Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:59 PM

Made this to get my seeds started, rope lights mounted on a piece of plastic , it's about 18 watts.DSC07607.jpg

#2 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:24 AM

Good idea.

#3 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,202 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 09:21 AM

Thats a pretty good idea

#4 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 610
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 11:31 PM

I really like this idea and might just borrow it myself!

I also saw a nice design using PVC pipe to build a frame to hang a grow light from. Glue together two "triangles" for legs and leave a "T" on the top of the triangle to slip some pipe into to hang a shop light from. Make it high enough to allow full "indoor height" and use the chain to drop it low when they are young.
If you don't glue the top pipe in place, it breaks down easy.

#5 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 08:49 AM

I'll post a picture of the growlight stand that the mat is sitting on tonight , I started tomatoes last night , checked the soil temp. this morning , 86' so that's good .

#6 DH1 OFFLINE  

DH1

Electric Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 62
  • 4,587 Thanks
  • 5,295 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 05:48 PM

I like that idea, I've seen that setup before and hear it works really good low steady heat, just enough to get things going quicker.

Edited by DH1, January 06, 2011 - 07:04 PM.
spelling

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 06:35 PM

I found out the hard way how some seeds need warmth to germinate . I thought my pepper seeds weren't good, tried for about 4weeks and none came up , gave them to a friend to see how they would work with his grow mat and they grew right like they should !!! Here's a picture of the PVC stand .DSC07608.jpg Posted Image

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 06:53 PM

Hey Alc, on the fluorescents, are they Natural light or std bulbs? T-12 or T-8?

#9 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 10:27 PM

The bulbs are F40T12 Plant & Aquarium , mounted in a cheap shop light fixture. 2nd year for them and wish I did this sooner

#10 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 10:31 PM

Holy smoke! Do you have a green house for those tomatoes? That's a real early start on them... It seems like you would have trouble hardening them off with this much time indoors.

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 10:34 PM

The bulbs are F40T12 Plant & Aquarium , mounted in a cheap shop light fixture. 2nd year for them and wish I did this sooner

Thanks for the info, do you know the t-12's will be NLA after next year? May want to either stock up or play with finding a good t-8 style fixture/bulbs for the job.

#12 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 10:48 PM

I guess I'm dumb but what's NLA? As far as planting early , last year started on Dec.24th. when they got big enough I brought them to our living room where I set up a shelf unit in front of the south facing sliding door. On nice days would roll it out side to harden them . This year I'm going to try the mini green house out but it might have to have some heat. 0309101624.jpg

#13 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,615 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 11:05 PM

Sorry, parts terminology... No Longer Available.
The DEP has had a hand in this. The t-8 bulbs/ballasts are more energy efficient, but also bug my eyes if it's the only light in the room.

You're making me hungry for toasted tomato sandwiches.

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted January 06, 2011 - 06:31 AM

That kinds of stinks about the bulbs, I did get another pair so I'll be good for a little while . FireflyterEmt , you had me thinking about what made the plants grow better last year , because other years I would plant them around March in the south facing window but they were stringy . I wonder if using the grow mat and growlight gave them such a good head start before putting them in the window ? I'll see if I have some dated pictures from last year while the plants were growing , Al

#15 FirefyterEmt OFFLINE  

FirefyterEmt

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 425 Thanks
  • 849 posts

Posted January 06, 2011 - 09:25 AM

From what I understand... (and I am far from an expert, but like to research things) In the winter you really do not have enough light for the plants on their own. Everyone suggested grow lights. (4' florescent with new bulbs yearly due to break down in the light spectrum) I do love the idea of the rope light and I think that will be used this year by me. I need to build a better stand for my plants and I may make a base from wood with your light idea, combined with an adjustable light hanging bracket. I do not have a green-house yet, not even a cold frame.... However, once my raised bed garden is done, I hope to be able to use one of those beds, with a top frame, to work as a cold frame.
My garden faces pretty much N-S on the long side and that is where my "run" of raised bed's will be placed. In order to face my cold frame to the South, my frame would open along the long end. If you can picture a 24" or so raised bed going to length of my 50' garden, I would place the cold-frame "top" on one of the beds to create a 24" x 6' cold frame. My plan was to place some of that Styrofoam insulation on the sides and use a remote weather station to monitor the inside temps. I could also use that rope light thing inside if it was cold enough.
I am really liking the idea of "tops" for the raised bed. I can make wire cages for things that could be eaten, plastic hoops for cold weather, cold frame additions.... all this combined with smaller areas for crops that we do not want to dedicate large garden areas to, like lettuce, will be perfect in them. Plus, nice soft loose soil for things like carrots to grow better. I really think this will be a huge step in our garden!

Oh... and get this, I had debated getting a pet rabbit for the kids, and making it's cage fit onto one of these raised beds. Then it could be moved to improve the soil year by year, or the soil added to the garden, where the dirt from the garden re-fills the box. Eh?