#1 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 09:33 AM

Pulled in the drive yesterday and Tahoe puked antifreeze all over....water pump.  :wallbanging:

We had just got back from hauling furniture for my SIL, God was watching over us cause we were 30-40 mins away with my big trailer.

Looks like I get to change the WP out in freezing temps tonight in the drive, ggrrrr

Started on it last night, dang fan will not unscrew off the pump and I can't hold the pump pulley tight to get any force on the two. Probably have to remove as a unit and put pump in vise and go from there.

Bad part is, if I don't get it done, may have to burn a vacation day on Weds, big snow predicted and Firebird just not the bad weather type vehicle!

Just something else to fix, I have antilock brake unplugged cause a hub sensor went out at New years.

• Texas Deere and Horse, hamman, sacsr and 6 others have said thanks

#2 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,230 Thanks
  • 5,071 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 09:36 AM

Water pumps are a pain. When my ram decided to eat the water pump seals I had a terrible time getting it apart. I ended up getting a new clutch and everything because I was so angry.

#3 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 09:56 AM

You need a Snickers, you get confused when you're hungry and Tahoe puked antifreeze all over....water pump.

• MH81, KennyP, Cat385B and 1 other said thanks

#4 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:06 AM

Marty, I feel for Yah. All of our Ford 7.3s use that screw on fan hub and it's a real pain. I made a wrench that will fit the nut and it's heavy enough that I can give it a good whack with  big hammer, I also use a strap wrench on the pulley to hold the pump side. Most of the parts houses have the proper wrenches that they will let you use or rent. Good Luck Buddy!!

• KennyP, boyscout862, twostep and 1 other said thanks

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,578 Thanks
  • 29,824 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:08 AM

Sorry to hear Marty.  My BIL Fred had the fan clutch go out on his truck.  He couldn't get the clutch off until he remembered his Dad gave him a large strap wrench years ago that he had never used.  Lets just say he worships the strap wrench now!

• Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP, HDWildBill and 2 others have said thanks

#6 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:23 AM

Pulled in the drive yesterday and Tahoe puked antifreeze all over....water pump.  :wallbanging:

We had just got back from hauling furniture for my SIL, God was watching over us cause we were 30-40 mins away with my big trailer.

Looks like I get to change the WP out in freezing temps tonight in the drive, ggrrrr

Started on it last night, dang fan will not unscrew off the pump and I can't hold the pump pulley tight to get any force on the two. Probably have to remove as a unit and put pump in vise and go from there.

Bad part is, if I don't get it done, may have to burn a vacation day on Weds, big snow predicted and Firebird just not the bad weather type vehicle!

Just something else to fix, I have antilock brake unplugged cause a hub sensor went out at New years.

The fan unscrews counter clockwise,  leave the belt on and turn counter clockwise. I use a big wrench and hit it the wrench with a rubber mallet. 

• sacsr said thank you

#7 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,585 Thanks
  • 3,900 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:24 AM

Don't know why manufacturers can't bolt the fan on with 4 bolts like they done for years.

My F250 with 300 inline 6 has left handed threads on the fan clutch

My F150 with 300 inline 6 has right handed threads on the fan clutch 

:wallbanging:

I took a permanent magic marker and wrote right on the bottom side of the hood which one is which.

They are hard enough to get off without trying to go the wrong way!

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, KennyP and 5 others have said thanks

#8 Username ONLINE  

Username

• Member No: 2568
  • 2,065 Thanks
  • 1,425 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:33 AM

I used to use the wrench and hammer but since all my vehicles had that style clutch I picked up this http://www.amazon.co...h/dp/B0002SRGE8 and it makes the job so much easier.

Run your engine a little to warm it up if you are going to be working in the cold.

• Alc, sacsr, boyscout862 and 2 others have said thanks

#9 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:42 AM

I'M SORRY SO SORRY  I fu-ked up big time. righty tighty lefty loosey. But the fan bolt comes off by turning the opposite way.   You have to turn the big bolt that the the fan is attached to and turn it clockwise,  not counter clockwise.

#10 boyscout862 OFFLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,750 Thanks
  • 7,522 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:54 AM

In situations like this, I've used an electric heater aimed at my hands to be able to work in the cold. The electricity costs abit but I work much faster and longer before having to go inside to thaw out for awhile. Good Luck, Rick

#11 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:56 AM

You need a Snickers, you get confused when you're hungry and Tahoe puked antifreeze all over....water pump.

You're funny! :thumbs:

I know the fan spins off counter clockwise, I have another motor in the barn I checked before I started last night. I tried it leaving the belt on, pulley just slips. I cannot get enough pressure on belt to keep pulley from turning. I have an old spare belt hanging in the grage, I may try to clamp it over pulley somehow like a strap wrench and see if that works. I actually think I have a strap wrench here at work we use on one of our lab plate grinders, I may take it home and try it. Cold is gonna make it a pain to work on, garage is too full to get Tahoe in, wife's Liberty barely fits in there.

If have to pull it all together it won't be the first time. Just makes it pain to get out. I had a 95 and 97 S10 blazer with same design....engineers need a good nutkick :shoot3:

• Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr, jd.rasentrac and 1 other said thanks

#12 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,697 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 11:01 AM

I can fell your pain.  I had to replace the fan clutch back in Aug. (I think) and couldn't get break it loose.  Took an air chisel to the nut but ended up screwing up the treads on the water pump so I ended up replacing it as well.  I have read on other forum (Dodge) that a lot of owner replace the fan clutch with an electric fan.  They say it runs quieter and the truck drives better.

• Texas Deere and Horse and sacsr have said thanks

#13 WNYTractorTinkerer OFFLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,302 Thanks
  • 4,657 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 11:06 AM

It's a pain to get the fan's off but I've done a few things like wedging something under the belt to give it more holding power..  I have a HUGE (24") crescent wrench that I just give a whack with a rubber hammer (in the right direction now R-to-L as you face the engine) and the thing pops loose swift and easy..  Good Luck!!

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#14 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • 0 Thanks

Posted February 03, 2014 - 11:17 AM

use a pair of vise grips on the pulley edge so the handle will rest against the pump or bracket, take the slack out so the grips are tight then wack the wrench with a hammer, mallet what have you.

• Texas Deere and Horse said thank you

#15 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 11:46 AM

imagesCA4VCB3T.jpg

Get the bigger hammer and best of luck.