Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

When Did They Start Putting Safety Switches Etc On Gt's?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 09:54 AM

Just doing a little research. When did the manufacturers start putting safety switches on their garden tractors? If you know what exact model your favorite brand had one and the year, I would greatly appreciate the info.

thanks,
  • hamman said thank you

#2 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:03 AM

My '74 Homesteader has tranny neutral and pto starter interlock switches.

The '74 990 has parking brake and pto interlocks.

The '66 Meteor has no safety switches.

Edited by Canawler, February 08, 2014 - 10:04 AM.

• hamman and sacsr have said thanks

#3 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:04 AM

My cub cadet 86 has one on my clutch pedal.

• hamman said thank you

#4 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:07 AM

My 68 Ford 120 had a clutch safety switch (I believe, I know there's wiring in there but haven't been able to access it yet. If it was a safety as I suspect then it's been disabled)

My 70 Sears suburban 12 has no safety switches of any kind.
  • hamman and sacsr have said thanks

#5 sacsr OFFLINE  

sacsr

Bush Hog Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4776
  • 3,268 Thanks
  • 3,283 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:09 AM

Just to narrow it down a bit. I am looking to see how early they started showing up. I am suspecting around 68-69, but I may be wrong. Thanks for the responses! Keep them coming.....maybe we can narrow it down to what year, what manufacturers, what model, and maybe what type of safety switch? for deck? seat? etc.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,218 Thanks
  • 28,589 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:17 AM

73 Sears ST16 has neutral.
76 18/6 has neutral and clutch
78 19.9 has neutral, clutch, and PTO

The Masseys, I have a 74 gear with the remains of a PTO and clutch

Apearantly, we all got much less careful and the lawyers got much richer ithe 70's
  • sacsr said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:41 AM

'64 Sears/DB- None

'68 Sears SS12- I think clutch switch, would have to check

#8 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:57 AM

Marty, just curious: Any reason you can think of why your 68 would have a safety and my 70 doesn't? I'm almost %100 sure that the P.O. didn't modify it and I've been through the entire wiring harness, nothing is missing or bypassed...

#9 LTD OFFLINE  

LTD

Cub Cadet Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5951
  • 1,028 Thanks
  • 1,455 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:46 AM

I got the earliest so far. My '65 Cub Cadet 123 has safety switch on clutch pedal.

• sacsr said thank you

#10 Talntedmrgreen OFFLINE  

Talntedmrgreen

Simplicity Enthusiast

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8186
  • 3,059 Thanks
  • 2,174 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 12:58 PM

The goverment required Simplicity to add neutral safety switches in 1969, the way I understand it.
  • sacsr said thank you

#11 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 01:16 PM

From one of the top plant engineers in the Elec-Trak plant  -  day one . They were given board approval in July - August 1969 based on a seat switch and a clutch / brake switch . Also a service disconnect switch that was not documented I suspect because it was not the version they wanted .      The initial start sequence had SCR switch that were good for one activation  . If any connection was broken , generally a full restart was necessary .

• sacsr said thank you

#12 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 01:20 PM

Wheel Horse started using PTO clutch safety switches in 1969 on the GT-14, not sure about any other models that year as the Owners Manuals do not show Electric clutch wiring on the basic tractor schematic. Will look some more on Drive Clutch safety switches  for manual and hydro models.

• sacsr said thank you

#13 johndeereelfman OFFLINE  

johndeereelfman

Elfin Majic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3761
  • 5,475 Thanks
  • 2,532 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 02:25 PM

There are neutral start switches on the transmissions and for the PTO engagements on all of my John Deere 110 and 112 round fenders. So John Deere started using them with their first production tractor which was 1963. The transmission switch consisted of a detent ball that needed to be pushed in, in order to start the tractor. On the shifter bracket was a nub that pushed the detent ball in, lining up only in the neutral position, and allowing the voltage to continue it's loop. Basically the same concept for the PTO engagement. If the PTO was on while trying to start the tractor, it wouldn't allow the voltage to continue through to the starter generator. Both switches required a two wire connection, one to supply voltage, and the other to return voltage. Many owners by-passed these switches by unplugging the wires from the neutral switches, and reconnecting the supply and return wires together with just a simple jumper wire. Not very smart, and I don't recommend anyone doing this at all, no matter what year tractor you have.

• sacsr said thank you

#14 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,647 Thanks
  • 6,460 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 03:48 PM

I think Seat switches were some of first "Required" safety items. Power King had those first in late 78'ish I think. Think they may have had pto switch that didn't work to start with it ON before that. Not sure that was a Law or just convenience feature. In 85' is first Power King to have Neutral trans and clutch switches. SO, probly first "Required" year for those features.  Shouldn't there be some sort of way to look up the "Law" for such things?  EPA?  OSHA?  Manufacturing Institute?  Whatever. Just like in cars, the manufacturer's didn't put in till TOLD to by laws.  They add costs to manufacturing plus having to Make up the new items to fit their older designs. As they became common, they started to add things as models changed and updated, sometimes before the required dates, just because they were introducing something new soon.  Designed IN is much better than "Added ON" to old design.

#15 Sparky OFFLINE  

Sparky

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1574
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,892 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 04:58 PM

During the early 60 ' s it became painfully  obvious to dealers and manufacturers  that their best customers were being injured  by mishaps that were avoidable  . ( especially true today ) .  But the govt had bigger fish to fry during the cold war . So , the big companies did what they had to do by themselves .  When EPA and OSHA were created the handwriting was on the wall - and the biggies saw it coming . 

The littler guys did not have the $$$  or customer base so -  that explains a lot .