22 replies to this topic

#16 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:54 AM

Of course, the people's use of fossil fuels in their carriages and wagons made the problem much worse........

Here's a link for more reading:  http://en.wikipedia....ithout_a_Summer

SmitTY

Careful now Smitty!! That could be throwing gasoline on a brush fire?

There are some out there that want to blame it on the Farmers livestock creating methane gas? :wallbanging:

• Utah Smitty and boyscout862 have said thanks

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:57 AM

The weather is cyclic. The earth normally wants to warm up but we get occurrences that cool it off. These can be volcanoes or meteroite strikes that put tons of dust in the atmosphere. The cold 50s and 60s were probably in part due to all the nuke tests. After Mt. St Helens we had a few cold years here.

Our air pollution has probably increased the warming up. The scary part is the melting of the ice caps. If the gulf stream shuts down(which it has before) northern europe will be much colder.

Global warming means that the overall average temperature has risen. This has caused a change in weather patterns so that some areas are colder and some are warmer. Some are wetter and some are drier. The whole problem may go away or even go to cooling if one of the recently active volcanos decides to blow.

In the mean time we all should try to conserve our resources and prepare for harder times. Things like catching roof water for watering the garden, making the house more energy efficient, driving less, and
recycling(such as restoring old tractors) will help ourselves and our community. Good Luck, Rick

Yeah Rick St Helens sure did effect the weather. We had temps way above normal in May and through the summer that year and winter was colder too.

All that ash in suspension in the atmosphere really messed things up.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#18 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,804 Thanks
  • 7,545 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 11:58 AM

JD did you get the ash from Mt St Helens? Good Luck, Rick

#19 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 12:22 PM

JD did you get the ash from Mt St Helens? Good Luck, Rick

I really don't remember? I know they said Minnesota did. I do remember that the Sunsets(Brilliant Red) showed a lot of ash in suspension in the atmosphere  but whether it ever made ground level I can't say. 

• boyscout862 said thank you

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 12:39 PM

Careful now Smitty!! That could be throwing gasoline on a brush fire?

There are some out there that want to blame it on the Farmers livestock creating methane gas? :wallbanging:

Well, they they's also better start draining all the wetlands they're trying to preserve, even forcing people with wetlands on their property to not develop or drain them...

Methane gas is produced by decaying vegetable matter--doesn't matter if it's in a cow's stomach, a swamp or marsh, or even coming from a politician :firejumper:

Smitty

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#21 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 04:08 PM

Honestly, this is a typical northern Iowa winter here.  We have been spoiled the last couple of years with above normal temps and/or a lot less snow than usual.  I remember as a kid there being a lot more snow in the 70's (although to a kid, snowdrifts looked a lot bigger).  It's just the typical ebb and flow of the climate as JD stated.  Granted the extremes of the past few seasons have been worrisome, it's nothing that hasn't been seen before (the dust bowl, 1990's flooding, last summer's drought).  It will all happen again at some point, and to that generation, it will be the 'worst' thing in history to them...

Guess we all have to stay positive and hope that things will turn out better in the near (and may I stress...NEAR) future.  wasn't wuite expecting this thread to go this direction, but all's good.  Thanks for making us all think and reflect JD.

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#22 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 09:45 AM

Honestly, this is a typical northern Iowa winter here.  We have been spoiled the last couple of years with above normal temps and/or a lot less snow than usual.  I remember as a kid there being a lot more snow in the 70's (although to a kid, snowdrifts looked a lot bigger).  It's just the typical ebb and flow of the climate as JD stated.  Granted the extremes of the past few seasons have been worrisome, it's nothing that hasn't been seen before (the dust bowl, 1990's flooding, last summer's drought).  It will all happen again at some point, and to that generation, it will be the 'worst' thing in history to them...

Guess we all have to stay positive and hope that things will turn out better in the near (and may I stress...NEAR) future.  wasn't wuite expecting this thread to go this direction, but all's good.  Thanks for making us all think and reflect JD.

I was not expecting this thread to go this direction either??  Got so many things rambling around in my head I never know what's going to come out? :wave:

• allisb10page said thank you

#23 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 09:58 AM

I was not expecting this thread to go this direction either??  Got so many things rambling around in my head I never know what's going to come out? :wave:

Know exactly what you mean!  Am between jobs now (new one to start next week) and have had Way too much time to sit around and think.  Some of which is good, some bad.  At least I have not had to be outdoors to often with this nasty cold weather (to keep on the blizzard theme), but I am starting to get a little stir-crazy. 

Come on Mother Nature....throw us a bone already....we didn't even get our January thaw!