30 replies to this topic

#1 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:41 PM

I don/t own a wire welder but really need one. It is at the top of my must have tools list,
I dropped off a sway control turnbuckle off at Dads this morning on the way to work. So he could weld it for me before the snow event today.
He has a Harbor Freight 110 volt welder. And has done quite a bit of welding for me.
He always has complained that it makes too much splatter and it seems to stick really bad(not easily knocked off).
I assume he had been using Harbor Freight wire. But when he did the last job for me I bought him a roll of Hobart wire. I notice it is just as bad about the splatter.
Now I am wondering if there is a flux core wire that works better than the two he has used?
Any ideas?

Edited by JD DANNELS, February 04, 2014 - 07:43 PM.

• boyscout862 and Sawdust have said thanks

#2 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:50 PM

Get some nozzle/splatter spray.  Spray it directly onto work, and metal around weld area.  When you use this stuff, after welding, you can LITERALLY wipe the splatter beads off with your welding glove.

spray.jpg

• ducky, MH81, Texas Deere and Horse and 11 others have said thanks

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,366 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:52 PM

I have always had that problem. Maybe Daniels answer can help us both out. I normally only use the gas when welding!

• JD DANNELS and boyscout862 have said thanks

#4 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 08:44 PM

Get some nozzle/splatter spray.  Spray it directly onto work, and metal around weld area.  When you use this stuff, after welding, you can LITERALLY wipe the splatter beads off with your welding glove.

attachicon.gifspray.jpg

The wire that came with the (new to me) Linclon does the same thing. 

Daniel is that the same as Nozzle Gel?  My buddy suggested I get some of  that to prevent slag build up on the nozzle.

• JD DANNELS, IamSherwood and boyscout862 have said thanks

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:52 PM

I call the nozzle gel tip dip.It's all I've used for years. I suppose you could keep a small bush in it and wipe it along the weld area it would keep the slag from sticking also. never tried. One thing you might want to consider if you have an air compressor is the purchase of a $19.00 air chisel. Sharpen the chisel and run it through the slag. I think you will find that it will take most of the slag right off.

• JD DANNELS, IamSherwood, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#6 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 12:00 AM

I have a 20 year old Lincoln 110V MIG welder that I just love.  I can put gas on it, and I even bought a regulator and a cylinder of CO2, but I have just used the flux core .035" wire.  I get some spatter, but a wire wheel cleans it up, or, if I want the job to be really clean, I just spray some anti-spatter on it.

One advantage to flux core wire is that you get better penetration than with a gas setup.

Smitty

• Alc, JD DANNELS, IamSherwood and 4 others have said thanks

#7 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,707 Thanks
  • 1,444 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 06:53 AM

It's not the manufacturer of the wire, just the nature of the beast.

attachicon.gifspray.jpg

I use a similar type of splatter spray, makes a big difference in cleanup. More than worth the $6.95 a can, which by the way, seems to go a long way. 

• JD DANNELS, IamSherwood, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#8 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 07:09 AM

I've got to pick up some of that anti-splatter. 

That sure would make life easier, dealing with the ones that land in the

tough to get at places/corners.

• JD DANNELS said thank you

#9 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,479 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 07, 2014 - 10:17 PM

My HB welder with flux & splatters pretty bad. I keep my grinder with flap disc in it and almost always clean up my welds due to splatter and cause I weld horribly. I bought a regulator to convert to true mig, but trying to find a ton without paying an arm and leg is impossible.

#10 Walkinman1 OFFLINE  

Walkinman1
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 34918
  • 713 Thanks
  • 552 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 09:30 AM

I tried running gas in my little Lincoln and wasn't happy with the results so I went back to flux core, .035 wire. The key is good quality wire but there's still always spatter to clean up, I've gotten pretty used to it. According to research I did it appears that quite often "cheap" welders don't work really well with gas because the hose liner and gun don't deliver consistent gas flow, apparently they crush and kink internally thus making the gas flow surge. When I get a better welder I'll go back to gas and keep the little guy for mobile use

#11 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 09:37 AM

I only use flux core.  Just too much expense using gas, and I don't worry so much about how pretty a weld is anyway.  The strength is what matters to me most.  Plus, how annoying would it be to "almost" finish a welding job, only to run out of gas!  I too run .035 flux wire.  I am out of nozzle spray though, so need to pick some up asap.

• JD DANNELS and Bmerf have said thanks

#12 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 01:34 PM

When I worked in the factory they used all 440 volt Miller and Hobart welders running either co or argon mix gas and .035 wire.
They did a good job and we cleaned most of the splatter with a stiff putty knife. If it was tough we used an 8 inch air driven disc sander.
The gas vs flux core question is one I have been debating and researching. I think for the materials we work with mostly Flux core is better. If one iis working with very thin sheet metals gas might be a wise choice. when i buy Flux core will most likely be the way to go.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,301 Thanks
  • 4,656 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 02:30 PM

Never used the anti-spatter spray but will be on the look for it now!  I always clean things up well before welding and havwe had good results with my Miller 250..

#14 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 02:39 PM

I just picked up a can of nozzle/splatter spray at TSC.  It was Hobart brand.  

• JD DANNELS and HDWildBill have said thanks

#15 MFDAC OFFLINE  

MFDAC

Only member from Western South Dakota!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5815
  • 2,026 Thanks
  • 1,122 posts

Posted February 13, 2014 - 08:54 PM

6 or 7 years ago I bought a Linclon 155 amp 220v set up for flux wire from a CL ad. Got a decent deal and welded with it that way for many years until last summer. I didn't like the wire sticking, slag, ash and spatter even though I too use the spray. I didn't like the results doing body work either so I researched what it would take to go with gas. My welder already had the fitting and correct liner so I got an HF regulator, and found an "Asco Red Hat" 220v solenoid valve on epay and a nozzle from my welding supplier. Ran hoses and wires and the welder was ready to go for less than 60 bucks, not counting the tank lease. Welding is now fun rather than a chore. Gas is cheap as well as the wire.

I have been told many times that 220v welders do a nicer job than 110, but didn't believe it until I could do a comparison. We have a Linclon 155 at work on gas that is a 110v version and I can't believe how much better my older 220v machine works than that one.

I'll never go back to flux core, no cleaning and chipping between passes, great penetration and beautiful welds. I still use the spray but it is mainly to make cleaning the nozzle as simple as tapping it against the welding bench.

I'm sure no expert but I thought I'd share my experience using both.

Later---DAC

• Alc, JD DANNELS, KennyP and 3 others have said thanks