12 replies to this topic

#1 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 11:12 PM

So tonight I decided I've had enough and ordered DSL Internet. Website advertised 19.99 a month for a 6 meg connection. Pretty cheap. It's 19.99 a month if you pay for a 50 dollar a month land line. Screw that don't need a land line. I have unlimited cell minutes. So how much is it stand alone. 49.99. I argue with the person for 10 minutes how that's a rip off. Let me speak with your manager. I argue with her for 20 minutes how that's a rip off. I asked to speak to her boss. Got some official sounding guy. 15 minutes arguing with him. Keep in mind I really totally had nothing better to do.

After 45 minutes on the phone he agrees to just give it to me for 19.99 a month. I think I he was just tired of hearing my voice. I got back to the original girl to process my order and she said she has never seen someone successfully negotiate the price on a product. I told her you just haven't seen anyone with not a single thing better to do before.

Got a free wifi router too! And I told her I wanted a nice polo shirt extra large in the box as well.
  • MH81, Alc, hamman and 8 others have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 11:26 PM

I need you to negotiate my trouble with Sears. I'm penning a letter to corporate about their online "service"
I've been serviced enough on this deal.

Congrats on winning one.
  • hamman, oldedeeres and JoeMopar have said thanks

#3 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 11:34 PM

I just keep talking.....most places won't hang up on you that would be bad for business. If you can drive them nuts staying on point you can get the world.

My ex wife was amazed when I'd call comcast every 6 months and get free premium channels by telling them I was going to dish and they would ask me how they could get me to stay and I'd say 50 dollars in movie rental credit and extend my free job and showtime. I never got the 50 dollar credit but always got the free channels!

I do the same thing still. I call for myself then a week later I call fkr.my dad and get his extended.
  • HDWildBill, twostep, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#4 oldedeeres OFFLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,856 Thanks
  • 3,193 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 12:10 AM

"Never accept the answer 'no' from someone who doesn't have the power to say 'yes'" Well done!! It's great fun screwing with peoples' minds, isn't it?
  • Alc, twostep and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#5 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,640 Thanks
  • 1,054 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 01:49 AM

Glad ya got it for the right price, Sometimes ya just gotta get in someones face until ya hear what you want to hear.

PS if you get your free shirt, call them back and tell them it's the wrong size and you want one that fits.

• JoeMopar said thank you

#6 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 02:45 AM

"Never accept the answer 'no' from someone who doesn't have the power to say 'yes'" 

That should be told to EVERYONE...  I just ask.. are you allowed to say yes to this? When they say no i ask for their boss.. just keep climbing till you get the yes man..  I can be certain he would sooner putt with his putter in his office then deal with you or i..

• oldedeeres said thank you

#7 alley oop OFFLINE  

alley oop
  • Member No: 50379
  • 67 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 06:05 AM

I am in awe.! I saw my Father in Law keep a telemarketer on the line for a half hour once because he just "couldn't understand how their deal would save him any $$$$." They never called him again.
  • oldedeeres and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#8 shorty ONLINE  

shorty

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6172
  • 3,539 Thanks
  • 3,926 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 06:11 AM

That has to be a salesman's worst nightmare. Getting a possible customer that has nothing to do than haggle with pricing. Or just wasting time. A salesman that cold calls me will usually hang up out of frustration. I like to try to sell them something or ask for their number so I can call back when it is their supper time.

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,276 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 06:58 AM

I was thinking about this, it's the people like these yokels that make my job harder.
I deal with people every day and it is amazing how many actually think my job is to bilk them out of more money. No one where I work is on a commission, we strive to sell them what they need over what they want, sure, sometimes people read that wrong.

People come in all the time for laundry. We have a very good selection.
"Cheapest washer" is almost always the request.
The cheapest washer is of the design I keep complaining about... A 3 year machine. We tell them, make sure they hear us, but they still believe its going to last 15 years and I'm just trying to upsell. Then they cry the blues about us selling garbage when 3 years later it dies.

The other guy I wince at is the loudmouth. Had one in the other day.
His oven broke. Called us for service, agreed to the service charges, and when it wasn't fixable had a bird over the $69 the tech was charging for trip charge and time on site. Paid it, but wasn't happy.
Often on an unrepairable, we will split the difference in $ off a new unit if asked. We offer it to people who we feel could use the break, but this guy could buy and sell most of us. He demanded that we give him the whole $ back or he was not only never buying from us again (hasnt happened much anyways) but he was going to tell everyone he knows, blog about the experience, post on social media, etc... The guy sees no value in having a technician drive 1/2 hour to his house and wait until he gets his rump there to let the tech in (to important to be punctual) spend time properly diagnosing the situation and when it was determined to be Unrepairable due to NLA parts, our tech made sure the gas appliance was safely shut down from gas so as to not have an explosion or whatever.
  • powerking56, HowardsMF155, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#10 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,077 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:52 AM

It depends on the service.  When I buy an appliance, anything of that sort you have to understand most of the time a 399 dollar washer isn't going to last, hold as much clothes, ect as a 699 dollar washer.  There is no arguing that point. 

There are exceptions.  I bought the cheapest dishwasher I could find when I remodeled my kitchen because I just plain ran out of money.  It was a 199 dollar kenmore.  The sales man told me average use I'd get a few years out of it, he suggested I step up.  Honestly the 199 dollar one is pushing it.  But I got 5 years of service out of that unit(sold that house so it may still be running), biggest issue was the pump or motor on the bottom came loose from the housing, and I JB welded the screw holes, drilled them and reattached the motor.  Major failure? yeah.  Fixable for a redneck GT repairman!

The internet service is 19.99 when you pay for the phone, to add phone they flip a switch.  If they can offer it for 19.99 to phone customers why not everyone?  That was my point.  I wasn't asking for a discounted price that wasn't already discounted.

• twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,482 Thanks
  • 4,941 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 09:43 AM

I need to do the same with Time Warner. I keep finding out, I am paying $30-40 more a month for the same services my friends have, actually, other than HBO we have, they have more services like HD and DVR.

Everytime my sister gets her bill and they up it, she calls and says either drop it or I drop you. She says it works every time.

• HDWildBill, twostep, oldedeeres and 1 other said thanks

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 09:53 AM

"Never accept the answer 'no' from someone who doesn't have the power to say 'yes'" Well done!! It's great fun screwing with peoples' minds, isn't it?

Having spent the last 28 yrs in sales and customer service, I will do everything in my power to satisfy the customer, provided it is a win-win result.  However the primary rule in Negotiation is to never let your opponent know you have the decision making power.

You can not imagine how many people think my wife rules the roost and I can do nothing without her aproval.

She plays the same ruse, when they are talking to her.

#13 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 10:37 AM

I use to do the same thing with Direct. Worked every time. Good for you to stick to your guns and demand what they advertised.

I'm a firm believer that if you can sell it at $XX.xx to a new customer then you should be able to sell it to a longtime customer for even less. Companies these days don't see it that way and actually do just the opposite.

Edited by twostep, February 05, 2014 - 10:39 AM.

• HowardsMF155, Team_Green and oldedeeres have said thanks