• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• Member No: 8535
  • 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 05:06 PM

I thought I posted these pics last year, but must have been to another forum. This is the first planting of last years sweet corn patch, being hilled with the Special 5, and a set of DB hiller shovels. Dad had these hanging in the shed for years, and hardly used them. Said he didn't care for them. Looks like they did a great job to me..!! Sure beats a hoe..!!

I do have to admit, I went through the patch with another set of cultivators on the Super 3 and got the crust broke, and dirt finer to hill. I'm thinking that is the reason he didn't care for them, more then likely laying big slabs of crust over on the corn, and not going over it first with regular shovels on the front. Handy to have a couple with three different sets of cultivators, for various stages of growth.

Got another Super Power to get going here shortly, and two other sets of cultivators to try also. One set has pegs off an old horse drawn cultivator, for really small plants, and another set with 3, 5 tine weeders like on a push plow on each side. I had planned on making a set like that, as I knew I had seen a set like that somewhere. I did... He made up a set 20 some years ago, and I found them in another barn on the property. I love those kinds of surprises..!! 

Hilling Corn 002.jpg Hilling Corn 003.jpg Hilling Corn 006.jpg Hilling Corn 007.jpg

• Alc, Lauber1 and trowel have said thanks

#17 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the pictures.

#18 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 09, 2014 - 08:14 PM

The Sears 3 point toolbar that used had cultivators and just one of those hillers  :( I see you added stops to the saddle bar ,does that help controlling it ?

#19 DJ54 OFFLINE  

DJ54

• Member No: 8535
  • 75 Thanks
  • 43 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 06:28 AM

The stops, such as they are were on there when I bought it almost 30 years ago. The tires are narrowed up pretty good, and keeps the tires from grabbing the tool bar when turning.

Got the tractor & 6 implements at an auction. One of the best $185.00 I ever spent. It's been a real workhorse for me.  :)

• Alc said thank you

#20 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,446 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted April 10, 2014 - 07:25 AM

Thanks :thumbs:  I'm going to do the same , My yard isn't flat and when I used the plow the other day the rollers kept catching the tire chains at times .