carter N carbs, missing crankcase breather hose, Ben should have that also.

He hit the nail on the head with the governor spring and take up spring but what about the little L shaped lever the take up spring hooked onto with the throttle cable being attached to the cable holder on the block pushing and pulling the lever ? much like Choremaster's one wheel wonder, all variable speed Clintons had them unless it is set up differently for this tractor.

The throttle set up in the picture below is wrong but it shows the L-shape variable speed lever with the throttle cable pivot lock.

Can see why your model number ended in AOA , the cast iron sump with the extra casted mounting tabs is the base block variation. BB is something i am still working out.

my guess was wrong also with the dipstick, just caught myself in time, we are not experts in anything at all, always something new to learn.

Attached Thumbnails

• Choremaster001.jpg

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 10:00 PM

Jesse, you may be on to something with that L bracket.  That's what I'm most familiar with, too.  Its almost a Clinton trademark.  I was looking at the SK-314-2 "remote throttle" setup for parts, which the model variation claims to use unless it was modified.  It shows the cable coming in on the bottom and hooking up to the governor lever with the governor spring.  The cable is clamped to the side of the engine block on that bolt immediately below the governor output.  Clinton even claims they spec a 64 inch cable with it.  I didn't know engine manufacturers would supply the cable, to be honest. 

Attached File  Div III Remote Throttle Controls 1954.PDF   1.84MB   54 downloads  This isn't my scan, I found it "somewhere" and thanks to whoever posted it.  My scan is missing the page I want to show, page 2.  Of course.

Is that 700 yours in the picture?  I've never had one with the "ball float" pipe thread Zenith, although I drooled over one once. 

Ben W.

• trowel and New.Canadian.DB.Owner have said thanks

#6 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,154 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 10:08 PM

Here are some more pictures from the manual.your model variation shows the remote control hook up as variation sk314 on first picture,second pic shows how it hooks up and third are the part numbers

b704.JPG b7042.JPG b7044.JPG  

• trowel, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#7 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,154 Thanks
  • 1,156 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 10:10 PM

Ben beat me to it

• trowel, New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 10:37 PM

God i wish it was mines, pulled from the net, that is one of the first and very quickly abandoned in favor of the Tilly ML.

My 700 A on the Choremaster has the early Tilly ML.

The L-bracket was mounted in three different ways, the cable attached to the L-bracket in four different ways in four different spots, the manual above shows only two with the earlier spring set up i was thinking of.

have two variants of the bracket, early and later with the added ear hence the two other spots.

On the bottom below the governor lever the the spacer looks to be for the throttle cable holder for remote control SK-314, third picture down on the left so it may not use the L-shape variable speed bracket at all.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner and superaben have said thanks

#9 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:49 AM

You guys have been super helpful.  To recap, I need:

1) to straighten the governor lever,

2) install a take up spring, 

3) connect the throttle cable to the bolt below the lever as per drawing SK-314-2, and

4) install a breather hose.

Anything else I've missed?

• trowel said thank you

#10 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:21 PM

You guys have been super helpful.  To recap, I need:

1) to straighten the governor lever,

2) install a take up spring, 

3) connect the throttle cable to the bolt below the lever as per drawing SK-314-2, and

4) install a breather hose.

Anything else I've missed?

Can not find a proper picture showing the S-bend in the top of the governor lever for the Carter and LMB carbs right now.

Bolt for the cooling shrowd, bottem, air cleaner assembly, the Saf-T-Vue oil bath cup is cracked, a plain metal one could be used until another Saf-T-Vue found. The top and filter element can be reused in any oil bath cup with the long neck and lip for Carter air horn and Clinton element canister, hint : Briggs, Wisconsin used slightly different ones that will not work with the Clinton filter canister but will fit on the air horn.

The Carter N round bowl took the early air horn # 6005-A can be used, the nylon 90 degree breather hose barb screws into the bottom of the air horn and valve box cover with a lenth of black rubber hose connecting.

Originally took the Champion J8 spark plug, equivalent replacement plugs below :

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#11 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 09:25 PM

Can not find a proper picture showing the S-bend in the top of the governor lever for the Carter and LMB carbs right now....

Is this it?  I think you mean mine needs to be more vertical at the top.

governor s bend.jpg

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, February 10, 2014 - 09:25 PM.

• trowel said thank you

#12 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 09:29 PM

... air cleaner assembly, the Saf-T-Vue oil bath cup is cracked, a plain metal one could be used until another Saf-T-Vue found. The top and filter element can be reused in any oil bath cup with the long neck and lip for Carter air horn and Clinton element canister, hint : Briggs, Wisconsin used slightly different ones that will not work with the Clinton filter canister but will fit on the air horn....

Like this one?

IMG_1626.JPG IMG_1627.JPG IMG_1628.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#13 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 10:26 PM

Is this it?  I think you mean mine needs to be more vertical at the top.

attachicon.gifgovernor s bend.jpg

Yes, thank you, same me a lot of time.

Yes and no, that is the Tilly ML, if i remember correctly the air horn mounting hole is nerrower,  but you should be able to flip the Carter N air horn and use that updraft oil cup assy.

Instead of using the breather hose you could use the 90 degree rubber push in one much like Tecumseh used, same size hole, i tried it and block off the hole in the air horn.

What are your plans with the Tilly carb and fuel bowl ?

Edited by trowel, February 10, 2014 - 10:28 PM.

• New.Canadian.DB.Owner said thank you

#14 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 11, 2014 - 08:02 AM

Yes, thank you, same me a lot of time.

Yes and no, that is the Tilly ML, if i remember correctly the air horn mounting hole is nerrower,  but you should be able to flip the Carter N air horn and use that updraft oil cup assy.

Instead of using the breather hose you could use the 90 degree rubber push in one much like Tecumseh used, same size hole, i tried it and block off the hole in the air horn.

What are your plans with the Tilly carb and fuel bowl ?

No plans for it at this point, unless the Carter N is a dud.  It was in the pile of stuff, like this old Zenith, I picked up this weekend.  If the Clinton runs fine, I'll let you know it is available.

IMG_1670.JPG IMG_1672.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#15 New.Canadian.DB.Owner ONLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • 2,223 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 15, 2014 - 06:48 PM

Well, I got the Clinton running.  Thanks go out to Trowel for his amazing help.  Send me a PM if you are still interested in the Tilly ML.  

Here are some photos & a short video.  Looks like I have some more work to do tightening up some stuff.

IMG_1715.JPG IMG_1716.JPG IMG_1717.JPG IMG_1718.JPG

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, February 15, 2014 - 06:50 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: waterloo, clinton