Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Tecumseh Interchange Q? (Poss Engine Swap In Mind)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • Member No: 19314
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 09:36 PM

As long as the shaft size were the same would an HM 80, fit in place of an H 70?    I'm talking mounting base bolt pattern,  crankshaft height and such considerations.

I may be picking up a Toro 7/24 snowblower with a claimed seized engine for cheap and know where there's an 8HP Snow king available...   this isn't an "emergency" to get going as much as a favor to someone else. but I'm not wanting to "rig" anything beyond maybe a throttle control.

unless I run into crank diameter issues, how 'plug n play" would this swap be? I know the HM series engines are physically bigger than the plain "H" series.

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 09:37 PM

Yes, no different.

As long as both are 3/4 crank, 2 1/2 long, 3/16 th straight key.

Edited by trowel, February 01, 2014 - 09:39 PM.

• dodge trucker said thank you

#3 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 06:40 AM

Here is all the engine specs,.for the 2 engines

Attached File  techm.PDF   894.78KB   28 downloads

#4 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 07:12 AM

Already got your answers. :thumbs:

#5 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:05 AM

where did you find that??  good info. 

nothing on crank height

yes those are the same motor, both "H" series. not "HM" series which is a lil larger physically...  can you post specs on "HM 80" or tell me where to find? Thanks for your help.

#6 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:06 AM

Already got your answers. :thumbs:

yup some of them...

EDIT  I googled it and found "line drawings" of the HM80 series

but couldn't find that info for the older H or HH series.

If I could get the crankshaft height of the H series I'd be good...

If nothing else anyone got one they could measure from the mount (or workbench LOL) surface to the crank centerline of an H series?

well one of the machines I was looking at is now "gone"  seems someone lives closer and can get there faster than I could... but there are a couple others listed I am waiting for replies from  that also have that same 7 HP on them...

7HP must not have been such a lucky  number for Tecumseh  it seems those are the most likely ones to find "blown up"

Edited by dodge trucker, February 02, 2014 - 07:31 PM.

#7 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:25 AM

When I had this little Massey Ferguson I swapped out the original 7 HP to a newer 9 HP with no trouble,not sure what series it was .

Attached Thumbnails

• Massey Ferguson 7.JPG
  • MF 9 Hp.JPG

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:35 AM

The 7 HP engine was aluminum bore and needed more frequent oil changes to keep it in good condition.  (Which is why so many of them died)

the 8 was (as far as I know) the same block with a different bore and a real steel liner.  When engines in a MF7 died, they were often changed out to an engine for a MF8 by the dealer.  I've read accounts of this several times over the years.

#9 drbish ONLINE  

drbish

Collecter

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2544
  • 1,158 Thanks
  • 1,161 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 12:36 PM

where did you find that??  good info. 

nothing on crank height

yes those are the same motor, both "H" series. not "HM" series which is a lil larger physically...  can you post specs on "HM 80" or tell me where to find? Thanks for your help.

Here is the one for the HM 80

hm80.JPG

If you measure with a tape measure on the drawings that will tell you if they are the same.It appears to me they were all drawn to scale.I have the complete book scanned and will download to the manual section.It covers up to the oh180

• MH81 and dodge trucker have said thanks

#10 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 09:54 PM

Speaking of manuals... in our "pinned" topic heading of Engine manuals, the 1st time that I got in no problem,,  but I have tried several times since and where it says "engine manuals here"   and I click on "here"   I get a message that says something like "sorry this file can't be found... I wanted back into teh Kohler K engine manual... I don't know whats up with that. Hope its OK to post site related stuff in a common topic area like this...

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 02, 2014 - 11:51 PM

Speaking of manuals... in our "pinned" topic heading of Engine manuals, the 1st time that I got in no problem,,  but I have tried several times since and where it says "engine manuals here"   and I click on "here"   I get a message that says something like "sorry this file can't be found... I wanted back into teh Kohler K engine manual... I don't know whats up with that. Hope its OK to post site related stuff in a common topic area like this...

Glad I saw this. Site issues are always welcome, but might not be seen as fast as if they are in the site questions forum. Anyways, here is a link to the engines area: http://gardentractor...engine-manuals/

Now, where was the pinned topic with the broken link? Could you be more specific?

#12 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 10:33 PM

Glad I saw this. Site issues are always welcome, but might not be seen as fast as if they are in the site questions forum. Anyways, here is a link to the engines area: http://gardentractor...engine-manuals/

Now, where was the pinned topic with the broken link? Could you be more specific?

it was in the Mechanical forum, the one for the Engine manuals

• MH81 said thank you

#13 dodge trucker ONLINE  

dodge trucker
  • 1,437 Thanks
  • 1,896 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 10:01 PM

OK I was able to get in by "this" link here in this thread, haven't tried the other "pinned" link in the Mechanical forum since I posted about having a problem viewing  "that" link

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 10:17 PM

I'm sorry, I did fix the broken link last evening. It has been defunct for quite a while. Thanks for pointing it out.