Ford 4610

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bja105 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 06:49 PM

I got the new tractor to the farm on Wednesday. -10 F to start the day, but the tractor started up just fine after being plugged in overnight. The roll-back didn't do as well. The fuel must have gelled partially, and when we climbed the first few hills, he lost power and had to pull over.

We got the tractor unloaded, paid the man and sent him to his next call.
My main reason to buy the tractor now, instead of in better weather, was to move round bales for our horses. So, the first thin I did was put the forks on the loader and get a bale! And get Stuck! Even with 15.5x38 tires filled with calcium, I had no traction with a bale on the loader and no counterweight. Then, I couldn't get back out of the bale, even after putting it down. Eventually I raised the bale high and dropped it, then used the forks to push the tractor back.

Yesterday I had to work near some tractor dealers, so I went looking for a three point bale spear. I found a good price on a spear that looked good, and today I took it to the farm and fed a couple bales.

Everything works right on this tractor. It has a new battery, clutch, and brakes. The only thing wrong is the rusted rims. The valves leaked, and the tractor sat for two years as the seller divorced. I might get new rims in the spring. I need to decide if I should call the tire truck, take off the tires and haul them to a shop, or drive the tractor to New Bethlehem and the dealer here.

• Gtractor, Alc, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#2 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 10:02 PM

The 4610 was a good tractor.  It ought to last well for you. 

I would consider getting that tractor to a dealer or getting a tire service to come to you.  Don't underestimate the weight of those wheels with fluid in them.  I knew a guy who was nearly killed taking a tire off.  The tire came off fast once the lugs were pulled, and with all that weight it flopped over on him. 

Ben W.

• boyscout862 said thank you

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 12:28 PM

I would sure check into what an on site service call would cost. My Ford 1500 is a lot smaller than your tractor and I had them come out and put my new tire on. A knowledgeable tire man with the right tools can make the change while I'm trying to find blocking and jack up the tractor. He was on my place less than an hour.

I think you are really going to like the 3 point spear since it loads the rear wheels where the loader unloads them.