#1 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 09:53 PM

My oldest daughter has a 4 week tech class, learning to use CAD software and the school's new 3D printer. We had P-T conferences this evening, and saw some of the projects. We even got to watch our daughter set up and start printing the Empire State Building.

Anywho, the school got their hands on a used Spectra Light mill. It has a computer tower with it. No idea what is loaded onto it. But, the school needs to find the necessary software to run the mill. So if anyone can help out here, I would appreciate it. Even if you could help me know what questions to ask about their setup would help.

They use AutoDesk Inventor Pro for their CAD. What I need to figure out is how or if they can get those drawings switched over to g-code with that software, or is it something that will need to be done with the CAM software. And what CAM software I should be looking for that can talk to the autodesk, if possible.

They're also looking for a Epilog table top laser for the class.

If you're about to complain this isn't gt-related, let me stop you right here. The school has a JD 935 with a deceased transaxle to trade.

• jms180, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 1 other said thanks

#2 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:09 PM

Okay, did a little digging and found out Autodesk actually has CAM software that is integrable with autodesk inventor.  Inventor HSM Express is actually free to current Inventor users.

Now I need to find out what hardware I would need to hold the software? I'm really going to wish I was smarter real soon. (honestly, I should of been to that point a long time ago)

Also, I need to figure out if the Spectra Light would be limited by the software, or vice-versa?

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:16 PM

Not sure if this matters or not, but the class uses Hewlett-Packard desktop pc's.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#4 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 12:44 AM

Not sure if this matters or not, but the class uses Hewlett-Packard desktop pc's.

I've seen those Light controllers for sale on Public Surplus Auction website.  A school district south of me had some in their warehouse last time I was there.  I don't know if it's went to auction or not.  You might do a search on PSAs website.

BTW, there is a great FREE 2-D drafting program that is an AutoCAD clone.  It's called Draft Sight, and it's produced by Dassault Systems--the same company that produces Solid Works CAD--a major competitor for Inventor.  I use Draft Sight at home, then send the files to work and use Auto Desk Mechanical to finish them up, etc. You can find the website by doing a Google Search.

Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, February 07, 2014 - 12:46 AM.

• Cat385B said thank you

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 02:52 AM

Any pictures of the tractor?

• Cat385B said thank you

#6 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 03:00 PM

Ooooh, an F935....superb machines!   

#7 glgrumpy OFFLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,663 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 05:40 PM

Ummmm! What?  Man, can a tractor guy be this Smart about computers?  Have no idea what you are talking about with those Big words, but sounds cool anyway. 3D printers just fascinate me!  Still waiting for me "Replicator" like on Star Trek.  Might see one before I die!!?

#8 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 05:55 PM

No, the backhoe guy is not that smart about computers. Definitely not. I'm just trying to get a donated milling machine (a really tiny one) up and running with the software they have at as little cost as possible.

The 3D printer they have at the middle school: http://store.makerbot.com/replicator2

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,514 Thanks
  • 39,734 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 06:20 PM

I went to that site and under support is a link to download software. Not sure if it will work for you.

#10 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • 11,754 Thanks
  • 8,923 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 07:52 PM

MakerBot is the CAD software to talk to the printer. I was unaware that a 3D printer only needs CAD software to run,  not CAM software like a mill machine needs to run.