• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:22 PM

I am possibly getting a Case 448 thanks to mastifflawyer. He sent me a link to one on Craigslist the other day. I emailed the ad and waited for a response and heard from the guy today. Going to try and look at it and pick it up on Wednesday. I will definitely keep yas updated.

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:28 PM

Whatta ya wanna know? Onan 18hp, hydraulic drive....NOT hydrostatic. Earlier years have NO anti-coast valve, so on hills with otu the valve, you BETTER have working brakes! Earlier ones have harder to adjust pto clutch, newer have the "EZ adjust clutch". Strong outfits & hardly changed to date, now being "Ingersol".
Does yours have pto hydraulics out the back for say like a tiller? Deck?

#3 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:39 PM

I know it has a 3pt. Other then that I wont know until I look at it on Wednesday. I kind of thought it was an 18hp Onan but I wasn't completely sure.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:51 PM

They have a very strong driveline. The speed/direction control has little notches in the control lever, so has a bit of a jumpy feel when changing speeds, but after a short while you won't notice it. BIG rear wheels/tires, so rolls over holes much easier than smaller ones. Good tractors!

#5 nra1ifer OFFLINE  

nra1ifer

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 383
  • 669 Thanks
  • 1,530 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 09:58 PM

Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 10:03 PM

We'll be seeing pics of it soon right?

Glad you're adding another one to the stables... Your garage is WAY to empty:D

#7 stickman OFFLINE  

stickman

• Member No: 1727
  • 0 Thanks
  • 4 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 11:09 PM

Whatta ya wanna know? Onan 18hp, hydraulic drive....NOT hydrostatic. Earlier years have NO anti-coast valve, so on hills with otu the valve, you BETTER have working brakes! Earlier ones have harder to adjust pto clutch, newer have the "EZ adjust clutch". Strong outfits & hardly changed to date, now being "Ingersol".
Does yours have pto hydraulics out the back for say like a tiller? Deck?

I'll add the little I know, All 448's will have an EZ clutch from the factory, they were not using the shim clutch anymore when they started making the 448. Mid 80's. The proper term for the Anti-coast valve is a Holding Valve . With a 3-point on the tractor I would expect to see a Rear PTO Valve.

The 448 is the Most Powerful Model built at the time. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Stickman

#8 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:19 AM

I sure hope you get it George,of course then I will be quite jealous .:smilewink:

#9 mikebramel OFFLINE  

mikebramel

Ron Paul

• Member No: 82
  • 176 Thanks
  • 1,009 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 01:58 PM

Im very happy with mine. Rides like a luxury car with the big tires. The hydraulic system is a little laggy in high range getting going but youll get used to it. Very simple system just ask hydriv if you have any problems. good luck

#10 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 04:15 PM

Best of luck on the deal George! If you get it I'll be jealous too LOL! I have seen a few for sale locally, but they have all been WAAAAAY out of my price range. I'm sure that they're worth what they're going for, I just can't swing one right now. Make sure to get some pics when you go look at it. We'll all be waiting with anticipation LOL!

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 05:26 PM

I'll add the little I know, All 448's will have an EZ clutch from the factory, they were not using the shim clutch anymore when they started making the 448. Mid 80's. The proper term for the Anti-coast valve is a Holding Valve . With a 3-point on the tractor I would expect to see a Rear PTO Valve.

The 448 is the Most Powerful Model built at the time. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Stickman

My experience is with the 446 only. Not knowing a lot of the Case line, I just assumed they made the 446 & 448 at the same time. As to proper names.....I never was all that proper!:bigrofl:
Stickman, really though, thanks for explaining better. I want George knowing as much as possible for his possible purchase.:thumbs:

#12 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 05:57 PM

Great machines! I own a 448 with a 48" mowing deck, 3 pt, rear hydro PTO, rototiller, and front blade. I have been watching for the right opportunity to acquire a snow thrower for it as well. I use it for tilling and to do the trimming with the mower before mowing with my CUT and 6' finish mower. I also pull a lawn vacuum behind it in the fall to pick up and mulch leaves.

If you haven't already figured it out I am watching for the right opportunity to acquire another 448 with a blown engine for a diesel re-power project. I think that the 448 is an ideal platform for a project like that.

JN

#13 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 06:02 PM

If you haven't already figured it out I am watching for the right opportunity to acquire another 448 with a blown engine for a diesel re-power project. I think that the 448 is an ideal platform for a project like that.

JN

I had no idea you were into diesels! :bigrofl::smilewink:

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted January 04, 2011 - 07:57 PM

LMAO, I had no idea either. What ever in the world would have given that away LOL

#15 Boss 448 OFFLINE  

Boss 448

Tractorholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1724
  • 48 Thanks
  • 248 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 11:28 AM

Real subtle guys! Guess I can't sneak anything past you. As you have probably noticed I've been trying real hard to keep it a secret - especially from the wife. I reduced the herd by several tractors several years ago when I convinced her I could sell all my current LT's and GT's and replace them with one 4 x 4 CUT with FEL and a 448 GT (plus the appropriate implements for each). So far so good. Now it will be difficult sneaking a project tractor back into the herd until I can come up with a really good story. I don't want to do a re-power on my existing 448 since the Onan engine is in good shape and I rely on it. I'm expecting that a re-power project might take some time. If I do acquire another 448 and re-power it then I could sell the existing gas powered machine - or keep it as a before and after diesel pair - Oooo.... I like that!

JN