38 replies to this topic

#31 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 52459
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 11:15 AM

Yep, our new (2 or 3 yr old) Massey roll baler is simply a Hesston rebadged as Massey.

I knew that Hesston is now part of Agco and that the new MF balers are Hesston. Thanks!

#32 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 11:20 AM

Oh, by the way, Intermediate speed is straight through, and is the recommended selected range to stay in the majority of the time.  Find the gear that works with intermediate range to work in, then you'll have a range faster & slower to powershift into if needed.

• HowardsMF155 and Gabriel have said thanks

#33 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 11:31 AM

Thanks for the pictures of yours! Were those pictures taken here in the USA? Our 165 as not been officially restored, but we did paint the hood, replaced the grill(the original was not to bad), added new hood decals and a few other repairs. It has over 5,500 hours and doesn't burn oil. I think the original owners took good care of it.

It is an great looking tractor, glad you found one in such good shape and then gave it some TLC.  I hope to one day buy enough land to justify buying an older 100 series Massey.

Here is a link which gives more info about the farm I grew up on.

http://gardentractor...t-of-the-story/

• olcowhand and Gabriel have said thanks

#34 Grumpy OFFLINE  

Grumpy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 440
  • 642 Thanks
  • 578 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 01:58 PM

Here is a link for Rudolph Bros. 

http://www.rudolphbrosinc.com/

• MH81 and Gabriel have said thanks

#35 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 12:56 PM

Oh, by the way, Intermediate speed is straight through, and is the recommended selected range to stay in the majority of the time.  Find the gear that works with intermediate range to work in, then you'll have a range faster & slower to powershift into if needed.

What causes these trans. to fail? Is it down shifting under load in the field or is it down shifting in high road gear?

#36 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,841 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 02:51 PM

What causes these trans. to fail? Is it down shifting under load in the field or is it down shifting in high road gear?

We've never had any real failures related to load or shift methods, only seal issues which dumped the pressures to the clutch packs.  Once the seals give out & drop pressures, it is then the discs can get to slipping & have a real damaging problem.  We've never had any failures of planetary gears or any form of gear failure.  The most we've had to do is replace the seals, discs.  The 2745 was the last one we got into, and it just needed the seals.  We ran it a while just using intermediate range so we wouldn't damage anything until we had time to get into it.

• Gabriel said thank you

#37 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Last summer I borrowed my neighbor's Massey 165 to mow my pasture.  It has a Continental gas engine and Multi Power.  He had not run it in a few years, and never was a tractor guy.  Neither of us knew to  keep the Multi Power in high, since the transmission free wheels down hills in low.  That tractor has just about no brakes, and coasting down the hills was pretty scary!

I bought a Ford instead of this Massey 165, since I need a loader, and brakes.  I might end up buying it after I get to the point where I need a second tractor.  It has a cab!

• Gabriel said thank you

#38 Gabriel OFFLINE  

Gabriel
  • Contributor
  • 1,440 Thanks
  • 1,858 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 07:39 PM

I bet it was scary. I know it doesn't make sense to shift to a faster speed before going down hill, but it is amazing the difference that engine braking makes. I read once that it is good to operate the Multi-Power transmission in high range as much as possible or if one can't do that, they should at least shift to that range occasionally to keep certain parts lubricated in the transmission.

#39 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,330 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted February 09, 2014 - 07:51 PM

I forgot Ryan had a family photo of some of the Masseys