8 replies to this topic

#1 Bob IN OFFLINE  

Bob IN
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24042
  • 1,473 Thanks
  • 676 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 08:56 PM

I have been researching simplicity walk behinds a lot lately. It looks like simplicity and Montgomery wards( simplicity built), midland, and Montgomery wards ( midland built) attachments for the most part interchange. I think some of the belt driven equipment may not work like tillers or such. But most front and rear mounted equipment looks like it works. Am I wrong? I have a Montgomery wards blade that fits right on my simplicity. Im kind of looking at trying to put together a fairly complete line of attachments for the simplicity walk behinds. Some of them will be hard to find, but it would be a fun challenge. Just thought id ask for opinions.

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:02 PM

Yes, most of the attachments interchange but as you stated, some do not with the Midland.

Simplicity built just about all the different attachments with the same hitching points to fit all the ranges of walk behinds from the early 50's to 60's.

Some smaller models attachments do not fit the bigger models.

Edited by trowel, January 31, 2014 - 09:03 PM.

#3 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:07 PM

it been a while since this subject came up. There are 4 brands of tractors for sure that take the same attachments. Waterbury, Simplicity, Midland, and Monkey Wards, all share the same basic stuff. Almost all, but some things like tillers may be to be or small for certain tractors. There are also Midland built attachments and Simplicity built ones. Most Midland one are heavier duty in the metal their made with. Engines vary wildly, as you don't find Simplicitys with any thing but a Briggs, but one model. Most Wards units could have any number of engines, but mostly they were a big user of Wis and Clintons. There aren't enough Waterbury ever came though here to test, but the ones I've seen had Clintons on them. Most of the Midlands used Big Wisconsin's also.

Theres a post in here some place of a Canadian tractor that looks like it could have used the same type of attachments.

#4 gunstuff1000 OFFLINE  

gunstuff1000
  • Member No: 40822
  • 926 Thanks
  • 556 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:25 PM

I think that bolens even used some attachments that midland made but I'm not 100% sure

#5 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:44 PM

...Theres a post in here some place of a Canadian tractor that looks like it could have used the same type of attachments.

That would be the Waterloo brand of walk behinds.  I just uploaded a flyer showing the Models 20 & 40 and the implements they would take.  If you are truly interested, checkout the tractor in the upper corner of page 5.  Tell me that isn't a Simplicity in a Waterloo flyer.

Page 5.jpg

http://gardentractor...el-20-40-1949/ 

• trowel said thank you

#6 Lauber1 OFFLINE  

Lauber1

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,452 Thanks
  • 2,800 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 12:42 AM

There is a lot of similar features, but the front motor mount is where the simp is different. Yours has a flat boxy one and the simp is a c shaped hollowed out one with hooks under its.  I like the next page, where the attachments are. The weight is a dead ringer. The disc looks like Simp one. Love to have the mower with the gauge wheel.

• trowel said thank you

#7 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

New.Canadian.DB.Owner
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,224 Thanks
  • 1,451 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 09:43 AM

Yes, the implement is mounted like a Waterloo, but all Waterloo's that I have seen have the X bracing between the handlebars.  Simplicities did not.

Page 5-2 mount.jpg Page 5-2 handle bars.jpg parts manual maybe 1.JPG

• trowel said thank you

#8 Mike Unwin OFFLINE  

Mike Unwin
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 12382
  • 380 Thanks
  • 297 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 09:44 AM

The weight bracket is different I have a Simplicity L and a Waterloo 20 side by side ,looks like the wheel Simplicity cultivator will work,but the Simplicity front Quick Attach is different.Waterloo is like others in that it use,s rear "hangers" from the handles.You could probably divide the tractors into groups steel wheels or rubber,sliding motor or belt tightener or rarely centrifugal clutch,wood handles or steel and so on.Its not that people copied it just there is only so many practical ways of doing something and it would broaden the sales appeal if implements could be reused. Cheers Mike

• trowel said thank you

#9 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 10:51 AM

Here is an article I am working on about M/W and Simplicity that will help you maybe understand how things went in the early days.

http://gardentractor...simplicity-r145

• trowel and Mike Unwin have said thanks