Hi, just found this forum today and thought I'd share my snow blade project.
Hopefully it'll inspire some other creativity !
I'll post some finalized plans (altered with final configurations) and then some pictures.
The pictures aren't great (hence the plans) and they are of things when I first fabricated this thing, so do not necessarily reflect how things are now....
Now the pictures - captions are below each...
Here is the box frame that connects the blade to the tractor.
I started out with the springs shown, but ended up changing them as in the plans.
Lift rod, but it wasn't left mounted in the hinge half as that pivots with spring action if I hit ice etc.
I ended up welding on a tab separate directly on the box frame, just behind the hinge.
This worked better then expected. The mower lever has notches so when pushing I hold down the release or the lift rod will bend. I can apply a slight pressure this way to, but not much.
Next was figuring out where to mount the mid crossbar (it ended up just below the first bend in the tube steels). I wanted it as low as possible for push, but also the safety spring action if I hit something solid.
Next was angle for plowing. Too much and I'd be running over snow with the wheels, but not enough meant poor plowing action (snow won't run off the blade to the side).
With all that figured out I could weld up the second hinge halves and the angle link.
Without the link and extra pin, the blade mounts straight (a manual operation to change).
The link and extra pin are laying on the floor here.
Finally the plastic from the barrel goes on. A big barrel with straight sides is prefered, but I had one with only the mid section that was straight. So I cut it out, and then that into thirds for the blade.
Pieces are screwed on about 3 screws to each of the 4 tube steel members. This has held fine so far.
Finally painted and ready to test.
Other than springs and stops on the hinge halves that move, It has worked great this year (2013-14) in southern Ontario snow. I started out pushing the snow quite far back on the lawn. BUT with the abundance of snow we've had, I've needed to use my hand snow boat to clear it back even farther!
Oh yeah, I did change the scraper to bite a bit more - when I added the new springs. At first I had the leading edge just a bit higher than the trailing (the fence post is a T shape and I have two edges down - the top of the T facing forward - see plans). I did this thinking I'd not worry about skid shoes. I still have no skids and both edges touching the floor. It clears down to pavement better now. If the pavement was dry (can't wait for spring) then the blade does chatter a bit, partly due to the spring action and also due to no skids.
I have chains on the back, but no weights.
This is a light lawn tractor - "Weed Eater" branded by Poulan and is a 12.5hp Briggs.
It has no problem pushing this blade.
Thanks for stopping by,
Edited by kgingeri, February 03, 2014 - 01:00 AM.