Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Nominations now being accepted for featured tractor of the month for February 2011!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
27 replies to this topic

#16 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,585 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 11:20 PM

I'll throw one in this month. This is my Struck Minidozer. It was made somewhere around 1970, but the actual year is unclear. Originally it had a seven
horsepower Techumseh engine with rope start. The dozer was inside a building that caught fire and burnt to the ground. You can imagine what happened to the aluminum block Techumseh in that fire.
A fellow by the name of Robert Gattenby from Harrisonville, MO saw the burned shell and decided it would be fun to resurect the little dozer but improve on its design. He bought all new shafts, pulleys, and bearings from Struck and started the rebuilding process. This was in 1981. His choice of engine was a fourteen horsepower Kohler with electric start. The Kohler and its battery wouldn't fit inside the chassis so he added a hood of his own design to cover the new options. Robert was 71 years old in 1981 and decided he didn't want a manual lift to tug on so he also added two way hydraulics. He made a bucket for the front and a ripper lift for the back, although he never made the ripper.
I met Mr. Gattenby in 2004 when he was 94 years young and he decided it was time to part with his little toy. His health was failing and he wanted to know his prized possession was going to be left in good hands. I bought the Struck from him just as you see it here. I have used it very little in the time that I have owned it, mostly taking it to shows. It does have plenty of power and traction to push dirt around. The biggest project I have used it for was to push dirt around my house to improve drainage and keep rain water out of the basement.
Robert Gattenby passed away in 2005.

struck dozer2.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• struck dozer.jpg

Edited by Gtractor, January 08, 2011 - 11:29 PM.

#17 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 11:22 PM

Good thing voting will be anonymous lol hard to choose.

#18 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,585 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 11:25 PM

uh -- you already told who you were voting for.

#19 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted January 08, 2011 - 11:29 PM

uh -- you already told who you were voting for.

That was before you entered, but you have to admit, electric conversions are just plain cool :)

#20 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 06:29 AM

Now we're cookin' guys.

#21 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,243 Thanks
  • 28,599 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 09:59 AM

If I can count, we're half-way to 10. Nice stuff guys!

#22 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 09, 2011 - 05:42 PM

Hey All,

Well, I guess I will throw 1 of my tractors in the mix.

I am entering my 1969 John Deere 140H-3 . Although 140 started being produced in 1968 with a Kohler K-301,12hp.In 1969,J.D. started putting a Kohler K321 14hp in this tractor. The 140 could be equipped with either a single spool hydraulic or 3 spool hydraulic system,and this is there the referince of (H-1,H-3) comes from. The tractor could be used with several different accesories. I curently have a 54" 4way hydraulic blade on this one.

John Deere really did a great job in engineering this tractor, some people feel this is the best garden tractor that Deere ever built. I personally think that the 140 and 318 are a close match for that title.I bought this tractor about 2 years ago in a deal that I made with a guy in Tn.. I ended up buying his whole collection of 22 John Deere's

1969 John Deere 140 H-3.jpg

#23 KBear OFFLINE  

KBear

Garden Tractor Nerd

• Member No: 1459
  • 89 Thanks
  • 126 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 08:21 PM

I'll nominate my International Harvester Cub Cadet 149.

This is my 1972 International Harvester Cub Cadet 149. Introduced in late 1971 models 86, 108, 109, 128, 129, 149 and 169 all had what is called the Wide Frame design incorporated to accommodate the larger-sized flywheel and blower housing of the Kohler higher horse power engines. At this time wide frame models 86, 108, and 128 were still gear-driven utilizing the Farmall Cub's transmission while the 129, 149 and 169 models were hydrostatic drive. All models used the original Cub Cadet's cast iron rear end and differential. The hydrostatic pumps on the 149 and 169 were fitted with auxiliary ports in order to accommodate the tractor's lifting and remote hydraulic needs through the Sundstrand Co. hydrostatic system.

The target markets for the higher horse power tractors such as the 14 horse power 149 were homeowners with large acreage needing a somewhat larger tractor for mowing. Although the International Harvester Cub Cadet 149 wasn't a direct competitor to the 14 horse power John Deere 140 for the garden tractor market owners of a 149 could purchase a Lawn Sweeper, Utility Cart, Box Scraper, Rear Rake, Back Blade, 42" or 54" Push Blade, Shredder Grinder, 36" or 42" Snowthrower and a rear mounted Rotary Tiller as added attachments. With the addition of a Cub Cadet three point hitch owner's of both earlier narrow frame and later wide frame tractors could purchase a rear sleeve hitch enabling the use of a Brinly-Hardy moldboard plow, disk, harrow, back blade and several other allied equipment attachment that were available at the time.

I purchased this 149 from the previous owner while looking at a John Deere LGT he had listed for sale as well. While there he let me know the 149 was for sale also and the rest is history as they say. I purchased the 149 almost two years ago now and I'm the third owner. As you can see the tractor isn't painted Cub Cadet Yellow rather the previous owner chose to paint it New Caterpillar Yellow. At first I wasn't sure about the color, but in a short time it grew on me and now I'm glad it's this color. Although the tractor was in great shape at the time of purchase there were a myriad of items that needed fixing throughout the tractor. As time permitted over the last couple years I've replaced with new and or fixed all that's been needed. Only attachment that came with the tractor is a totally restored 42" mower deck.

Even though I've not really put this tractor to work as of yet I have plans for its future use. By fabricating a rear mounting bracket for a 15 gal. spray tank I plan on making it my spot sprayer tractor.

GTtalk_ihcc149_a.jpg

Kenneth

Attached Thumbnails

• GTtalk_ihcc149_b.jpg
  • GTtalk_ihcc149_c.jpg

#24 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 08:27 PM

3 More nominations to go...

#25 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 10, 2011 - 08:45 PM

Good going guys. Nice to see the nominations rolling in. If we don't have all 10 nominations by Wednesday night at 12:00 pm I will close the nominations and post the new thread for the voting to begin :D

#26 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 02:14 PM

Last day to nominate your Tractors Guys!

#27 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 12, 2011 - 02:26 PM

There must be someone else who would like to nominate his or her tractor.

#28 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,673 Thanks
  • 17,198 posts

Posted January 13, 2011 - 07:00 AM

Ok The Nominations are closed.