Vote for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

- - - - -

Craftsman With Snowblower And Cab, Neat Ideas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic

#1 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 8923
  • 9,509 Thanks
  • 7,373 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:20 AM

This tractor is interesting to me because the owner made the cab and put a generator on the back to heat the cab and provide powerful light. This is an interesting idea for areas with heavy snow falls.

Tractor Snow Blower - $1000 (Branford)
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Fun project, but I need the room in the garage.

Tractor is a Craftsman.

13.5 hp Briggs and Stratton motor runs like a top. Oil changed every season. I run it out of fuel after every use with the in-line shut-off valve.

42 inch MTD 2 stage snowblower in good shape. Has surface rust on housing, but has zero effect on performance, nor is it serious at all. Does clog if going too fast. Did add an impelller kit which does help. Chute/deflector rotation works perfect, as does the lifting mechanism. Added drift cutters and a chute clearing tool as well. Spins very freely, no rattle, or grinding.

All 4 tires are in excellent shape/hold air. Rear weights and chains a necessity.

5 speed transmission with reverse works fine/engages strongly. Reverse is a little difficult to engage, but works fine.

Cab is made out of 3/4" metal conduit, either 20 or 22 guage sheet metal, all bolted together with galvanized carriage bolts, lock washers, flat washers, and nuts. Lexan plexiglass and clear silicone seal it up. Working doors with inside/outside handles. The whole cab is enclosed except for an opening between the front windshield and the foot pedal to allow the blower controls in and for ventilation. You could enclose it, but I never felt the need for it.

Has a radiant heater installed in the ceiling. Works great. Probably keeps the cab at least 50 degrees no matter how cold it is. It is powered by a 800/900 watt 2 stroke Harbor Freight generator, which sits in a rear weight tray. Adds another 30 pounds to the rear end. The generator works flawlessly, holds enough fuel for about 4 hours at full capacity. Also has a shut-off valve, and I run that out of fuel every time as well.

Also has 4 100 watt, I believe, halogen flood lights on the roof. 2 in the front, 2 in the back. All four work fantastic, and operate by an on/off switch on the dash.

Also has an amber daytime flasher on the roof as well. That is also operated by a separate on/off switch on the dash.

Also has a 110 decibel low/high horn mounted on the roof. That is operated by a momentary contact switch on the dash.

The lights and horn run off the 1 year old 300 cold cranking amp Interstate battery and the alternator on the motor. You can run the lights on just the alternator, but it does kill the battery. You can have the battery, but I would try to find a small deep cranking battery that would fit in the case below the seat. You will not be able to fit anything bigger than a lawn battery under the seat.

Hope I described it well enough.

Good Luck, Rick

#2 TomLGT195 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 29432
  • 2,738 Thanks
  • 2,157 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 01:51 PM

that should keep anybody warm. plus generator adds 30# to the rear, nice.   Tom

#3 Username OFFLINE  

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,064 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 03:42 PM

I developed a strong craving for popcorn after seeing that cab.

I would think that heater would overheat mounting it that way.

#4 Jack OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9304
  • 1,124 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 04:48 PM

I developed a strong craving for popcorn after seeing that cab.

I would think that heater would overheat mounting it that way.

That is exactly what I thought when I first looked at that set up.    A foul weather popcorn machine.    :say_what: