powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 11:06 AM

Saturday I tore into the old Ariens snow blower at the in-laws. it ran poorly last year and didn't really want to run at all this year. Pulled outer shrouding off to get to the carb what a surprise!!! I'd had the bowl off last year to reseal the float on a midnight repair trip. You'd never know it, it was full of gooey crap again. The original fuel line is being eaten by the "NEW" gas from the inside. Did have a new float I'd gotten to solve the sinking float problem, so cleaned everything really well, installed new float and off she goes, runs like a new one should. Just wish I had new fuel line there so I could have replaced it, oh well just means we have another date together soon as I'll bet it won't stay running well for long.:confuse:
P.

#2 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 11:14 AM

Sounds like you did a good job. It is amazing how quickly the carbs can gum up. Do your in-laws use any type of fuel additive ?

#3 powerking56 OFFLINE  

powerking56

Collector of stuff

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 359
  • 907 Thanks
  • 1,805 posts

Posted January 03, 2011 - 11:24 AM

Stabil when I put it in the can and get the gas, otherwise no. I finally got them to buy in smaller amounts by getting a smaller can so it doesn't
sit for 6 months and spoil before going into the tractor or mower or blower etc.

#4 tractormike OFFLINE  

tractormike

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 119
  • 162 Thanks
  • 1,488 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 07:01 AM

Knock on wood but I have been using seafoam in all my gas that I put in my engines and tractors and haven't had to pull a carb apart yet because of gunk. I mix it about twice as strong for use in my engines that sit a lot.
  • jdcrawler said thank you

#5 jdcrawler OFFLINE  

jdcrawler

tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1639
  • 3,173 Thanks
  • 1,724 posts

Posted January 05, 2011 - 08:06 AM

Knock on wood but I have been using seafoam in all my gas that I put in my engines and tractors and haven't had to pull a carb apart yet because of gunk. I mix it about twice as strong for use in my engines that sit a lot.

Thanks for the tip, Mike
My tractors spend most of their time just sitting so I'm going to try your Seafoam idea.