OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 05:48 PM

... 2. Buy used, but decent tractor. Maybe score a deal with a snow blower already attached... I saw an older Bolens, with snow blower, in great shape for $1200. From what I understand they were a pretty good machine. ...

This is probably the best bet, as you will get a lot more bang for your buck :D :D :D

Bolens made some of the best GTs out there. That's especially true for the 2-cylinder Large Frame models.

With 3 acres, I'm thinking that one of Large Frame models would be your best bet as they can have up to a 54" deck.  The Tube Frames are nice as well, but the larges deck available for them is 42". Now, if you aren't concerned about getting it mowed fast, then one of the Tube Frames would work.

There will be some folks that will say that $1,200.00 for a LF Bolens is too much, but if it's an 1886, HT18, HT20, or  HT23,  and in good mechanical condition, not rusted and beat up, and has the deck and snowcaster, I'd say that it isn't too far out of line. It's always worth trying to haggle when buying a used tractor anyway  :D :D :D

If it's one of the single cylinders, 1250, 1455, 1446, or 1477, then it would be worth  lot less.

There are some other makes out there that will do a good job for you as well, so it would be good to keep an open mind.

• boyscout862, twostep, Bill 76 and 1 other said thanks

#17 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:55 PM

there is a lot to learn before you lay down your money. And your computer can be your best friend,
I agree 2k in a machine can buy a good machine, but buying Big Box store machines will likely mean you will be doing it all over in a few years. All the good Garden tractors are lumped into the Lawn tractor section of tractordata.com. That is a great source for specs on machines. Also start looking at Craiglist or the equivalent in your area. That will give you a lot of info on what is available used in your area. Many of the larger implement dealers iin my area have websiites and list their used machines.
  • boyscout862, twostep, TomLGT195 and 2 others have said thanks

#18 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:30 PM

I would go used, the new stuff doesn't even last 2 seasons (at least for me) :(

If you are looking for a garden tractor I would go with a John Deere 140 or something like that, the 300 series are also nice machines.

They are stout, with hydraulics which includes hydraulic deck lift, blade, snow blower and ect (the manual lift can get tiring after a while)

Or you can go a little bigger and get a compact or sub compact tractor, I have a 1995 Kubota L2000 (20hp) I have had it for a year now with no problems. I use it everyday because it has a loader, 3-pt finish mower, box blade, backhoe, plow, 3-pt snow blower and ect.

It is diesel (does incredible on fuel) and it always starts, last night it got down to -8 degrease and it fired right up right up this morning!

If you go with a garden tractor, I would diffidently go older, it seems like when ever I get anything newer it just junks out the next year and I'm out time and money.

Good luck on your search, I hope you find what you are looking for! :wave:

• boyscout862, Bill 76 and hhb have said thanks

#19 zippy1 OFFLINE  

zippy1
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 50881
  • 610 Thanks
  • 383 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 01:03 AM

personally I Know nothing of these tractors others are suggestion, and I am sure they are giving you great advice thus far. But from here on I will be discussing only what I know.

I would stay away from the lawn tractors of any manufacturer, they are just to lightly built for anything other that mowing grass, and three acres is asking much out of one. 

I have picked up most of my tractors for well under $500. Added a 3pt hitch and maybe a push blade and I was in business, for under a grand, easily.

I just grabbed a cub cadet 149 with hydraulic lift, hydro transaxle, 42" push blade and tiller attachment for $600 with a 42" mower deck. The deck is rough, but complete. and nearly every part for the tractor is available from cub.

I also picked up a very clean 782 with 44" deck, hydro with hydraulic lift for a reasonable price, Add a push blade or QA 42 snow thrower and you'll have a great used but not used up tractor.

Good luck in your search, 10 people, ten suggestions. Biggest thing is finding parts when you need them, and sooner or later you will. Regardless of brand you choose.

• boyscout862, Bill 76 and hhb have said thanks

#20 IHCubGuy ONLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 07:59 AM

First off welcome to the forum.  I have to say used without a doubt.  I think the biggest two concerns you should consider are staying in your budget and buying something that has good dealer support locally.  Parts for most anything if you are willing to wait for them when needed can be acquired online but its still good to have a dealer closeby to get them from in a pinch.  There have been many good suggestions on different brands.  Personally for that ind of money I would look for an 82 series Cub Cadet, (either an IH built or CCC built one), both are dang near bullet proof, or a 300 series John Deere.  Both can be had with hydraulic lift and 50" mower decks, they are twin cylinder machines with 17-18HP and have lots of parts still available for them.  Keep us updated on which way you go.

• hhb said thank you

#21 hhb OFFLINE  

hhb
  • Member No: 53431
  • 8 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 08:29 AM

Thanks everyone! I had a suspicion that older GTs were better built. My last one was a freebie a guy threw in when I bought a truck, it was around 30 years old, but it was just a low end MTD to begin with, and well used. Like vehicles, I tend to think that older but higher end makes more sense than newer cheap models, and I suspected it would be the same with tractors. 

In my area there seems to be a mix of brands available. The most popular of newer, non-bargain brands seems to be Husquavarna or Cub Cadet. I'm going to keep my eyes peeled and hope for a package deal that comes with a few attachments. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined and don't mind a few repairs here and there, just not every time I mow which is what the old MTD was. 

Here's that Bolens I saw, it's a 1402:

http://www.kijiji.ca...ments/557115321

But, I've seen other deals in the past so I'm not jumping on this one. What has been everyone's experience with reliability of snow blowers like this? I know with walk behind blowers you can get tough workhorses that seem to never break, or you can get machines that are a constant pain which is frustrating when you need to clear your driveway and get somewhere. It's one thing to let the grass grow a few extra days, it's quite another when you're stuck and need to get vehicles out.

#22 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 06:28 PM

Here ya go...

http://www.kijiji.ca...gationFlag=true

There will be danged few tractors that will move more snow than this.

The price isn't too bad considering that it has the 2-stage snowcaster and the cab. Plus it looks like he's willing to negotiate.

You may have to locate a mower deck for it, but those aren't too hard to find.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#23 BTS ONLINE  

BTS

Make Stuff Up

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11851
  • 2,733 Thanks
  • 1,727 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 11:11 AM

I would go with the one OldBuzzard found, that snow blower would move a LOT of snow, plus that cab would be great to have.

I would stay far away from Husquavarna and Cub Cadet.

I bought a newer cub cadet once and it was the biggest waist of money, It didn't even mow one season!, the engine started dieing out because it was so inclosed and couldn't get any air :( . It started melting the plastic around the dash, I ended up taking off the hood and sides so I could mow with it.

Then I couldn't keep belts on the mower deck, every time I would mow it would loose the belt, it would of course ruin the it every time and it would cost me $50 for a new belt..... After that happened a few times I finally just used it around the place to pull trailers until I ended up junking it. :boo_hoo:

I am now using the engine on a old 1973 JD 140H3.  :D 

I haven't had much experience with Husquavarna but I never thought they looked to great.

Especially if you need to blow a lot of snow and mow 3 acres that is hilly.

Just don't want you to waist your money like I did :thumbs:

I use my Kubota with a 3pt mower to mower the large areas and then I go back through with a cheaper small JD and mow around trees and ect.

You could probably find a 3pt mower for that big Bolens and then maybe get a smaller rider to go around stuff.

Good luck! :pushmower:

• OldBuzzard said thank you

#24 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 11:45 AM

If you are mechanically inclined, be patient & watch for a deal on a diesel tractor.  I bought my JD430 for just $1200 WITH a NEW 60" deck shell.  Frame was cracked causing speed variations.  Pretty much zero cost to fix that issue, then a $60 deck belt & the thing is a beast!  It's 60" deck doesn't scalp at all on uneven terrain, and I have plenty of just what you describe.  

New box store mowers won't last long at all mowing 3 acres, and with your stressful terrain, you will flex the frame till it breaks.

#25 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 12:21 PM

Go used! For 2000 you can get a good package and maybe even get the engine rebuilt and tranny and new belts, etc. It all depends how much you get in the initial package.

#26 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 12:56 PM

I bought my JD430 for just $1200 WITH a NEW 60" deck shell.

I am still kicking myself for letting that one get by me... WHAT was I thinking?

• olcowhand said thank you

#27 js5020 OFFLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 02:35 PM

I traded my old ride on, on it's last legs last year for a good lawn boy push mower with the intention of getting a new lawn tractor this year. I'm going to have a budget of around $2000 tops.

My question is, should I buy new or used? I have about 3 acres to mow, all hilly with trees here and there, fairly complicated. Ideally I would love something I could have a plow or snow blower on too for winter. 

Obviously I don't have the budget for a new tractor and blower. I've seen used blowers in the $500 range, I'm a little wary of them though as they can take a beating and could just be more frustration. To be honest, I've never used a snow blower or plow on a lawn tractor so I'm thinking simpler is better, and reliability is important (I don't want to be out in freezing temperatures, fiddling with the blower, fixing it every storm). I also don't want to be out fixing the tractor every time I mow in the summer, which was what led to me trading the last one - I never mowed the entire lawn once last year without something breaking.

So I'm thinking 2 ways:

1. Buy a brand new tractor, forget about the blower, maybe put a snow blade and tire chains on it in the winter. Not sure how well that combination works, but might be good for smaller snowfalls. So I'm looking for some suggestions in the $1500 range (tax and stuff will eat up the rest of my budget).

2. Buy used, but decent tractor. Maybe score a deal with a snow blower already attached... I saw an older Bolens, with snow blower, in great shape for $1200. From what I understand they were a pretty good machine. 

What would you do? Anyone with experience with snow blower attachments have any advice? Or plows?

I dont think there is any new machine that will be heavy duty enough to meet your needs/expectations for the budget you have set.  Everything I have seen in the big box stores is "entry level" and fairly light duty.  You need to be looking at used in the GT class, steer clear of LTs.

#28 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,604 Thanks
  • 29,833 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 02:43 PM

I am still kicking myself for letting that one get by me... WHAT was I thinking?

Lets just say you were being a kind, generous, and thoughtful person to tell me about it.  But in reality you must have had one serious brain fart, had way too much to drink, or your wife was still on your case for your last purchase.  :smilewink:

But back to the thread.......seriously don't consider anything new for 2 grand thinking it will work out well.  Anything brand new to stand up to your needs would be in the 5 to 6 grand range.... minimum.

• boyscout862 said thank you

#29 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,239 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 03:55 PM

Find a 70s Cub Cadet 128.  Perfect tractor for all types of lawns.

Find a runner on craigs list for 250-500 dollars, clean it up, put maybe 250 in it and pocket the rest of the cash.

Thats my 4 cents worth(inflation is a SOB)

#30 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 06:56 PM

Do not be afraid to buy a little bigger machine than you think need!! I moved onto 9 acres three years ago and bought a John Deere 318. I was mowing the whole property with it. and all but about an acre and a half had been corn field(read that as very rough).
The John Deere is a very good machine, but the rough ground was beating it and me to death. I do nt intend to get rid of the JD I still use it.
I bought a small compact tractor Ford and have even mowed the lawn with it. The machines just a bit smaller than mine make excellent lawn mowers and do a lot more than that. Trust me you will find many more chores besides mowing the lawn and blowing snow you will want to do with the machine.
The slightly longer wheelbase (takes the up and down out of the humps, larger wheels do not fall in the holes, and being diesel burns less fuel per hour than the gas powered Gt.. Several of us on here have the small compacts and if you shop carefully can get a great machine. BETTER TO GO FROG HUNTING WITH A 12 GA, THAN BEAR HUNTING WITH A WILLOW SWITCH.

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 07, 2014 - 07:05 PM.