9 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 09:15 PM

If anyone is looking to upgrade best buy has a good sale going on right now. 39" led tv made by insignia. 1080p Nice picture and decent sound. Supposedly made by Samsung or LG.

249.99!

I needed a tv for my apartment the 19" tv wasn't cutting it. I'm happy with my new purchase so far.
  • hamman, boyscout862, Dieselcubmike and 3 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 07:50 AM

Most Insignia products I'm familiar with were made by Funai and are completely Unrepairable. No service literature and the parts (if available) are outrageously priced. The stories I've heard are not flattering for the brand. I guess at the price, even if its 1 year & 3 days, you just throw it out when it goes.

I've heard conflicting reports on the in-warranty service (a question I stress EVERYone buying a TV should ask). One guy told me they dealt with everything at BB and it was only gone a week and another person said they had to pay to ship it to the factory and the whole process was designed to make you give up and just go buy a new one.

TV's are not something to impulse buy IMHO and I wouldn't trust anything an on commission guy would tell you about manufacturers. He/she will tell you whatever you need to hear to buy it.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,079 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 08:06 AM

Wasn't told that by the sales man.   I am not a drone that listens to what sales people say because A) Most of them want to make a bigger comission than on a 250 dollar TV would get them.  B) They have no clue what they are talking about and C) I don't trust any sales person.

Many internet searches turned up that information.  There are only a handful of people making TVs.  Most are using the same components across the board with different shells on them. 

Didn't even speak to a salesperson.  I walked in looked at the TVs, Ranged from 400 to 500 for a 39".  Walked over to the sales rack, these were 249.99 perfect price point for me.  Picked it up, walked to the check out, paid and walked out with it.  TV only weighs 16lbs.

Read all over the internet that they are built by one of 3 manufacturers.  LG, Samsung, or Toshiba.  Insignia is a best buy in house brand.  So somehow I doubt that they are going to sell complete junk. 

I had a disagreement with a fellow about Vizio TVs.  I have 2 Vizio TVs at home 55" and a 32".  Both are over 5 years old with 100% no problems in 5 years.  The 55" is on every single day.  Everyone talks down about them as well.  I've had no issues at all.

I also bought a no name Polaroid TV in 2004.  LCD, 37".  That TV ran from 2004 to 2009 in my home with no problem.  Gave it to a buddy who was on hard times and his TV broke, and he still has it and uses it as his main TV.  10 years off a no name POS TV.

• HDWildBill and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 09:06 AM

.....  So somehow I doubt that they are going to sell complete junk. 

Ford does it :bigrofl:     :bigrofl:

#5 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,289 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 09:40 AM

Looks like a bargain to me, Been looking for a 42 inch I might consider downsizing at that price.

#6 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,784 Thanks
  • 7,539 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 09:44 AM

Ford does it :bigrofl:     :bigrofl:

HEY!  I have 7 Ford tractors and they are pretty good. They are all 40+ years old and have stood up to the test of time. My son's dream car is a 68 Mustang. Ford stands for For Old Retired Drivers(like me). But, I drive Chevys. Good Luck, Rick

• HDWildBill said thank you

#7 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 12:14 PM

HEY!  I have 7 Ford tractors and they are pretty good. They are all 40+ years old and have stood up to the test of time. My son's dream car is a 68 Mustang. Ford stands for For Old Retired Drivers(like me). But, I drive Chevys. Good Luck, Rick

you know there will always be one on the forum to push the buttons..... I volunteered :thank_you:

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 12:55 PM

Wasn't told that by the sales man. I am not a drone that listens to what sales people say because A) Most of them want to make a bigger comission than on a 250 dollar TV would get them. B) They have no clue what they are talking about and C) I don't trust any sales person.

Many internet searches turned up that information. There are only a handful of people making TVs. Most are using the same components across the board with different shells on them.

Didn't even speak to a salesperson. I walked in looked at the TVs, Ranged from 400 to 500 for a 39". Walked over to the sales rack, these were 249.99 perfect price point for me. Picked it up, walked to the check out, paid and walked out with it. TV only weighs 16lbs.

Read all over the internet that they are built by one of 3 manufacturers. LG, Samsung, or Toshiba. Insignia is a best buy in house brand. So somehow I doubt that they are going to sell complete junk.

I had a disagreement with a fellow about Vizio TVs. I have 2 Vizio TVs at home 55" and a 32". Both are over 5 years old with 100% no problems in 5 years. The 55" is on every single day. Everyone talks down about them as well. I've had no issues at all.

I also bought a no name Polaroid TV in 2004. LCD, 37". That TV ran from 2004 to 2009 in my home with no problem. Gave it to a buddy who was on hard times and his TV broke, and he still has it and uses it as his main TV. 10 years off a no name POS TV.

Sorry if I came across as if I was saying you were a drone. Also sorry if I suggested you weren't qualified to do your own research. Internet savvy & not a drone, got it. :D
I was assuming the person who told you that LG or Samsung made it was a salesperson.
The cross contamination of parts (IE opening an off brand and seeing an LG, Samsung, etc logo) is usually because either that mfg was hired by someone to build spec parts or the part was an overrun and sold to the mfg as a "lot". It rarely means that the TV was assembled by "x" or that all parts inside the unit were from the same mfg.. TV tuners are almost always built by LG as they have built a very robust tuner (QAM) and they sell them cheaper than everyone else can make them. Some of the panels as well.
About a year ago, there was a trade rag (CE Pro I think) that did a writeup on the panels. Some are over runs or common units and of the same caliber, some are spec models and are usually of lower quality. Almost no way to know which is which, from what they were saying.
It has always amazed me how some people have the best luck with TV's and get many more years than the average over and over... But working in the parts and service end of this industry had widened my eyes to the fact that a LOT of the offbeat offbrand stuff is woefully under supported in either service or support or both. Many of my customers are retired+ and often enjoy the ability to phone one of our guys and have them walk them thru a button by button resolution of "I sat on my remote and now all I have is snow".

Youre young enough and smart enough, I'm sure you can reason or research your way out of any such situation, but if not... Best Buy has better than average to good phone support and any brick and mortar is better than an offline for support.

In closing, I guess I should have been more supportive of your new purchase. I just see people a year or so after purchase very disappointed and hoped to help you avoid that same fate. I hope your new TV gives you many, many years of trouble free entertainment and enjoyment.
  • olcowhand and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#9 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 09:52 AM

Sounds like someone is upset that he doesn't sell the Insignia brand. :poke:  :D

• MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,292 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 11:21 AM