Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Going To Join The Smoke Pole Club (I Hope!)

bolens ht23 mitsubishi l3e l3e diesel diesel repower

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 02:23 PM

The previous photo is very similar to what I fabricated for a couple of engines and they have worked out good. I'd say this is the first piece that needs to be made if your sure you engine is going to be mounted flywheel forward Then you can determine where the engine needs to be located in relation to your lower PTO shaft. If you fabricate one of these adapters be certain to leave the shaft plenty long. You never know when you might want to drive something else off of that shaft. 

This is kind of crude but it has worked for me and it is fast. Cut out a cardboard circle ( cereal box) that just fits the flywheel recess. Then take a small ball peen hammer and tap out the bolt holes like making a gasket. This will give you a fairly accurate bolt pattern if done carefully. 

If someone has a better option I'm looking forward to hearing it as I think I have another one to do. 

Edited by Cvans, February 05, 2014 - 02:24 PM.

• coldone, Alc and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#17 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 04:47 PM

Gonna be following this thread!  The title threw me off as well.  

#18 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 05:19 PM

So, is the SAE 5 x 6 1/2  5 holes on a bolt circle 6 1/2" in diameter???

Smitty

yes, five bolts on 6 1/2" diameter circle.  There seems to be another size that at least yanmar uses.  Here is a pic of what mine looks like.  It came from a Daihatsu in a zero turn mower.

attachicon.gifstub shaft.png

Where did you get this?

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 05:25 PM

Smitty

yes, five bolts on 6 1/2" diameter circle.  There seems to be another size that at least yanmar uses.  Here is a pic of what mine looks like.  It came from a Daihatsu in a zero turn mower.

Thanks, Boss.  There's another online company that sells stub shafts and pump adapters for small engines...can't think of the name right now, though.  I bought a small vertical mill and a 10 x 24 Logan lathe a couple months ago... need to get them installed so I can machine some of the stuff....

Regards,

Smitty

• Alc said thank you

#20 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 05:28 PM

Smitty

I just thought of something!! (First time for everything!!)  I have a line on a Toro 223D ZTM with the same engine... it might just have the stub shaft I need as well.

Thanks again,

Smitty

#21 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 05:42 PM

The previous photo is very similar to what I fabricated for a couple of engines and they have worked out good. I'd say this is the first piece that needs to be made if your sure you engine is going to be mounted flywheel forward Then you can determine where the engine needs to be located in relation to your lower PTO shaft. If you fabricate one of these adapters be certain to leave the shaft plenty long. You never know when you might want to drive something else off of that shaft. 

This is kind of crude but it has worked for me and it is fast. Cut out a cardboard circle ( cereal box) that just fits the flywheel recess. Then take a small ball peen hammer and tap out the bolt holes like making a gasket. This will give you a fairly accurate bolt pattern if done carefully. 

If someone has a better option I'm looking forward to hearing it as I think I have another one to do. 

Thanks for the tip.  I've done something similar when making gaskets for carburetors, etc.

The engine on the Bolens has the flywheel forward right now, so the diesel should go in with the waterpump side forward, unless I'm confused (which happens a lot, LOL).  What I'm going to need is to figure out how to run V-belts down to the PTO pulleys--the loader pump is driven off the front side, and the back side of the PTO drives the shaft driven tiller.

Regards,

Smitty

#22 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 06:02 PM

Yes, if the gas engine has the flywheel to the front of the tractor, then the diesel will go water pump forward.  That makes for a more "big tractor" look, and is how my "Hogzilla" is configured.

• Alc and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#23 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,486 Thanks
  • 5,014 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:15 PM

The engine on the Bolens has the flywheel forward right now, so the diesel should go in with the waterpump side forward

You lucked out there! Not only will that make mounting the radiator easier but will take some of the weight off of your steering axle. So far it sounds like you fell into a bed of roses. 

I bought a small vertical mill and a 10 x 24 Logan lathe a couple months ago... need to get them installed so I can machine some of the stuff....

Sounds to me like the fun of doing this project just doubled.  :D

#24 Jack OFFLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:36 PM

You had me confused by the title. Around these parts a smoke ploe is a reference to a muzzle loader rifle. I think the smoker would be cool in the Bolens.

I will have to say the title made me do a double take when I first saw it.    Where I come from if you are pole smoking it is something you most likely wouldn't want folks to know about.  :oh_shucks:   Good luck with your engine swap.

• Alc said thank you

#25 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 10:11 PM

I will have to say the title made me do a double take when I first saw it.    Where I come from if you are pole smoking it is something you most likely wouldn't want folks to know about.  :oh_shucks:   Good luck with your engine swap.

Well, at least it got your attention!!=,o)

Smitty
  • Jack said thank you

#26 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• Member No: 268
  • 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 06:21 AM

Here is a link to the stub shaft I bought, the seller had 2.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c35450fed

After some more thinking, I am not confident that the bolt pattern is 6 1/2 inches, the clutch plate for the flywheel would be 6 1/2" in diameter. There are a number of sites that give the SAE specs for flywheels and bellhousings and such. I will try to measure and get back to you.

#27 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 06, 2014 - 10:22 AM

Here is a link to the stub shaft I bought, the seller had 2.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c35450fed

After some more thinking, I am not confident that the bolt pattern is 6 1/2 inches, the clutch plate for the flywheel would be 6 1/2" in diameter. There are a number of sites that give the SAE specs for flywheels and bellhousings and such. I will try to measure and get back to you.

Thanks Boss--

I found that on eBay last night as well.  I did some checking, and it looks like the flywheel has a 4 bolt pattern, though I don't know the exact dimensions (based on pictures I've seen).  I'll have to get it unwrapped and start making measurements---also on how to install motor mounts, etc.

Another challenge is that the front crank pulley has only two grooves that are widely spaced.  The inner groove is for the alternator--not sure what the outer groove was for.  I need to find a way to match it up with the 3 groove pulley on the PTO.  Mounting another pulley if front of it would push the engine back too far... may have to see about machining the existing pulley...

Smitty

#28 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• Member No: 268
  • 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 27, 2014 - 03:43 PM

Just to correct my post about the bolt pattern on the adapter.  The SAE 5 x 6 1/2 has a 4 7/8" bolt circle.   I don't want to mislead anyone while trying to go off memory!

• Utah Smitty said thank you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens ht23, mitsubishi l3e, l3e, diesel, diesel repower