#1 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:16 AM

Picked up a Allis Chalmers 616 Special over the weekend. It will back up slowly but will not go forward. Belts appear to be on correct. This is a manual transmission. Runs pretty well, not sure what the problem is. Any ideas guysimagesCASGO4SA.jpg

GEDC0566.JPG   GEDC0564.JPG GEDC0562.JPG

• VintageIronCollector said thank you

#2 VintageIronCollector OFFLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,267 Thanks
  • 1,768 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:21 AM

Picked up a Allis Chalmers 616 Special over the weekend. It will back up slowly but will not go forward. Belts appear to be on correct. This is a manual transmission. Runs pretty well, not sure what the problem is. Any ideas guysattachicon.gifimagesCASGO4SA.jpg

attachicon.gifGEDC0566.JPG  attachicon.gifGEDC0564.JPG attachicon.gifGEDC0562.JPG

Looks like a good pickup. I would say to purge it but it'd not a hydro. I have no idea

• A.C.T. said thank you

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,753 Thanks
  • 7,523 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:29 AM

Clean the brake. Ive seen them hang up. Take it apart, clean and sand the disc. Make sure that all is free and adjust it. Then try it. Brakes tend to be stronger going forward. That may be why it works in reverse. Adjust the belt tension too. I hope that it is one of these simple things.  Good Luck, Rick

• A.C.T. said thank you

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Clean the brake. Ive seen them hang up. Take it apart, clean and sand the disc. Make sure that all is free and adjust it. Then try it. Brakes tend to be stronger going forward. That may be why it works in reverse. Adjust the belt tension too. I hope that it is one of these simple things.  Good Luck, Rick

Thanks, will try that. I'm hoping for a simple problem but you never know. As you can see it's still on the trailer, waiting for a little warmer weather. :(

#5 JoeMopar OFFLINE  

JoeMopar
  • Member No: 52259
  • 470 Thanks
  • 288 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 11:42 AM

If it was a brake problem wouldn't you hear the engine bog down when trying to go in either direction ?

• A.C.T. said thank you

#6 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,450 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 03:35 PM

I'd look to see if the input pulley has come loose on the transmission.  If it is tight, jack the rear end & watch the wheels while spinning the pulley.  While it is in the air, have you sheared an axle key?

• A.C.T. said thank you