32 replies to this topic

#16 Alc OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,291 Thanks
  • 6,494 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 12:06 PM

You might be able to make a tool that goes over the outside of the water pump bolts like the S-10 tool set pictured , if you don'r have a way to make a tool that big I've taken some flat stock , drilled a hole the size of the pump bolts , used a loner bolt and kind of jamed it as it rotated , good luck

Attached Thumbnails

• 4.jpg

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,418 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 12:43 PM

use a pair of vise grips on the pulley edge so the handle will rest against the pump or bracket, take the slack out so the grips are tight then wack the wrench with a hammer, mallet what have you.

Can't, pulley is a big cup that slides over the WP and is smooth on top. I can't even acces the back opening of the pulley and the smooth pulley ( smooth outside of belt drives the pump) makes it hard to get the belt to grip tight. Just no room to work or get gripping tools between the AC pump and Alternator. Not to mention, the whole belt system is on a tensioner, hard to get belt stretched tight enough.

I need some type of spanner wrench. The more I think, if I can find two long enough bolts, I can remove two of the pulley bolts, put the sacrificial ones in sticking out some and then lodge some type of prybar in there for opposite leverage. I tried that last night with a big screw driver, but bolt heads were too small to get a good grip.

I just had this stupid thing off about a year and a half ago when I swapped motors, but since it tightens as it spins... :wallbanging:

I've never had to cut one off yet so hope is still alive :D Maybe yelling a different story on tomorrow's posting! :rolling:

Edited by TAHOE, February 03, 2014 - 12:45 PM.

• KennyP, Sawdust and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#18 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,441 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 02:32 PM

On the "feel your pain" band wagon, the WP on my Ford Ranger 3 Liter died slowly.  It seeped for about a year before I noticed it.  Coolant got behind the timing cover & into the oil pan gasket.  The shop had to pull the engine & transmission to get those two items off.  They punctured the rad going back in.  They had it for 2 full days.  Nearly $2,000 to get it back. 

• TAHOE said thank you

#19 glgrumpy ONLINE  

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,503 Thanks
  • 6,374 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 02:55 PM

I believe there is a two wrench set to remove the fan. Seems there is a big spanner with two pins sticking out that go into the drum on pump?? OR there is another hex surface behind the fan nut?? Think the spanner one is correct. As noted, auto stores rent or loan those tools with a little money or card down. Auto Zone comes to mind in my area. Even in the factory, we had very big long handled wrenches to remove bad or damaged parts there.  They came off hard even with those and being new.

• boyscout862 and TAHOE have said thanks

#20 Bill 76 ONLINE  

Bill 76
  • Member No: 49625
  • 1,629 Thanks
  • 1,043 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 03:29 PM

It ain't coming off until it sees bloody knuckles,then it will fall off.-----------Good luck with it.

• TAHOE said thank you

#21 Bud W OFFLINE  

Bud W

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2359
  • 220 Thanks
  • 209 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 03:42 PM

I had ABS trouble with my 97 Tahoe, It turned out all I had to do was remove the wheel speed sensors and clean the rust and dirt off of where the sensors mount , grease the surfaces and put them back in. A way to check them is with an AC voltmeter on low range, touch the terminals of the sensor and spin the wheel. It should make at lease 450 milivolts of AC (0.450volts), if its less you need a new sensor.

• Cat385B, TAHOE and Sawdust have said thanks

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,418 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 04:25 PM

$2000 for a WP, ouch, sounds like big work.  Mine will be much cheaper, I have a good used in still onthe other motor when i did hte swap, it will be going back on. Only cost will be 2 new gaskets and antifreeze.

Yep, There will be at least 1 or 2 bloody knuckles, inevitable with me. At least the blood will be freezing pretty quick so I won't bleed out :smilewink:

Grumpy, there may actually be holes in the pulley for the spanner wrnech, I'm not sure. I may ask if they have rental tools when I stop to get my gaskets.

I have read up on the ABS and how to check them, but thanks. It's just been too dog gone cold or too much snow to work on them. I did pull the sensor out to check and I tried to clean, but the entire hub needs to come off. The fingers would maybe need a minor ligh sanding as they looked rusted, I also read to hit them very lightly with black paint to prevent future rusting. There is a build up of rust and a lot of grease behind there for some reason, maybe indication of bearing failure or the CV boot is split somewhere. If I have to go to that extent of pulling it, I can get a new hub with sensor for under $60.

#23 js5020 ONLINE  

• Member No: 7086
  • 526 Thanks
  • 661 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 05:51 PM

Get the bigger hammer and best of luck.

:rolling:  Thats usually my attitude when working on vehicles,,,, Ill work on anything else with a smile on my face.

• A.C.T. said thank you

#24 Jack OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9304
  • 1,124 Thanks
  • 766 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 07:03 PM

One of the guys I work with has the fan blade tool kit  that uses an air hammer.  I can borrow it and knock that thing of there in nothing flat if you want.  I haven't been working much lately other than building some displays at my sons computer store so I can get away about any time.  Let me know if you need to do this and I'll message you my phone number.  Oh you do have a source of compressed air don't you?

• HDWildBill and Sawdust have said thanks

#25 Sawdust OFFLINE  

• Member No: 36549
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 2,827 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 07:13 PM

OH Marty I hope your doing well. I'm not much use now but I wished I had seen this earlier today I could have came over & helped for awhile. Hope your doing ok buddy. My Dad's WP went out twice in the same winter, I was so mad over that he kept getting them from NOZONE...I hate that place, one part fits all.

Edited by Sawdust, February 03, 2014 - 07:16 PM.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,418 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Thanks for offers Jack and Jim. :thumbs:

First off, no busted knuckles :rocker2:  the work gloves helped with that!

I brought home the strap wrench from work, once I removed idler pulley, I was able to get strap on, pipe wrench on fan with a 3 foot cheater, popped right lose. :thumbs:  I was smart when I put it on....anti-seize!!!! That aluminum would've been fused with the steel water pump nose if I hadn't.

Then I had issues, gggrrr! My wonderful CFL light bulb in my work light couldn't hack the cold, it burnt out, it actually popped like a fuse. Then the regular bulb I put in it, couldn't hack me dropping the light, back to another CFL. I wasn't too cold as my boiling point began to rise.

Then I went to get my other "good" pump from the other motor. When I removed it, I saw it was wet under the weep hole. :wallbanging:

Off to Advance.....then I really get boiling!

PSA warning for those who shop at Advance!!

I know when I bought the previous pump, I got the lifetime replacement. Well, when he pulled up my profile, it was not there.

"our records only got back 2 yrs"

I know I put this thing on 2 1/2 yrs ago. So then he pulls up the parts list, low and behold there is the WP I had bought listed, but only maker and list #, no description, exact same numbers as stamped on pump. I made a fuss,

he said " well, we don't carry that brand anymore so I can't replace it

What the.... Then you replace with what you got, correct?  

The he said, " your old pump was only a 2 yr warranty anyway"

Oh really, how would he know if all the descriptions were erased? It was also listed as there "best" at the time so just like the new "best" one it should be lifetime.

Soooo, for anyone who buys at advance, better keep your receipts forever. After 2 yrs, you're screwed even if it's a lifetime replacement. I'm going to look in glove box, if I find my reciept and it says lifetime, I will be making a stink!

Now, my cheap WP has me for $50 plus antifreeze. :mad2:

Back home, get gaskets in place with thin film of RTV, get bolts started. Then I drop the socket and extention, of course it lands on top of the skid plate, can't access from bottom and my short arms can't reach it from the top. :wallbanging:  :mad2:  I ended up having to use both my magnetic grapper thingys to have enough pull to get it out.

Once the bolts were in, the rest went right together, filled with anitfreeze, fired it up. AAAhhh, nice and quiet, no leaks!

After a nice hot shower, my toes and fingers thawed and we are ready for the next 6" of snow due tonight :(

Thank all for advice and listening to me ranting and venting! :D

• Alc, KennyP, sacsr and 2 others have said thanks

#27 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,242 Thanks
  • 29,697 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:48 AM

My my....I'd swear you live here on my farm!  Sounds just like a lot of my days!  Thanks for the notice about Advance & their issues.  Hope you find that receipt!  Glad you made it through & got the pump installed.   :thumbs:

• TAHOE said thank you

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 6,418 Thanks
  • 4,886 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 10:08 AM

The 2 yrs thing at Advance must be something new. I put brake pads on something of mine this past summer, they pulled up my records for likek the last 6 yrs or so, I got free pads. No longer I guess unless you got a receipt.

#29 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,653 Thanks
  • 8,527 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 10:42 AM

When I get something with a lifetime warranty I give the wife the warranty card and receipt, Guaranteed that 20 or 30 years from then she will still have it filed away.  She recently went through her files and asked me if we still had this and that, things we had gotten when we were first married (28 years ago),

Glad to hear you got it up and running again.

• sacsr, TAHOE and toomanytoys84 have said thanks

#30 toomanytoys84 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,048 Thanks
  • 4,978 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 05:47 PM

My wife can remember a fight from 2 years ago and find a receipt from 10 years ago.
  • Alc and sacsr have said thanks