Warning NSFW language

• Alc, hamman, Cvans and 5 others have said thanks

#2 Jack ONLINE  

Jack
  • Member No: 9304
  • 1,127 Thanks
  • 771 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:29 PM

I get a kick out of watching "kids" do stuff like this.  Its even funnier when the old guys come over and show them how its done.  :bigrofl:

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 oldedeeres ONLINE  

oldedeeres
  • Member No: 14008
  • 5,879 Thanks
  • 3,202 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:37 PM

" Give me a lever long enough and I will move the world" and a little loosenall would help too. But don't laugh, someday maybe one or all of them will be working in the nursing home where you are a resident. That's scary!!
  • Alc, JDBrian, boyscout862 and 1 other said thanks

#4 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 01:14 AM

Every tire guy and or person that takes tires off for any reason should be made to remove the wheels once in a while like that. makes em realize that to tight with the impact makes it very difficult for the average person to change a flat. 

• MH81, Alc, Cvans and 3 others have said thanks

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,320 Thanks
  • 28,640 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 07:46 AM

TG, you beat me to it. Can you imagine if they had to do that? I'd pay to see it.

Watching this, I just want to yell, "Put some butt in it". Lord, my 3 yr old would work harder to get them loose. I think he's being slowed down by the camera.

Anyone ever had a nut that wouldn't budge and you had to tighten the other 4, then bust it loose?
  • HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:09 AM

Nothing funny about that!! Went through it twice in the snow banks in December. And I never go out to change a tire thant I don't take a 3 ft cheater pipe with me.  On the Caravan I twisted two studs off trying to get them loose?

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 31, 2014 - 09:10 AM.

• oldedeeres said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 10:59 AM

Wonder why the kid didn't just stand on the wrench.  I've had to do that numerous times in the past. They are supposed to be torqued, so if they are that tight seems like some one didn't do their job correctly.  When I get my tires replaced I ask them if they are going to torque those lugs and to what torque.  If they don't the car comes home I pop the lugs and re-torque. 

• Alc, JDBrian and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 11:33 AM

Whoever put them on hadn't heard of a torque wrench. I always torque mine to spec. However, with my last car the local subaru dealer would sometimes install them so tight that I had to put all my weight on an 18" bar to get them loose. I complained but there was really no reaction from them. Not even an apology for poor workmanship. That's one of the reasons I don't own a Subaru now. By the way, that 18" bar and the appropriate socket is always in the back of my car so I can change a wheel on the road if I have a flat. The toy wrench that comes with the car wouldn't be much fun changing a flat on the side of the highway, at night, in a snow storm.

• HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 12:41 PM

There are far too few people that know a lug bolt is like a Rubber Band. When they stretch to the limit they break!!

• MH81, HDWildBill and oldedeeres have said thanks

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 01:49 PM

I watched a guy twist 2 lug nuts of off my Barracuda before I could tell him that the lug nuts on the left side of the car were left handed. I don't know when Chrysler quit doing that but in the 60's it was a common thing. 

• Alc and oldedeeres have said thanks

#11 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 04:10 PM

I watched a guy twist 2 lug nuts of off my Barracuda before I could tell him that the lug nuts on the left side of the car were left handed. I don't know when Chrysler quit doing that but in the 60's it was a common thing. 

With out hitting google i think mid 70's..  

What year cuda? I have a 65.. I need to get that sucker home. It's down in Nevada..

#12 JohnWR ONLINE  

JohnWR
  • Member No: 34556
  • 322 Thanks
  • 332 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 05:04 PM

Whoever put them on hadn't heard of a torque wrench. I always torque mine to spec. However, with my last car the local subaru dealer would sometimes install them so tight that I had to put all my weight on an 18" bar to get them loose. I complained but there was really no reaction from them. Not even an apology for poor workmanship. That's one of the reasons I don't own a Subaru now. By the way, that 18" bar and the appropriate socket is always in the back of my car so I can change a wheel on the road if I have a flat. The toy wrench that comes with the car wouldn't be much fun changing a flat on the side of the highway, at night, in a snow storm.

The factory torque spec on tundra steels wheels is 146 foot pounds so he was going to struggle regardless.

• Alc said thank you

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,459 Thanks
  • 6,628 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 05:17 PM

That was just too funny lol I wonder how tight those lug nuts were ? I'm pretty sure most shops tend to over tighten them . The place that I go to for state inspections and tires uses torque sticks on their inpacts but I'm pretty sure there tightened my wife,s front tires too tight and now the rotors are warped . When my daugthers car came back from them getting new tires I backed off all the lugs nut , which were I thought were too tight and retightened them no I didn't use a torque wrench never do on cars nor light trucks the only ones I torque are the hd trucks trailers ect .on the 11R22.5 unilug get tighten with a 3/4 inpact then final torque to 450lb with a 4' torque wrench lol

#14 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,522 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 08:09 PM

What year cuda? I have a 65.. I need to get that sucker home. It's down in Nevada..

66' Formula S Barracuda.  Kind of wish I still had it. Vietnam brought those days to an end.

#15 toomanytoys84 ONLINE  

toomanytoys84

Aaron

• Member No: 45129
  • 8,243 Thanks
  • 5,082 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 10:29 PM

My torque wrench is my breaker bar and my foot. I tighten them up with a couple tugs and then step on the wrench.

Never broke one off or had them come loose. I don't own an air impact just a 1/2 inch dewalt 18v.