• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • Member No: 52970
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:12 PM

Found it two weeks ago locally for sale. The price was 450.00 and the seller didn't want to drop the price. I'm working on my Cub Cadet loader project and really didn't need the Sears to distract me...Well you know how that goes, ha! I called the guy with the Sears this morning and he still had it, so I headed over to get a closer look. It is actually in better shape than I thought! I figured it would smoke, rattle and knock when he finally got it started...nope, ran smooth and quiet and burned no oil! It runs smooth on partial choke only, so I'll be going over the fuel system for starters. I asked him what his bottom dollar was on the tractor and he said " how bout' 225.00 with the deck"? Sold, I said.
The previous owner did a quick spray job on it, so I'm planning on fresh paint and decals, tune up and fluid changes. It's missing the side panel on the left side, just behind the engine and a bolt here and there. All of the lights and electrical system work, though. Here's a few pics.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140131_125549.jpg
  • 20140131_125600-1.jpg
  • 20140131_143752.jpg
  • 20140131_144612.jpg

Edited by classic, January 31, 2014 - 09:21 PM.

• hamman and sacsr have said thanks

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Very nice score :thumbs:  you got the deck also, sweet.

• classic said thank you

#3 farmerall ONLINE  

farmerall
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8266
  • 2,148 Thanks
  • 1,447 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:21 PM

Great score, the tractor looks like it's in great shape.

• classic said thank you

#4 dthomp17 ONLINE  

dthomp17

• Contributor
  • Member No: 2987
  • 494 Thanks
  • 411 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:25 PM

The deck alone is worth what you paid and both the deck and tractor look to be in good condition. Great deal.
  • classic said thank you

#5 TAHOE ONLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,488 Thanks
  • 4,945 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:42 PM

Supoer buy!!!!

• classic said thank you

#6 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:55 PM

The owner was a super nice guy, and he accumulated a lot of stuff from doing clean outs. He had a quadruple bypass a while back and has no need for the tractor or the snow blower I bought from him, and the other things he gave me. He wouldn't let me give him any more money, so I'll find a way to pay him back. I got some ideas already.

#7 Arti ONLINE  

Arti
  • Member No: 11282
  • 1,288 Thanks
  • 963 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 10:22 PM

Nice looking gt. It has a good home now and I suspect that is what the previous owner wanted.
  • classic said thank you

#8 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 10:39 PM

Heck of a good find there!  Great tractor!

• classic said thank you

#9 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 11:12 PM

I really like these old Sears tractors. I've been plowing my driveway this past winter with a 69' Suburban. This 69' was bought new by a neighbor down the road from my parents house. It was a summer home and was abandoned many years ago. I remember seeing the orange tractor when I was a kid, but forgot about it until another neighbor bought the house and started renovations. The tractor sat in the basement, unused for at least 30 years. I know the guy well who bought the house and he sold me the 69' for 150.00. It came with the rear lift, sod buster, mower deck, and front plow. I got it running, but it smoked like mad and the SSI quit due to a shorted out wire. When I took off the head, the bore looked great, but when I removed the piston, the rings were froze in the grooves. I just bought an NOS Tecumseh std. Piston and rings from ebay, and I'll have the original motor back together shortly.For now, I'm using another HH120 Tecumeseh on the 69' from another Suburban. Here is a pic of the 69'. The man I bought the SS/18 from sold me the snowblower, and gave me the compressor in the pic.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20140131_143853.jpg

• MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 01:09 AM

I really like these old Sears tractors. I've been plowing my driveway this past winter with a 69' Suburban. This 69' was bought new by a neighbor down the road from my parents house. It was a summer home and was abandoned many years ago. I remember seeing the orange tractor when I was a kid, but forgot about it until another neighbor bought the house and started renovations. The tractor sat in the basement, unused for at least 30 years. I know the guy well who bought the house and he sold me the 69' for 150.00. It came with the rear lift, sod buster, mower deck, and front plow. I got it running, but it smoked like mad and the SSI quit due to a shorted out wire. When I took off the head, the bore looked great, but when I removed the piston, the rings were froze in the grooves. I just bought an NOS Tecumseh std. Piston and rings from ebay, and I'll have the original motor back together shortly.For now, I'm using another HH120 Tecumeseh on the 69' from another Suburban. Here is a pic of the 69'. The man I bought the SS/18 from sold me the snowblower, and gave me the compressor in the pic.

Not sure how you ride on that? Or do you mean the orange one in the background? :D
Great story, glad you were able to rescue it.
  • classic said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,290 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 01:20 AM

Found it two weeks ago locally for sale. The price was 450.00 and the seller didn't want to drop the price. I'm working on my Cub Cadet loader project and really didn't need the Sears to distract me...Well you know how that goes, ha! I called the guy with the Sears this morning and he still had it, so I headed over to get a closer look. It is actually in better shape than I thought! I figured it would smoke, rattle and knock when he finally got it started...nope, ran smooth and quiet and burned no oil! It runs smooth on partial choke only, so I'll be going over the fuel system for starters. I asked him what his bottom dollar was on the tractor and he said " how bout' 225.00 with the deck"? Sold, I said.
The previous owner did a quick spray job on it, so I'm planning on fresh paint and decals, tune up and fluid changes. It's missing the side panel on the left side, just behind the engine and a bolt here and there. All of the lights and electrical system work, though. Here's a few pics.

Nice looking 18, good you got the deck.
  • classic said thank you

#12 classic ONLINE  

classic
  • 3,461 Thanks
  • 1,607 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 03:02 AM

I don't know how the green one works, I'll have to ask my girlfriend. I only know how the orange one works, HA! It's a great hobby getting these old machines back in shape and putting them to use.

#13 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 06:36 AM

Nice, nice tractor. They are really hard to find here.

• classic said thank you

#14 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 06:45 AM

That is a good looking SS/18. Great score on that one!

• classic said thank you

#15 robert_p43 OFFLINE  

robert_p43
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11040
  • 572 Thanks
  • 534 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 08:26 AM

Nice looking tractor and good deal.   Looks like someone figured a way to get more life out of that old seat too. :thumbs:

• classic said thank you