#1 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:31 PM

Anyone ever buy parts from here? Parts sound cheap like a piston for 38 bucks! I'm assuming that quality isn't that good but I could be wrong.

#2 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,703 Thanks
  • 17,209 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:35 PM

I always say you pay for what you get.

What I have found over the years is most of these big companys just care about selling parts in high volumes and customers come second. I would much rather buy Locally or from one of the well known "Mom and Pop" sellers whether they be here online or locally.

Cheap is not always a good thing... especially when your dealing with internal engine parts!

-My 2 cents......

• Sawdust said thank you

#3 VintageIronCollector ONLINE  

VintageIronCollector

Immersed in Tractors

• Contributor
  • Member No: 33118
  • 1,272 Thanks
  • 1,770 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:37 PM

I read reviews online and they said that the service AND parts were good. I'm still not convinced though.

Edited by Tommy Williamson, January 30, 2014 - 05:37 PM.

#4 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:27 PM

I have bought MTD spindles from them about two years ago and saved like $18 per spindle and got MTD spindles. I can't speak for the other stuff but I was very happy with the parts I got.    My MTD 848 series 46" deck.  I also got some blades and blade adaptor hubs.  I found they have good prices and good turnaround.  

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:06 PM

Many of these online parts stores do not stock everything they sell.  I deal with one occasionally for OEM parts I can't source from my distributors since I would not be a dealer.  They only stock common parts, everything else they order in.  It has taken a long time for me to receive orders before, up to a month last time I needed something (although that was during last summer, a hard time to stay ahead in the business).  It would be faster to drive to my local dealer, order the part and pay counter price for it, and drive back a week later to pick it up. 

Ben W.

#6 Guest_Fluid_*

Guest_Fluid_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:21 PM

Many of these online parts stores do not stock everything they sell.  I deal with one occasionally for OEM parts I can't source from my distributors since I would not be a dealer.  They only stock common parts, everything else they order in.  It has taken a long time for me to receive orders before, up to a month last time I needed something (although that was during last summer, a hard time to stay ahead in the business).  It would be faster to drive to my local dealer, order the part and pay counter price for it, and drive back a week later to pick it up. 

Ben W.

So you have had that happen to you with this company, Manufactures supply?  Don't all supply company's get their parts from the parts makers OEM or not?    I know what you mean, I ordered parts (Onan) from a parts supplier and it's been close to two months now.

• superaben said thank you

#7 trowel OFFLINE  

trowel

Summer.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:35 PM

I am still waiting for the Simplicity parts to come in but that is because a new distribution hub is opening north of here and all orders are now through them for this area, usually when i call the local parts department it is in at most, few days to a week and a half, Simplicity and Briggs is really good about time then again Briggs owns Simplicity line now. Techumseh is fast too on most parts.

Kohler is hit or miss, depends on the part or engine model.

Onans, and John Deere are the worst, up to a month, even on small kits, have ordered parts from Lister Petter in England and depending on the freight and shipping it would come in two weeks.

Kubota and Ford tractors are fast, few days at most to a week or so depending on the part.

MTD is ok, depends on were the part comes from.

Edited by trowel, January 30, 2014 - 08:36 PM.

#8 superaben OFFLINE  

superaben
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:17 PM

So you have had that happen to you with this company, Manufactures supply?  Don't all supply company's get their parts from the parts makers OEM or not?    I know what you mean, I ordered parts (Onan) from a parts supplier and it's been close to two months now.

I haven't dealt with Manufacturer's Supply before, they might be a good source.  Says they have been in business since 1963. 

They all get the parts from the OEM.  Some are actually distributors, one step higher up than a dealer, so they can get better prices. 

What usually happens (and MFG's Supply doesn't seem to be this way) is that the website includes an ARI parts lookup plugin (such as what PartsTree uses).  That plugin lets you look up part numbers down to obscure bolts.  It also provides an interface for ordering that obscure bolt. 

Those orders have to process through the store, through the standard ordering procedure, back into the store, to be mailed to you.  It is a great business idea, but it takes hands and time. 

For what its worth, the onanparts.com website is a good source for Onan parts.  The owner knows what he is talking about.

Ben W.

#9 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:28 PM

I've bought from them 7 or 8 times. I've been happy with them

and the products.

In fact, I have starts enroute from them, for a Tecumseh and a Kohler.

I've also bought pistons for a 503 bombardier skidoo engine. The had

Wisco pistons, for about 1/3 of the cost of up here in Can.

#10 CRFarnsworth OFFLINE  

CRFarnsworth

• Contributor
  • Member No: 6275
  • 3,655 Thanks
  • 1,739 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:33 PM

It has been several years, but I used to buy Parts for homemade off-road go-karts from them and was always happy with what I got.   Rick