• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 22, 2011 - 11:15 AM

Rev,
When you get ready to repack those bearings. You should measure the axle spindles and see if you can find a set of hubs that will let you run the 15" Chevy wheels, by going to the bigger wheels and tires, you will slow down your tire RPM's and that will reduce the chance of wheel bearing failure at highway speeds. I always try to run the biggest diameter tire/wheel that I can for that reason.
Hope this help out.

#17 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 11:28 AM

That's a good idea, Brian. I wonder if the front end hubs from a chevy truck would work? My BIL should have six or eight of those laying around, I think. He tends to take things apart and never put them back together.

It's funny, my last trailer had Ford rims, this one has the 4 bolt pattern. Meanwhile I've been driving Chevy trucks for thirty years. Nothing ever matches.

Edited by Reverend Blair, February 23, 2011 - 04:49 PM.

#18 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 04:45 PM

Well, I dragged it home. Forgot the adaptor for the lights, so I had to sneak home on the back roads where the RCMP fear to tread. Also I can't find my 2" ball and receiver, so I kind of faked it with 1-7/8" for the little camper. They call me Mr. Safety.

Once I got the snow and ice shook out of it, I think it might have a couple of suspect bearings (back axle). Could just be the wheels/tires he put on it to sell too. It's always hard to discover things like that in a snowbank...everything seemed solid when I first looked at it, but when I got it home there was play. We'll see about that in the spring though...I have no interest in doing anything until it's warm enough to work outside without my beer freezing.

Also, I bent a fender backing it into the driveway. Caught it on the rear blade of the 420 while watching the other mirror. Not as much room there as I thought. Oh well, I have the tools to fix it.

Other than that, I think the little wheels/tires that are on it will make excellent spares for the little camper.

All in all, I think for $500 it was well worth it, especially since the deck has to have $200 worth of new lumber in it.

My old trailer is sold too. The neighbour boy wanted it. I demanded the same as I paid for it...one case of beer. He dragged it out with a Bobcat this morning and brought me my case of beer this afternoon. Now it's cluttering up his yard instead of mine. I guess I turned a profit on that, since beer costs more now.

#19 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,637 Thanks
  • 29,838 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 05:17 PM

The neighbour boy wanted it. I demanded the same as I paid for it...one case of beer. Now it's cluttering up his yard instead of mine. I guess I turned a profit on that, since beer costs more now.

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl: I bet you could have pulled him for another 6 pack at least!
Congrats on the trailer!

#20 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted February 23, 2011 - 07:09 PM

:bigrofl::bigrofl::bigrofl: I bet you could have pulled him for another 6 pack at least!
Congrats on the trailer!

He'll likely get a good chunk of his payment back over the summer too. :beer: I made the bill of sale out for $41.50...the price of a case of Great Western Pilsner. :laughingteeth:

I likely could have gotten the $500 I paid for the new one out of him, but he's a good kid...always willing to lend a hand if he's around.

He works all week, then does side work on the weekends during the summer. In the winter he scrambles for snow removal work. His mom is selling the house too (she moved to Ontario a year or so ago), and he can't afford to buy it with property prices around here, so he's trying to find a place to buy where he can have his work equipment and his dogs and his girlfriend (gonna miss seeing her on those hot summer days).

I figured I only paid a case of beer, and it doesn't owe me anything, so why not give the kid a break?

#21 WQDL753 OFFLINE  

WQDL753

Bolensholic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1407
  • 59 Thanks
  • 301 posts

Posted February 24, 2011 - 05:27 AM

Hope the new one works out good for you.
Kudos on the sale!!! I didn't think kids like that existed any more, so he sure did earn that deal.
Now what was that I heard about summertime pics of your neighborhood...:laughingteeth:

#22 cbettag OFFLINE  

cbettag

• Member No: 2203
  • 0 Thanks
  • 3 posts

Posted March 02, 2011 - 11:36 PM

I looked at all of the Home Depot/Lowes and TSC trailers and was not impressed. I needed a 5x8 to get through the woods when pulled behind the fourwheeler to load firewood. I also wanted the lager tires for ground clearence. Never thought abouth the amount of tire roataions though, guess it comes as a bonus! Found a local guy who sold a nice little trailer at a good price. The manufcturer is Lawrimore. Lawrimore Trailers