• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 08:51 PM

We made it back about an hour ago. I definitely would not want to live down there. It isn't anything like it was when I was a kid going down to Inner Harbor or when I used to go down there drinking on the weekends when I was of ripe age.

Storm hasn't started here yet. Don't know what time it will but hopefully it isn't too bad. 

I don't know that Mastoid is the proper term for the surgery they did before. They have to cut behind the ear and fold it over and go through the mastoid bone to do the repairs to the ear drum and other areas. I wasn't sure why they had done the right one as I was only 10 when they did it. I asked my parents tonight and they believe it was because the bones were growing together.

Now for the visit today and the left ear. My left ear used to be my good one but lately and after the last ear infection realized it isn't my good ear anymore. Which led to doing some testing. They don't know if it is fluid or skin cells (clostiotoma sp? is the technical term the doc used). My ear drum is retracted too far and one of the bones is eroded away. They are more concerned about the fluid or the other technical thing due to infections close to the brain. 

I go down March 12th for the surgery and once they are in there will decide what and how much they are going to do. First priority is the fluid or whatever and depending on what they find they will try partial restoration on my hearing. Might possibly lead to a second surgery to finish the restoration on my hearing in that ear. They are also putting a permanent tube in my right ear. (supposedly permanent, but can come out on it's own sooner depending on the strength of the ear drum). I used to get the ones that would come out on their own when I was younger.

They still do the surgery the same way they did when I was 10 where they cut all along the back of the ear to flip it over and go through the bone to get to the ear drum. Good thing is they do it outpatient now instead of keeping you overnight. We just need to check with our insurance to make sure they are going to cover their part or if we need to see someone closer. We went down to this doc because he is the one my E.N.T. recommended.

• Bolens 1000, olcowhand, hamman and 4 others have said thanks

#17 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,210 Thanks
  • 28,584 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:01 PM

I feel for you and understand the decisions you are making. I'm hoping they will be able to give you back a significant amount of hearing.

Good luck buddy.
  • NUTNDUN and HDWildBill have said thanks

#18 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,681 Thanks
  • 8,882 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:04 PM

Will having a tube affect plowing at all? Will it require more beer?

I'm surprised you had to see a doc, around here we know to use tubes if you're going to add fluid. I'll send ya a PM and explain the search function.
  • NUTNDUN, KennyP and HDWildBill have said thanks

#19 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,222 Thanks
  • 5,065 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 11:42 PM

Hearing loss is terrible. I've lost about 50% in my right ear. I attribute it to power equipment and guns. I rarely wore hearing protection. Now I pick up the ear plugs.

#20 Dieselcubmike OFFLINE  

Dieselcubmike
  • Member No: 11127
  • 1,327 Thanks
  • 1,511 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 12:01 AM

Hope everything goes well George. Ill keep you in my thoughts and prayers list

#21 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,834 Thanks
  • 3,185 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 12:24 AM

Good luck. For me the stress of being in the city traffic is worse than the anticipated worry of the surgery. I'm a country boy through and through.

• toomanytoys84 said thank you

#22 Canawler OFFLINE  

Canawler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1273
  • 1,893 Thanks
  • 1,750 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 02:55 PM

Wow, I never knew you had hearing issues.  I hope they can get everything straightened out for you.

I guess that's why you just nod and smile when I tell you how ugly the Bush Hog is. :D

• olcowhand said thank you