9 replies to this topic

#1 jweaver OFFLINE  

jweaver

• Member No: 740
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 11:30 PM

i everyone
i have a restoration businnes and evey mf 10 and mf12 have done has the same problem with the grill that being that they are all broke out where the hood fasten to the gill and most of the time it brakes the screen as well. My question to the massey guys is i can get made these just like the original ones for around $300 to $325 bucks is this something you guy think will sell or will i be wasting my time and money have to order 6+ to get that price. Thanks for your help.

Edited by jweaver, January 06, 2011 - 01:20 AM.

#2 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 11:54 PM

IMHO, no... I know the grille is a weak area on these (the later ones had bolt in screens and not damaged as easy as the weld in ones btw) But there are a lot of "good" tractors out there for a third of that price as a full parts tractor. Heck, I have not paid that much for both my 12's combined (well, purchase cost anyway)

For a grille, $100 is going to really push it for most people, but I really don't think you would get any takers at $325 in this economy. Maybe NOS, but not repo.

#3 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 01:22 PM

Its a good idea but a nice tractor barely goes for $300

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 05:38 PM

That price would be too high for 99.99% of Massey owners I'm afraid.

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 06:42 PM

I'm sorry about the earlier response, I could've sworn I read that you were asking about the bezel...

To answer your question, only a diehard restorer would bite on that one, there are other (not exact) screens that can be used in it's place. It wouldn't be exactly the same, but there are some options, I bet someone here has used a substitute... anyone?

#6 jweaver OFFLINE  

jweaver

• Member No: 740
  • 3 Thanks
  • 20 posts

Posted January 06, 2011 - 01:16 AM

that price is not just for the screen it is for a hole new grill with the screen do to the fact that all the spot welds on the grill bar and frame all have to be undone to get the screen out and then spot welded back in so at that point it was cheaper to get the hole grill redone to specks of the old one just putting out some fellers i have 2 guys local that are very interested and the one is my local massey deal thanks

#7 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 06, 2011 - 05:42 PM

My statement was with the understanding that the product would be the entire grille shell. As I said, for the cost, the market is not there. You are more than welcome to build and bring them to market... but as I and others have stated, you will probably not find a market for the price. That said, I feel that the work and materials to create a grille that is a very good match to the OE is "worth" $300.00 because I know steel, labor, and the effort to make the grille. There just is not a lucrative market for them. Unlike the venture with the hood trim rings that are almost always damaged beyond repair, the grille shells can be found with minor and repairable damage to them.
What you really have to look at, is that there are plenty of tractors sold for parts for a third of that cost with grilles in them that can be used. If one were in such dire need of a grille shell, they could buy a tractor, keep the grille, and sell the rest in parts and not only cover the cost, but make money in the process. I am not trying to stop the process of new parts, that would be stupid... But at the same time, I keep a pretty good eye on what sells on e-bay and craigslist and I just do not see a market to the public at large.

#8 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 06, 2011 - 05:47 PM

PS: Here is one that I was watching on e-bay a bit ago. It was near mint and with 7 bids, sold for $60.00

Massey Ferguson Grille Grille for MF10 MF12 MF 10 12 - eBay (item 270683407232 end time Dec-29-10 12:38:47 PST)

Here was another very straight, later model grill with the bolt in screen that again sold for $60.00

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item2eb0b557ad

Even here, this complete 12 with mower deck and RUNNING sold for just $177.50

http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item4cf4272db5

Edited by FirefyterEmt, January 06, 2011 - 05:53 PM.

#9 MF10 DIESEL OFFLINE  

MF10 DIESEL

• Member No: 109
  • 73 Thanks
  • 202 posts

Posted January 07, 2011 - 09:29 AM

I think a better idea would be an affordable screen kit / hood hinge reinforcement. $40 or so would be a good price. The screen would have to be exactly right. I wouldn't have any trouble doing the welding. This would be a better alternative as the good steel bars from the original grille would be put back to use.

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 02:28 AM

The posts following this were moved by request to:
http://gardentractor...wish-list-3925/

It's in the "Garden Tractor Forum" forum under the "Barn" category.