• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 09:50 AM

Not that I've been house-bound or anything, as dairy farming definitely gets one outside, but the unusually cold winter is sure dragging me down mentally.  Shop time means waiting for the shop heater to break the chill, then a not so tight shop still makes it not so comfortable.  Hard to make myself go out for shop "therapy" even though on my day off today I am bored out of my gourd.  Guess it would be a good time to balance the farm's checkbook, but then I'll need therapy even more!  I have some decals I could cut, but it's cold upstairs as I keep the heat off up there to save heating $'s.  

I know I'm not alone by any means in this cold weather of being kind of "weather beaten".  Maybe just another cup of coffee, then a nap would suffice.  

I do have to go into town later, so maybe that will help.  I do need an innertube for a GT tire!  

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, sacsr and 10 others have said thanks

#2 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:12 AM

I've found that having a decent shop is essential to keeping myself sane during the winter and with as hard as this winter has been for us I'm really grateful to have it. Heating it has become pretty costly but it's either that or stay in the house soooo....lol. I've had lots of time outdoors doing snow removal this year too but I'm noticing I have a real lack of energy and it's hard to stay motivated, as long as I force myself up and out though I find it really does help.
  • CRFarnsworth and Traill95 have said thanks

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:27 AM

Well, farm checkbook is balanced, and I did it this time without getting a pounding headache!   Dad always did ALL the financials and much more, and now everything has been thrust on me at once.  At first it drove me nuts, but I have found I've been over analyzing things in fear I'd miss something.

Calmer thinking sure gets more accomplished!  

• KennyP, HDWildBill, Traill95 and 3 others have said thanks

#4 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:40 AM

My garage is my shop unfortunately. And all I have is a path to get from the door to the house. Every year is gets like that & every year I tell myself I can't wait until spring to pull everything out and do a massive clean up!

With no heat in the garage, it limits what I can do. It's poorly insulated too IMO. I started moving projects into the basement, but ran into the same problem, no heat. 

I was looking into using a military yukon portable heater for the basement but mount it so I can vent it though the window. It would be perfect for the basement!

I have many projects awaiting me for the spring. Too many infact.

• Alc, Texas Deere and Horse, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:40 AM

Two things that we did seem to help. Changed the light bulbs in the kitchen to grow light bulbs and I take a longer nap after lunch. Basement is warm to work but this year it is crowded with firewood and too many projects. Doing something to break your routine can help too. Even an hour looking through seed catalogs and planning a garden helps. Good Luck, Rick
  • olcowhand, HDWildBill, oldedeeres and 2 others have said thanks

#6 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:45 AM

My garage is my shop unfortunately. And all I have is a path to get from the door to the house. Every year is gets like that & every year I tell myself I can't wait until spring to pull everything out and do a massive clean up!

With no heat in the garage, it limits what I can do. It's poorly insulated too IMO. I started moving projects into the basement, but ran into the same problem, no heat. 

I was looking into using a military yukon portable heater for the basement but mount it so I can vent it though the window. It would be perfect for the basement!

I have many projects awaiting me for the spring. Too many infact.

Any woodstove in the basement can warm it. A proper stainless steel chimney will be essential. In the spring there is usually a few complete setups for little or no money. The owner has decided its too much work or the wife is afraid of fire. Heating your basement with wood will reduce your oil bill and may save the house in a power outage. Good Luck, Rick
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#7 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 10:48 AM

Yea, I know the feeling. The short days and cold and all this stinkin' snow really can bring a person down.

I have two major projects in the middle of being done, could really care less to think about them. Havent even thought about the Speedex's I got back at thanksgiving and got a motor 3 weeks ago that I need to check out, just sitting inthe garage. It's even hard o get motivated to go work on my bathroom and it's in a nice warm house.

Sure be glad when it gets a little warmer and we see some green outside.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#8 Titus OFFLINE  

Titus

Bush Hog Hoarder

• Member No: 4216
  • 1,728 Thanks
  • 2,245 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:07 AM

Any woodstove in the basement can warm it. A proper stainless steel chimney will be essential. In the spring there is usually a few complete setups for little or no money. The owner has decided its too much work or the wife is afraid of fire. Heating your basement with wood will reduce your oil bill and may save the house in a power outage. Good Luck, Rick

The problem I'm finding is finding a stove that will handle that much exhaust pipe. Two story house, then over the roof, & through the basement window, I don't want to punch out the foundation to make room for that hole. 

I've wanted heat in the basement since I moved in, I really hope this year is the year. I burn pallets, and a lot of them in the fire place. I cut them up at work, so it would be perfect since I store them in a gaylord in the basement.

I just need to find the right one for me.

#9 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:13 AM

I've never had a really "heated" work area.  I usually heated the garages with a bullet type heater.

My biggest problem, I leave for work its dark, I get home its dark.  I rarely see any sunlight!  I get LAZY in the winter.

• Alc, boyscout862, TomLGT195 and 1 other said thanks

#10 Sal Mcc OFFLINE  

Sal Mcc
  • Member No: 51445
  • 104 Thanks
  • 112 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:18 AM

I've never had a really "heated" work area.  I usually heated the garages with a bullet type heater.

My biggest problem, I leave for work its dark, I get home its dark.  I rarely see any sunlight!  I get LAZY in the winter.

Same issue here. And my primary job is usually more overtime in the fall and this time, so its tough to get much done. I think everyone is having cabin fever. Maybe just a couple more weeks, at least it will be above freezing. LOL. 

#11 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,731 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:27 AM

I would chime in but I worked outside in a t-shirt all day yesterday. Sorry.

• IamSherwood, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#12 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:31 AM

The problem I'm finding is finding a stove that will handle that much exhaust pipe. Two story house, then over the roof, & through the basement window, I don't want to punch out the foundation to make room for that hole. 

I've wanted heat in the basement since I moved in, I really hope this year is the year. I burn pallets, and a lot of them in the fire place. I cut them up at work, so it would be perfect since I store them in a gaylord in the basement.

Fireplaces are very inefficient. Try a fireplace insert stove. Then figure out a fan and duct to blow warm air into the basement. Good Luck, Rick

#13 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:40 AM

I would chime in but I worked outside in a t-shirt all day yesterday. Sorry.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your arm pits...

• jms180, KennyP, jpackard56 and 4 others have said thanks

#14 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 11:56 AM

May the lice of a hundred camels hold a festival in your beard.

• KennyP, jpackard56, EricR and 3 others have said thanks

#15 Traill95 ONLINE  

Traill95

Traill95

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8763
  • 1,566 Thanks
  • 915 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 12:01 PM

I have a heated shop and it gets nice and cozy in there while I am out there working.
Problem is the heat bill at the end of the month scares me from going out there.  :biting_nails: :tapping_fingers:  

• Alc, Cat385B and boyscout862 have said thanks