#1 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,316 Thanks
  • 2,412 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 06:00 AM

Watched a little snow boarding on tv last night.  Wow!  Those kids can fly! 

• hamman and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 07:08 AM

Yeah, it's amazing the agility of these young men and women.
I've never been able to watch snowboarding for long, dunno why. I will probably try to catch some downhill skiing/speed skating and my wife will have figure skating on a lot
  • Delmar and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 07:28 AM

It'll be interesting to see how the whole thing goes. The Russians have spent 50 Billion on the venues and other infrastructure.

#4 farmer john OFFLINE  

farmer john
  • Member No: 11605
  • 1,715 Thanks
  • 868 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 07:49 AM

i know i'm going hear a lot of flack but, what a waste of money. and i dont just mean what they spent in russia, we are hosting some pan am games and they have lots of money for that, but no money for roads, bridges, better schools ect and you can be sure that next year my property taxes will go up because they again have no money, i just cant see how you justify spending billions of public money to support milti millionair athletes who have no investment in the community, think about it, when was the last time the public paid for your workplace ( that is if you dont work of the man)

• olcowhand, grnspot110, hamman and 5 others have said thanks

#5 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 10:02 AM

For someone who hated the winter and cold weather, for some reason I enjoy the winter games far more then the summer ones.   I mainly like the skiing, snow boarding.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,355 Thanks
  • 39,630 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 10:12 AM

I think they have it all back wards. Show the winter games in the summer and summer games in winter. That would work better for me..

• Delmar, HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#7 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 10:15 AM

i know i'm going hear a lot of flack but, what a waste of money. and i dont just mean what they spent in russia, we are hosting some pan am games and they have lots of money for that, but no money for roads, bridges, better schools ect and you can be sure that next year my property taxes will go up because they again have no money, i just cant see how you justify spending billions of public money to support milti millionair athletes who have no investment in the community, think about it, when was the last time the public paid for your workplace ( that is if you dont work of the man)

Its billions spent with very little oversight. A politicians dream. The news was saying that the roads and hotels weren't even finished and the water was dangerous. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 10:23 AM

I think they have it all back wards. Show the winter games in the summer and summer games in winter. That would work better for me..

38 years ago, I came home from the Army for a weekend. I bought my grandfather a new color tv (his first and only). We sat down to watch the biathalon events. He had been a ski trooper during WWI in Sweden. We were watching them ski up to the range and take off their skis to shoot. Morfar didn't usually get excited about anything but, he was very disgusted. He exclaimed "we didn't stop, we shot on the fly". He was such an excellant shot that he got stuck guarding the King. We didn't watch any more. Good Luck, Rick

• MH81, grnspot110, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#9 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 07:13 PM

38 years ago, I came home from the Army for a weekend. I bought my grandfather a new color tv (his first and only). We sat down to watch the biathalon events. He had been a ski trooper during WWI in Sweden. We were watching them ski up to the range and take off their skis to shoot. Morfar didn't usually get excited about anything but, he was very disgusted. He exclaimed "we didn't stop, we shot on the fly". He was such an excellant shot that he got stuck guarding the King. We didn't watch any more. Good Luck, Rick

I love stories like that.  Thanks for sharing it, Rick.  You ought to write down all you can remember from his stories, its a part of history we miss because we might be focusing too much on the American side while we forget the heroic efforts of the other Allies in WWI and WWII. 

Ben W.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 05:58 AM

The Swedes were neutral. The Swedes and Germans shared occupancy of an island in the Baltic Sea. When he did run into some Germans they traded coffee for tobacco. He showed off his shooting skills too much and got assigned to guarding the King in Stockholm. He hated it. Same as now, the spit and polish areas are the biggest pain.

In 1981 before he died, my wife and I sat down with him and a tape recorder. For several hours he told stories. I highly value those cassettes. Good Luck, Rick

• olcowhand and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,069 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 08:13 AM

They didn't really spend that much money.

50 billion rubles is what like 10 dollars? :D

I find anything 'sporting' to be a waste of cash.  A city will have the cash to build a new stadium, but people are homeless in the streets, and drugs are rampant...

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#12 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 10:06 AM

The news was saying that the roads and hotels weren't even finished and the water was dangerous. Good Luck, Rick

They were showing them paving the new main road into the complex on the morning news on Tuesday or Wednesday.  Talk about waiting till the last minute.  They said the only breaks they were allowed to take were to smoke, and of course that's what they were doing when the camera was on them.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#13 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,711 Thanks
  • 1,720 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 10:37 AM

Always try to watch all the Olympics, always in the house or shop due to bad weather, it's something to have on while doing something else, it's always interesting to watch.

The snowboarding and skiing is the best, I used to snowboard but it was hard in KS with no mountains or snow. 

I had big dirt jumps that I road with a bicycle, when ever we would get a snow I would have my brother pull me with the 4 wheeler and I would hit the jumps, it was great fun, sometimes I would get up over 30mph before I would go off the jumps :rocker2:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#14 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • 9,745 Thanks
  • 7,517 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 11:02 AM

Always try to watch all the Olympics, always in the house or shop due to bad weather, it's something to have on while doing something else, it's always interesting to watch.

The snowboarding and skiing is the best, I used to snowboard but it was hard in KS with no mountains or snow. 

I had big dirt jumps that I road with a bicycle, when ever we would get a snow I would have my brother pull me with the 4 wheeler and I would hit the jumps, it was great fun, sometimes I would get up over 30mph before I would go off the jumps :rocker2:

35 years ago I was visiting FT Leavenworth, KS. A COL had a poster in his office that got me. I showed a guy in a ski suit chopping down giant sunflowers with a ski. The big caption said "Ski Kansas".  It still makes me smile. Good Luck, Rck