#1 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 04:49 PM

For 2014 I've got a pretty heavy travel load with work plus I want to focus on some projects I've got going around the home place so I am going with a simpler garden year. I've still got to keep up the big canning/freezing items though.

Tomato (Roma & Big Boy)

Turnip (Purple Top White Globe)

Corn (Incredible R/M Sweet, Serendipity)

Sweet Potatoes (whatever the local store has) - I missed these last year

Soybean (Shirofumi) <-- went over very well with my Japanese co-workers plus they are nitrogen fixing!

Peppers (green & red)

Cantaloupe (Delicious 51, Sweet n Early)

Honeydew (early-dew)

Pole Beans (Kentucky Wonder)

Squash (Early Prolific Straightneck)

Zucchini Squash (Black Beauty)

Sunflower (Autumn Beauty)

Notes:

-To help save my self some time I'm going to use either landscape fabric or plastic to control weeds around the melons.

-Tomatoes will be surrounded with cages this year instead of twine.

-Two plantings of corn and squash instead of one.

-Seed box worked great... too good actually, I had WAY too many seedlings. I'll not waste so much seed this year and be sure to transplant the plants quicker.

• Alc, KennyP, Newpaws493 and 3 others have said thanks

#2 JRJ OFFLINE  

JRJ
  • Member No: 16399
  • 876 Thanks
  • 1,170 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:24 PM

Sounds like you are going to be busy.

Dick

• twostep said thank you

#3 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 09:30 PM

Great list!  I, myself, am an avid gardener and it interesting to find someone who uses some of the same varieties as I do. 

I plant around 80 tomato plants a year, to make soup, juice, and sauce...not to mention whole for use in stews and chili.  I have had good luck using twine in a weave style trellising.  Post...4 plants...post...4 plants...and so on.  Then weave your twine between the posts around the plants to the next post and so forth.  Also use lawn clipping as a mulch around the plants and between rows.  This acts as a weed control, keeps moisture from leaving the soil and also keeps dirt from splashing up on the plants and causing blight. 

Landscape fabric works well too.  I would recommend finding some black plastic to put over your sweet potato patch.  They like warmer soil temperatures and less compacted soils to produce good tubers.

Used to work for an heirloom seed company for a few years and learned a lot of tricks working the gardens.  Have fun...looks like you got things ready to go.

• Alc, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 09:24 AM

Looks like you got a plan.

I will be lucky to clear off from last year's garden and get it plowed.

#5 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 12:53 PM

Seeing this thread reminds me I need to get my tiller running. I'm already getting excited.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I437P using Tapatalk
  • twostep said thank you

#6 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 03, 2014 - 11:54 PM

...I have had good luck using twine in a weave style trellising.  Post...4 plants...post...4 plants...and so on.  Then weave your twine between the posts around the plants to the next post and so forth.  Also use lawn clipping as a mulch around the plants and between rows.  This acts as a weed control, keeps moisture from leaving the soil and also keeps dirt from splashing up on the plants and causing blight. 

Landscape fabric works well too.  I would recommend finding some black plastic to put over your sweet potato patch.  They like warmer soil temperatures and less compacted soils to produce good tubers.

Thanks for the advice.

I may have not spaced my post close enough... the twine stretched too much and just didn't support the plants as well. I'll go back to cages made from 6x6 steel mesh.

For my sweet potatoes I usually pile up new mounds of loose soil and nice dark compost. I've not covered them with plastic before, how do get enough water through to keep them happy?

• allisb10page said thank you

#7 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 06:36 AM

You have a nice slection picked out :thumbs:   , I see  you grown sweet potatoes before  did you get good yeilds ?  I haven't had good luck with them , only one year did I get enough that I thought it covered the cost of the slips . Last yesr was very disapointing  with a great leaves/vines but many small potatoes only a few that were big enough to keep . About ready to give up on them

#8 TAHOE OFFLINE  

TAHOE
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 24522
  • 6,480 Thanks
  • 4,937 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 10:17 AM

My sister planted two short rows of sweet potatoes in my garden last year. One row produced large abundant taters, the other row just died, nothing. They were right next to each other same water, sun, etc....I dunno

We always cage the 'Maters, the fencing worked great for the 1/2 runners although a pain to clean off. I like the cucumbers on the fencing too, keeps them off the ground.

• Alc said thank you

#9 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 10:35 AM

The last time I grew sweet potatoes was 3 summers ago and I actually had really good luck with them. I started three whole potatoes by tooth picking them and putting them in a mason jar in the kitchen window. At our last house the ground was really bad so I tilled up the ground and then mounded up about 18" of new bagged garden soil and compost on top of that. planted the plants 36" apart. Ended up with lot of big nice potatoes. Since the newest area of the garden that I tilled up last year is equally bad I'll do the same thing.

• Alc said thank you

#10 allisb10page OFFLINE  

allisb10page
  • Member No: 52832
  • 220 Thanks
  • 150 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 11:05 AM

Thanks for the advice.

I may have not spaced my post close enough... the twine stretched too much and just didn't support the plants as well. I'll go back to cages made from 6x6 steel mesh.

For my sweet potatoes I usually pile up new mounds of loose soil and nice dark compost. I've not covered them with plastic before, how do get enough water through to keep them happy?

Using re-mesh panel works well too for tomatoes, esp. if space is not to much of an issue.

As far as keeping water plentiful for your sweet potatoes, plant them where your plastic will be flush with the ground, or a little lower than ground level, but not to much below.  Sweet potatoes like heat, so the black plastic will keep the ground warm, plus as an added benefit, help the soil retain moisture...even in a hot dry year like we have had as of the past couple.  If you want to use landscape fabric instead of plastic, this will more than likely eliminate then need for extra watering, unless of course they need it due to drought conditions or such.  I have always worked the soil with the tiller first, laid down the plastic, holding it down with a few rocks, then cut slits and transplanted my sweet potato slips.  I put a flag where the slip is, so when the plant grows, I know where to dig for the spuds.

hope anything here was helpful and good luck. Everyone has their own way of doing things, and what works for someone may not always work for another.

• Alc and twostep have said thanks

#11 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted February 16, 2014 - 09:57 AM

Got most of my seed (everything it "+" beside it).

Tomato (Roma & Beef Steak)+

Turnip (Purple Top White Globe)+

Corn (Incredible R/M Sweet)+

Corn (Serendipity)+

Corn (Silver Queen Hybrid)+

Sweet Potatoes (whatever the local store has) - I missed these last year

Soybean (Shirofumi)+ collected seed from last year

Peppers (green & red)

Cantaloupe (Imperial 45)+

Honeydew (early-dew)+

Pole Beans (Kentucky Wonder)+

Squash (Early Yellow Straightneck)+

Zucchini Squash (Dark Green)+

Sunflower (Autumn Beauty)

Nasturtium+ collected seed from last year

Swiss Chard + try growing in a pot

#12 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 13, 2014 - 11:49 PM

For posterity: I pretty much decided to put the garden off this year. I will be out of town every other week or weekend for the summer and with 3 kids, 3 years and under... NO WAY was I going to put that work on my wife. SO, instead I decided to just get a dozen chickens and raise a few broadcast sow items (turnips, beets... for the birds), a few tomato plants (including an extra cherry tomato plant again, for the birds) and some sweet peppers.

I'll try to snap some pictures of the garden this weekend for now I will leave you with this:

DSCN3459.JPG

DSCN3475.JPG

DSCN3476.JPG

• Alc said thank you

#13 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,447 Thanks
  • 6,611 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 05:39 AM

Cute kids !!!     Sometimes you have to give up things for the family :thumbs:   I didn't have a garden when the kids were involved with sports and my wife and I either coached or helped out at practices .  Then once they got into HS I started again .  

• twostep said thank you

#14 Guest_rdehli_*

Guest_rdehli_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted May 14, 2014 - 08:43 PM

If that is your small list .....wonder what you planted when you went great guns. nice list

#15 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted May 14, 2014 - 10:24 PM

If that is your small list .....wonder what you planted when you went great guns. nice list

lol, unfortunately that WAS my small list... then life got in the way and I never made it out of the starting gates. Or should I say I'm still in the gates. I hope to have some more seed in the ground this weekend... but we'll see.