• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• Member No: 1713
  • 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:06 PM

well here you are, for those who like photos (which seem to be almost all)DSC_4361.jpg
my first time doing this so please be tolerant,,,,
I'll just wing the description since I do not actually see them....
the first one is to show the enormous weight box at the back, next a side view just to show overall condition, then there is the one of the 'tool box' under the seat, I was actually surprised at the absence of rust. The shot of the transaxle shows an amazing absence of oil! I hope this is a good sign. The last photo shows not only my Massey 10, but also my amazing Tecomaster 6 with a China 6.5 HP motor from Princess auto ($99. on sale) and a Muncie 4 speed shift knob (the only thing left from my insanely fast '68 Z 28 Camaro.
I type super slow, so I really hope this all uploads...

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC_4371.jpg
  • DSC_4347.jpg
  • DSC_4331.jpg
  • DSC_4362.jpg

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:11 PM

Good grief, you could fit another tractor in that weight box. Looks like it'll hold the back end down for sure!

Great find with an original (good) muffler AND hubcaps. Nice looking tractor!

#3 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:18 PM

Not to bad at all good stuff.

#4 tweidman OFFLINE  

tweidman

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5
  • 250 Thanks
  • 797 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:19 PM

Oooohhhh. Wow. Look at those shiney hub caps. Nice find!:D

http://gardentractor...0-dsc_4347-jpg/

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:22 AM

That's a nice looking "10".

#6 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 08:24 AM

You found a nice Massey Ferguson MF10. The weight box is definitely on the large side but at least you know you have plenty of room to put weights in. You could also use it to haul tools for various jobs around the house as well.

It has a lot of great things going for it. The sheet metal is all nice and straight, has the hub caps, the grill is in really nice shape. Just need a headlight bezel which I think 99% of all of the Massey's got broke sometime in their life. You can find used ones and there is also a fellow making reproduction units that look nice. Get a headlight kit and she will be good to go.

#7 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 02:37 PM

You found a nice Massey Ferguson MF10. The weight box is definitely on the large side but at least you know you have plenty of room to put weights in. You could also use it to haul tools for various jobs around the house as well.

It has a lot of great things going for it. The sheet metal is all nice and straight, has the hub caps, the grill is in really nice shape. Just need a headlight bezel which I think 99% of all of the Massey's got broke sometime in their life. You can find used ones and there is also a fellow making reproduction units that look nice. Get a headlight kit and she will be good to go.

hey,
i actually do have the headlights and that piece that holds them in(came in box when i picked up snowblower, which seems to be in really great shape), but no 'rubber trim' to go under the headlights(the trim is on the piece that holds the lights in place)

#8 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 03:43 PM

Looks good. Nice find.

#9 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 11:44 PM

Yes, that does look like a very nice tractor indeed!

You know, if you fill that weight box with cement, it would weight about the same as my lead one does! (my calculations say my box would need to be 28" to match the same as my 4" thick box with cement.) OR, you could fill that on with lead and it would sink to the hood! LOL
For the rubber headlight trim, you can slit some windshield washer hose (new from NAPA) and just sit that in place. It should work just fine.

#10 zolt OFFLINE  

zolt

• 10 Thanks
  • 90 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 12:11 AM

Yes, that does look like a very nice tractor indeed!

You know, if you fill that weight box with cement, it would weight about the same as my lead one does! (my calculations say my box would need to be 28" to match the same as my 4" thick box with cement.) OR, you could fill that on with lead and it would sink to the hood! LOL
For the rubber headlight trim, you can slit some windshield washer hose (new from NAPA) and just sit that in place. It should work just fine.

nice job on the mf 12 you have on you tube. I've been studying all the details and meticulous work that you have done to it (weight box, plow, etc.. etc..,) I was thinking along the same lines, as far as adding weight to rear- dense, compact, and visually pleasing. My hunt is already on for cheap lead(free if possible)
as far as 'my present weight box', I figure I should fill it with water in spring and park it outside by the bird feeder, LOL

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 12:21 AM

...as far as 'my present weight box', I figure I should fill it with water in spring and park it outside by the bird feeder...

:bigrofl: I woke a kid when I read that :bigrofl:

#12 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 01:01 AM

It all depends on how nice that box was built. It looks pretty decent in the photo, you might be able to just cut it down a ways and fill it with lead. I think given the width/height, 4" to 6" is the most you would want to go. At 6" you will be well over 350lbs though!

If I were to do anything different, I would drop the holes that go through the box, and make it with angle iron to bolt it on. Those holes are a pain to line up and it's hard to get the nuts on the back. All around, it's hard to line up and bolt it on. I think welding angle iron to the top and allow that to stick above the box would make it much easier to put on. However, it would not look as good!

PS, thanks for the nice comments too!