#1 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

Homelite Owner Extraordinaire

• Contributor
  • Member No: 1733
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 02:37 PM

Wont be long now before I have the radio ready for the Homelite again. I had posted a while ago that I had made a box and put in a little AM radio in it and mounted it on the dads homelite so he could listen to music while he was mowing. When I moved out west in the 80s my brother took it off and used the speaker for somethng else. My da had kept the radio and when I got the tractor it came with it. I have been looking for a new speaker for it. Today I found one off an old CB radio we have. I have been wanting to put this back on the tractor for along time. It will only be AM at this time. I hope to find a AM - Fm converter as small as the AM radio so I can make it all fit in one box. Back then there was a AM radio station close to us and that is what dad listened to all the time. I have seen, even had a converter that small before. I bought one off ebay a few years ago but it is to big. Once I get it going the way I want I will fit a headphone jack into it and I have some old style headphones to use while running the tractor. Here are a few pics for now. I will post more after I get started reinstalling it on the tractor. I had it mounted it on the seat pan and it worked great back then. Thanks. Roger.

DSCF1258.JPG DSCF1260.JPG DSCF1262.JPG
This is the converter I bought.DSCF1264.JPG
  • MH81, OldBuzzard, Alc and 8 others have said thanks

#2 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,448 Thanks
  • 3,996 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 02:44 PM

hi Roger, can you hear the music loud and clear or do you need a headset   :urock:  :rocker2: :dancingbanana:

• hamman and oldedeeres have said thanks

#3 Sawdust OFFLINE  

Sawdust
  • Member No: 36549
  • 4,523 Thanks
  • 2,831 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 03:12 PM

I use to have a job radio cassette player like that. Guys would laugh at me until I turned it on. It sounded a ot better than their store bought units.

#4 A.C.T. OFFLINE  

A.C.T.

Another Classic Tractor

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 11085
  • 2,363 Thanks
  • 2,496 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 03:16 PM

Does it have ipod input?

• hamman said thank you

#5 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 03:38 PM

Yes I could hear it good back then. Muffler was quiter back then. I think now it will need a headphone jack. No it doesn't have an ipod jack. Didn't have them back then  LOL. I could put one in i guess. I have a friend who is a retired Michigan State Trooper who is into rebuilding old radios and making them accept new desigend electronics.  I was just looking at the setup again and I think I might have to have another box made to fit the FM converter so  I can have them all together.  More later after some more measurements.   thanks Roger.

#6 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 03:56 PM

Ah! Don't need no stinkin FM. But then I'm a Talk Radio Junky and never move my dial Off WHO Am. Where Ronald Regan got his start as a Sports Announcer.  It really irks me when my Grandchildren turn my radio over to FM. Went 3 miles before I figured out how to get WHO back.

• hamman, superaben and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:01 PM

hi Roger, can you hear the music loud and clear or do you need a headset   :urock:  :rocker2: :dancingbanana:

I doubt it!! Back in the 60's late at night in the spring you could hear those radio's for a mile over the drone of tractor engines under a full load plowing across America's heartland. Radio's blaring and Rose Colored Stacks glowing in the  night was a way of life.   When I worked in the International dealership in 1966 they sold loads of those units in the steel watertight cases.

Edited by JD DANNELS, January 30, 2014 - 05:05 PM.

• MH81, hamman, jd.rasentrac and 1 other said thanks

#8 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:21 PM

Ummm! O K!  With tiny little music packs smaller than a book of matches and ear buds, WHY would you even Mess with all the Junk hanging out on your tractor and looking Ugly??   Just my .o2 and -.02!   You old Farts wanting a Radio.....Jeeesh!

• hamman said thank you

#9 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,335 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:34 PM

Nice you're reviving a little bit of family history. Any idea what the original AM unit came from? That might be a big help finding an am/fm that will fit.
  • hamman said thank you

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:47 PM

That'll be neat Roger.

Please keep us updated on this project.

Every now and then, a fender mount Massey radio shows

up on Kijiji, but it's priced a bit rich for me.

I have a NOS MF 8 track player, that I want to build a box for

and install some day.

• hamman said thank you

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:01 PM

When I was a kid on the farm, dad had AM radios mounted on all 3 of our open station tractors, back then no one had cabs around us. It's a wonder any of us can hear at all, because we would play those radios loud enough to hear it over the roar of the tractor engine. I can remember being more than a half mile away from the tractor and hearing the radio just like it was next to me.

Very cool that you are mounting it back on your GT. Thanks for the memories.

#12 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:04 PM

You used to be able to buy these little radios from Radio Shack back in the 70s. That is where I got this one. I bought it for $12.00 back then.I actually made three of these units back then. Selling the Homelite brand was a sideline for our HVAC business. I made two more for other customers after they saw this one.  Dad didn't want a AM - FM at the time which I could of bought. The other two were AM also. I just need to pre wire it to make sure it works well and I will be ready.  A few years ago I bought a used engine for my Allis Chalmers WC and the guy I bought it from had a fender mounted tractor radio but he wanted way to much for it at the time.     Thanks.  Roger.

Edited by hamman, January 30, 2014 - 09:05 PM.

• Texas Deere and Horse, trowel and oldedeeres have said thanks

#13 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 09:19 PM

Roger, did it still have the flip down front panel to protect it when not using it?
  • hamman said thank you

#14 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:21 PM

Yes. I twas a 12 volt tube type with the "weather visor" on it. (that is what I called it) It was in working condition.  A little rusty but it was all there including the bracket.   Roger.

• Texas Deere and Horse and oldedeeres have said thanks

#15 hamman ONLINE  

hamman

• Contributor
  • 5,630 Thanks
  • 2,586 posts

Posted February 10, 2014 - 07:39 PM

Got a bit of time to work on the radio and FM converter today. Radio works but as there are no AM stations close I can't pick up anything. The "good working FM converter" I bought from Ebay doesn't work. Big surprise... I only paid $9:00 for it.   Now I have to find another FM converter to make it work right.   Roger.

• MH81 and IamSherwood have said thanks