9 replies to this topic

#1 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 07:42 PM

Well, it's not a garden tractor, but it was built by MTD. This has been a pretty good lawn tractor. Must be taken care of properly, as it is built not as heavy as the old ones.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_7574.JPG
  • 100_7575.JPG

• A.C.T. said thank you

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 08:42 PM

There should be something in the manual about not pressure washing them.  I saw two recently with shattered hoods that were on a date with a pressure washer that ended in a break up. 

Ben W,

• A.C.T. and Gabriel have said thanks

#3 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 09:05 PM

So clean, so new, it hurts my eyes :poke: 

Heh, don't mind me, look good.

• A.C.T. and Gabriel have said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:03 PM

NiceimagesCA31NRYL.jpg

• Gabriel said thank you

#5 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:08 PM

untitled pimped mower.png Think of the possibilities!

• trowel and Gabriel have said thanks

#6 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:19 PM

I took these pictures last year, after I had just given it it's first waxing. It is 7 years old this year. I have never pressure washed it, but I have used a garden hose and learned that it's not the best thing to do either(some things rusted up on the deck and prevented the blades from stopping at times and ruined the deck brake). I thought that this tractor was a piece of junk, but it was just my ignorance. I now keep everything greased well and have had no problems. I have occasionally washed it, but I think I should avoid how nice it will look to have a hosing down and stick with giving it a sponge bath. These modern consumer type machines are just not sealed well enough to use water to clean them.
  • trowel said thank you

#7 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:38 PM

Here are pictures of my new yearly ritual. I grease every thing thoroughly(another thing I learned that must be faithfully done to these MTD lawn tractors). This is not the only area I grease, but it gives you an idea of what I do. It takes a lot of work, but I think it will be fun to see how long this tractor can be made to last. I took the transmission apart this year to check some bushings that were able to move around in the axle housing(not a good thing). None of the bushings were worn bad enough to replace and the axle housing was fine(I guess the bushings are just suppose to be able to move a little in the axle housing, not the way I would design it). I added some grease and put the trans. back in the tractor. I was glad that everything inside seemed okay and that I had made sure there was enough grease.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_5974.JPG
  • 100_5975.JPG
  • 100_5998.JPG
  • 100_6126.JPG
  • 100_9861.JPG
  • 100_9863.JPG
  • 100_9862.JPG
  • 100_9868.JPG

#8 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:37 PM

You do a very good job,

few things to watch for, clean the underside of the deck and around the spindles,  replace the decks and spindles all the time with MTD and Murry, rotting out.

Use top quality oil like Honda or the likes, these are very sensitive to cheap oil and low oil will chuck the rod cap across your yard, do not depend on the low oil switch.

Valves loosen/wear, keep the valves lash at spec, don't let the flimsy push rods bounce off the cam, don't like replacing the camshaft in those along with bent push rods.

Always check the cooling shrowds in the spring, Micky Mouse can really mess things up, replaced overheated/burnt engines and stator rings.

Do not have to go overboard, nothing last forever and accidents happen.

Can i borrow you one weekend to maintain my tractors :thumbs:

• Gabriel said thank you

#9 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 07:22 PM

You do a very good job,

few things to watch for, clean the underside of the deck and around the spindles,  replace the decks and spindles all the time with MTD and Murry, rotting out.

Use top quality oil like Honda or the likes, these are very sensitive to cheap oil and low oil will chuck the rod cap across your yard, do not depend on the low oil switch.

Valves loosen/wear, keep the valves lash at spec, don't let the flimsy push rods bounce off the cam, don't like replacing the camshaft in those along with bent push rods.

Always check the cooling shrowds in the spring, Micky Mouse can really mess things up, replaced overheated/burnt engines and stator rings.

Do not have to go overboard, nothing last forever and accidents happen.

Can i borrow you one weekend to maintain my tractors :thumbs:

Thanks! I've just learned from trial and error how to maintain this machine. It can't handle some abuse like the old ones could(not that I think it is good to abuse any GT or LT tractor). I'm always looking for knowledge on how to maintain and get the most life out of these consumer grade machines(some brands are better than others in this grade), as I have a outdoor power equipment business and most of what I repair is that grade. I would be glad to repair your tractors, but your a bit to far away. Thanks! My favorite type of machine to repair in my business are LT and GT tractors.

• trowel said thank you

#10 Bunker Buster OFFLINE  

Bunker Buster
  • Member No: 45149
  • 56 Thanks
  • 36 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 08:00 AM

Great looking Husky!  I had one very similar and really liked it.  It was a 25hp with 50" deck.  It ran great till one day out of the blue a bearing let loose and it tried to throw the rod through the side of the block.  I maintain my stuff and stayed on top of my maintenance.  I wasn't the first owner, so no telling how the original owner treated it before I got it.  However, when it died it had less than 400 hours on it.

I went through a lot of the newer mowers over the years and will just stick with my MTD 990 and drive it till the wheels fall off.

• Gabriel said thank you