• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 09:49 PM

When I go to auctions, there is usually a pile of old Briggs aluminum condenser and points lawnmower engines sitting in one corner.  Usually they are a gift to the scrapper who buys them for pennies.

One time this past summer, I bought the pile since there were two nice Clintons in the mix that didn't deserve scrap.  I see arrowheads and I see treasures, even if they were toast. 

I have since shredded the vertical Briggs engines and sent the broken rods, twisted cranks, and scored bores to scrap.  I didn't think to ask if anyone wanted them.  Sorry about that.  :D

I found these pictures while I was shuffling images of the forklift project a few minutes ago. 

This was a unique variant the Briggs starter clutch (square drive) that you always see.  I guess it must have went to some special starter setup, I didn't think the impulse starters used this style drive?  I've sold a fair share of impulse parts and complete units but I thought they used the square clutch

IMG_7761.JPG IMG_7763.JPG

Someone must have gotten ticked at a starter along the way on another model.  They must have tapped the shaft the clutch spins on, since I found a rope starter cup threaded on and half the clutch holding the flywheel on.  I'd never seen that before. 

IMG_7791.JPG IMG_7794.JPG IMG_7795.JPG IMG_7797.JPG

I had this style condenser on the old aluminum ignition kits.  I guess this predates the spring style that we all are familiar with. 

Ben W.

• MH81, hamman, sacsr and 4 others have said thanks

#2 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,051 Thanks
  • 2,092 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 10:16 AM

Your first two pics are of the earlier style of starter clutch used by B&S.  ....They were very common.

Early B&S starter clutches only used four balls, while later versions had more balls added.

• superaben said thank you