• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 PROTREKKER OFFLINE  

PROTREKKER
  • Member No: 53341
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 06:55 PM

I know this project will be expensive but I would like to rebuild the Onan in my '73 Sears SS/16.  The engine is a BF/MS 2379B with the block #110-1943.  I have seen many BF blocks on ebay with part #170-2872 apparently from later year Sears tractors - some with an oil filter mount option and some without - for less than $100 delivered.  Does anyone know if the two blocks are interchangeable and what the differences are?  I would like to transfer the cylinder heads, internals, bearing plate etc. to a block in better condition like a BF from a generator setup.

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 07:26 PM

COntact onanparts.com and they can give you the info you need, and parts too.

• sacsr, superaben and PROTREKKER have said thanks

#3 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 10:03 PM

COntact onanparts.com and they can give you the info you need, and parts too.

That's who you need.  He has parts at very good prices compared to the very high prices you normally get from Onan dealers.

Ben W.

• PROTREKKER said thank you

#4 PROTREKKER OFFLINE  

PROTREKKER
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 06:53 AM

I discovered onanparts.com a while ago and both of you are right - they seem to have much better prices.  I will contact them soon for the information regarding the blocks.  My uncertainty regarding interchangeability comes from the parted out engines you see on ebay, it seems that a BF block with the 170-2872 number also uses a bearing plate and other parts with a different numbers than the 110-1943 block.  This makes me question how much of my original engine parts I can actually transplant to a different block, although I may get an unpleasant surprise when I actually disassemble my engine to see how much of a 4000+ hour engine can actually be salvaged.

Just in case all is lost with my BF, has anyone ever tried to transplant a John Deere B43 or B48 into an SS/16?  I see an issue with the 1 7/16" crankshaft with all of the Deere engines and also an increase in width with the B48, it looks like it would be a very tight fit.  I would rather avoid the performer engines with their electronic ignitions and tendency to destroy intake valve seats, especially the ones from Toro Wheel Horses.

#5 truckintyler OFFLINE  

truckintyler
  • Member No: 41579
  • 89 Thanks
  • 63 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 07:42 AM

I discovered onanparts.com a while ago and both of you are right - they seem to have much better prices.  I will contact them soon for the information regarding the blocks.  My uncertainty regarding interchangeability comes from the parted out engines you see on ebay, it seems that a BF block with the 170-2872 number also uses a bearing plate and other parts with a different numbers than the 110-1943 block.  This makes me question how much of my original engine parts I can actually transplant to a different block, although I may get an unpleasant surprise when I actually disassemble my engine to see how much of a 4000+ hour engine can actually be salvaged.

Just in case all is lost with my BF, has anyone ever tried to transplant a John Deere B43 or B48 into an SS/16?  I see an issue with the 1 7/16" crankshaft with all of the Deere engines and also an increase in width with the B48, it looks like it would be a very tight fit.  I would rather avoid the performer engines with their electronic ignitions and tendency to destroy intake valve seats, especially the ones from Toro Wheel Horses.

I put an onan from a sears into a deere 318, had a spacer made for the 1 1/8" crank to make it 1 7/16 , i didnt have any issues except the starter positive terminal touching the frame.

#6 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 07:24 PM

The Bf can be bored out to accept the BG43 pistons. It can only be bored out once to this size and cannot be bored further. THis is the Onan suggested fix for a BF block with bad pistons or cyliders. The Bf piston is NLA.

#7 PROTREKKER OFFLINE  

PROTREKKER
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 06:55 AM

That is exactly what I am prepared to do with my existing block; however, i want to have an option to use a replacement block just in case mine cracks when I try to remove the exhaust pipes or cylinder head studs.  The 170-2872 blocks seem to be more available than the 110-1943 ones.