• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • Member No: 28054
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 06:18 PM

The other day I was told about a local farmer who has tractors he was looking to get rid of because he was moving. I heard about a John Deere H and thought, why not take a look. When I got there, I started looking at the JD and noticed two tractors in the woods. immediately I saw the grille of one of the tractors and noticed it was a 1958 Bolens Ride a matic. the other is a Page walk behind tractor. Not sure if the page has attachments but the bolens has a rotted deck and an almost new snow plow. Both are rusty but no rot with the exception of the mower deck. The tins are straight on both and both are complete. Pages engine seems seized but the bolens engine turns over and has good compression. I researched the Page and found very little on it and I have yet to see one with a hood. His had a hood similar to a David Bradley without the side fins. I offered $150.00 for the pair and he said he wanted $300.00. I said I would think about it and as for the john deere, The engine is seized, stuck in gear, and needs a ton of work. and comes with a rear plow, cultivators, and a sickle bar mower. I offered $500 and he said $1500. Are any of the tractors worth the money he wants. He is in a rush to get rid of them (needs gone in 6 days) but with prices like that he may be leaving them where they are.

Edited by Matt O, February 03, 2014 - 06:18 PM.

• Alc, KennyP, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 06:46 PM

I won't offer an opinion on the Bolens and the Page, beyond that you don't see many "Pages" around here.  What engine is on it?  That might tell you if parts are through the roof or not.  I'd buy the Page, its rare enough.  I'm a negotiator, see if he'd do $200.  Chasing the deal is half the fun.

Look at this page for the H.  http://www.antiquetr...ports/jdval.htm

Prices are all over for green stuff.  The H is a desirable tractor, probably one of the least produced model series of the JD letter series from what I understand, but $1500 for a double stuck (tranny and engine) tractor is hard to swallow in my mind.  I doubt anyone except for a JD nut will buy it for $1500, but I might be wrong.  By the JD engine setup, remember that a stuck engine will probably cause the cylinders to have to be bored and oversized. 

Ben W.

• sacsr, boyscout862 and Matt O have said thanks

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 06:49 PM

If you don't buy them, could you get some photos of the Page & post them here, please:

http://gardentractor...e-two-wheelers/

• Matt O said thank you

#4 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 07:05 PM

It looked to have a Clinton engine but I am not sure of the size. The overall size of the machine though is pretty good size, and extremely well built, but not for that $.

#5 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 07:48 PM

At those prices, they will rot into the ground or end up getting scrapped.

• Matt O said thank you

#6 Username OFFLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 08:00 PM

You might have already seen this little bit of info: http://vintagemachin...il.aspx?id=1871

• Matt O said thank you

#7 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,625 Thanks
  • 3,918 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 08:25 PM

So in 6 days he will call the scrapper and get 20% of what he wants.......  :(

Edited by Gtractor, February 03, 2014 - 08:26 PM.

• Matt O said thank you

#8 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 08:45 PM

If the bolens an page are decent I would say $300 isn't bad at all I don't know much about page tractors had a couple riders years ago but the bolens if it's complete an could run again with a little work could bring that much alone Does the bolens have the belt guard this is important between that an the front grill I have seen those two items fetch $200 alone Snow plow is worth between $60-$100 to the right person I would say buy those two you got nothing to lose
  • superaben and Matt O have said thanks

#9 IWLBCNU OFFLINE  

IWLBCNU

• Member No: 5214
  • 120 Thanks
  • 157 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 07:03 AM

I would say the H with attachments is def worth his price, and may be a simple fix, but could need a rebuild. If it were close, I would be all over that H!!

I bought a B last year that was stuck, turned out it was rebuilt and never fired, I soaked it a few months and rocked it til i got it free, timing was 180 off and now runs perfect.

One thing to think about, if it was worn out, it takes alot more to make one stick, if bores are tight, they stick a whole lot quicker.

• Matt O said thank you

#10 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:41 AM

I researched the Page and found very little on it and I have yet to see one with a hood.

I don't know if you have seen these Page brochures - - maybe some useful info here:

http://gardentractor...-brochure-1951/

http://gardentractor...-brochure-1952/

• Matt O said thank you

#11 Matt O OFFLINE  

Matt O
  • 119 Thanks
  • 97 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 05:19 PM

After looking at the brochures, The page is the 1951 model and from what I saw it is complete, just no attachments. the bolens was also complete but mower deck was too far gone. still think his price is steep. They have been outside for years, theres no pain on them what so ever and need work. would $200.00 be a fair offer?