22 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 08:45 PM

It had quit snowing by morning and the drive was not at all bad.
Got home tonight and the drive averaged 12 inches deep and drifts 3 ft deep.
I got it cleaned out by about 6:oo, the wind is supose to blow all night.
Will have to see what the morning brings.
  • hamman, boyscout862, A.C.T. and 1 other said thanks

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 33,744 Thanks
  • 43,007 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 08:53 PM

Glad you have it cleaned up some! Probably have more to do because of the wind.

• JD DANNELS and A.C.T. have said thanks

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,306 Thanks
  • 1,485 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 09:25 PM

... the morning brings.

Edited by New.Canadian.DB.Owner, February 05, 2014 - 09:29 PM.

• JD DANNELS and A.C.T. have said thanks

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,364 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 09:54 PM

SNOW is becoming a four letter word!

• JD DANNELS, boyscout862, superspeedex and 2 others have said thanks

#5 zippy1 ONLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 631 Thanks
  • 388 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 12:25 AM

Glad it was someplace other than here for a change. :bounce: We've had just about enough of this s..snow for one year.

Good luck with the drifting overnight.

#6 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,214 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 01:17 AM

Send it to PA.. JS5020 said he would like some more..

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,595 Thanks
  • 14,140 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 06:02 AM

Got some more here as well. The folks who do snow removal are having a good year.

#8 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 09:08 AM

Well JD, we only got less than a 1/4 inch up here, but I feel your pain.  Sorry to say, but I'm glad we didn't get that this time...but I am sure there will be more on the way (BLAH).  The cattle look really cold here this morning though....so looking forward to temps above 30 for a change.  Average for this time of year should be above 29 already.  What gives!!

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 09:15 AM

Well this morning was a little better?  Got up this morning to 10 below temps, the wind had gone down so the drive did not drift shut over night.   Tire was low on the car so I had to pump that up. Feed the Dog I got stuck with. Then had my insulated packs on and got a mile up the road and realized I had forgot my work boots. Went home and got them, then off to work.  They are saying we will get more snow tomorrow night.

The Drifts last night were very hard and it was the first time I could not take a full 5 ft pull with the Ford. Had to take smaller bites and tear the drifts apart.  Saturday I will have to push the piles back . I have to get fuel for the Ford tonight.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#10 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• 3,787 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 09:29 AM

Well JD, we only got less than a 1/4 inch up here, but I feel your pain.  Sorry to say, but I'm glad we didn't get that this time...but I am sure there will be more on the way (BLAH).  The cattle look really cold here this morning though....so looking forward to temps above 30 for a change.  Average for this time of year should be above 29 already.  What gives!!

Well you could always lay it off to Global Warming/Climate Change?  I only half believe that. I will acknowledge that out carbon fuel use has to have some effect on our weather but not to the point it should cause wide spread panic.

Scientists claim that earth is billions of years old. We have been keeping accurate weather records for about 200 yrs. I can't imagine any thinking scientist would consider(billions of years divided by 200) to be a sampling to base fact on??   History tells us that there have been cold and warm cycles throughout history. The Native Americans crossing the Ice Bridge from Northern Europe to North America, The Vikings finding North America during a warming cycle, Columbus finding North America(actually the Carribean) during a warming cycle. All leads me to believe our weather runs in cycles and we are on the down side now.  I was there and remeber that temps this cold for long periods was common in the late 50's and early 60's.

We are just caught in the downside a cyclic trend in my opinion.

#11 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,253 Thanks
  • 8,353 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:02 AM

The weather is cyclic. The earth normally wants to warm up but we get occurrences that cool it off. These can be volcanoes or meteroite strikes that put tons of dust in the atmosphere. The cold 50s and 60s were probably in part due to all the nuke tests. After Mt. St Helens we had a few cold years here.

Our air pollution has probably increased the warming up. The scary part is the melting of the ice caps. If the gulf stream shuts down(which it has before) northern europe will be much colder.

Global warming means that the overall average temperature has risen. This has caused a change in weather patterns so that some areas are colder and some are warmer. Some are wetter and some are drier. The whole problem may go away or even go to cooling if one of the recently active volcanos decides to blow.

In the mean time we all should try to conserve our resources and prepare for harder times. Things like catching roof water for watering the garden, making the house more energy efficient, driving less, and
recycling(such as restoring old tractors) will help ourselves and our community. Good Luck, Rick
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,682 Thanks
  • 1,773 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:26 AM

Send it to PA.. JS5020 said he would like some more..

Heck, send some to Utah!!  We've had two good storms this year is all--snowpack is way below normal.  This is where we get our water, so we'll be in drought if we don't get some more...

Smitty

#13 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,682 Thanks
  • 1,773 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:35 AM

Well you could always lay it off to Global Warming/Climate Change?  I only half believe that. I will acknowledge that out carbon fuel use has to have some effect on our weather but not to the point it should cause wide spread panic.

Scientists claim that earth is billions of years old. We have been keeping accurate weather records for about 200 yrs. I can't imagine any thinking scientist would consider(billions of years divided by 200) to be a sampling to base fact on??   History tells us that there have been cold and warm cycles throughout history. The Native Americans crossing the Ice Bridge from Northern Europe to North America, The Vikings finding North America during a warming cycle, Columbus finding North America(actually the Carribean) during a warming cycle. All leads me to believe our weather runs in cycles and we are on the down side now.  I was there and remeber that temps this cold for long periods was common in the late 50's and early 60's.

We are just caught in the downside a cyclic trend in my opinion.

I agree!!  And, let's not forget the "year without a summer" in 1816.  Snow fell in New York and Maine in June. New York City saw temps of -26 F.  A thick fog persisted through most of Europe and the Northeastern United States... such that the sun was dimmed enough that people could see the sun spots.

Crops couldn't grow without sufficient sunlight and temperatures stayed abnormally low.  Many areas experienced starvation and the death of farm animals, etc.

The conditions were created by an unusual solar activity in the sun and the eruption of Mount Tambora in what is now Indonesia. The earth was also in the waning years of "The Little Ice Age".

Of course, the people's use of fossil fuels in their carriages and wagons made the problem much worse........

Here's a link for more reading:  http://en.wikipedia....ithout_a_Summer

Smitty

#14 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,682 Thanks
  • 1,773 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:38 AM

The weather is cyclic. The earth normally wants to warm up but we get occurrences that cool it off. These can be volcanoes or meteroite strikes that put tons of dust in the atmosphere. The cold 50s and 60s were probably in part due to all the nuke tests. After Mt. St Helens we had a few cold years here...

In the mean time we all should try to conserve our resources and prepare for harder times. Things like catching roof water for watering the garden, making the house more energy efficient, driving less, and
recycling(such as restoring old tractors) will help ourselves and our community. Good Luck, Rick

Some good points Rick.  An interesting, and frustrating side note.  In many areas, including parts of Utah, we're expected to control water runoff from our property... YET, we're not permitted to catch rain water for use on gardens, etc... go figure...

Smitty

#15 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 11,253 Thanks
  • 8,353 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:47 AM

Sounds like a typical government Catch 22. I catch my rain water in barrels and tanks and the only thing I hear is approval from people that see it. My father was doing it 50 years ago. Good Luck, Rick

Edited by boyscout862, February 06, 2014 - 10:50 AM.