• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• Member No: 7086
  • 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 11:57 AM

I know its still early for most of us but I need to expand the number of raised beds again this year.  In the past I have had some nice "extra" topsoil around to mix with course sand, peat moss, and compost.  I have used all that up and need to source something different for a soil mix as all I have left is subsoil and Im out of course sand, yes I could get more shipped in but with things the way they are it would make for some very expensive beds and Ill be sitting on those piles for years.  Im  not sure about using subsoil in my mix.  I've read about various mixes and never using a soil less mix Im not sure how well they do.  Anyone have experience with them?  Growing in the native dirt is NOT an option (to many rocks). I've even looked at hydroponic also but I have absolutely no experience with that, anyone try that? Cost seems to be similar to beds from what Ive seen but again does it work?  Its time to get a plan together so Im ready when the weather breaks.

• boyscout862, twostep and oldedeeres have said thanks

#2 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 12:00 PM

Member AlC had a sifter to run his native dirt thru and get rid of rocks. Have you ever considered something like that?
  • js5020, boyscout862 and jrbublitz1 have said thanks

#3 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 02:04 PM

My soil is very stony and poor. I have to dig it up, screen it (sometimes two screens) and then add composted horse manure. It takes time but only real cost is fuel. My garden is only slowly expanding for that reason. There are a lot of things around that can be used for screening. I was able to get some worn out screens from a quarry and weld them up. They are 5' x 5' and work well with a saw horse and a shovel. I hope to build a new frame for them(old was stolen) and use the small FEL with it. I will post pictures when its done. One thing: make the out flow of rocks go directly into a dump truck or trailer. That will save you alot of extra work. I hope to add the compost while screening for a better mixed product. Good Luck, Rick

BTW this may justify for you to get an FEL. I have three old ones and they make work alot easier (when they are running).

• js5020, Newpaws493 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#4 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 03:25 PM

Growing in the native soil again is NOT an option, a glacier must have stopped here and the rock layer is just like the pic 8' down, yes it can be sifted but its of no use, all it does is make a hole that needs filled in due to the volume rocks that get removed and then I need to get rid of triaxle loads of rocks, trust me Im not exagerating, I removed surface rocks for the lawn and tried to garden in it, been there done that, not doin it again, EVER. I already have 8 beds 3'x16' and I love them.

http://Picture008.jpg

http://Picture170.jpg

• boyscout862, Newpaws493 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#5 boyscout862 ONLINE  

boyscout862
  • Member No: 8923
  • 9,803 Thanks
  • 7,543 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:22 PM

I understand. When building the house I had to build a grisly with 3.5" x 3.5" grid. I sreened 4000 cy of the soil and got 2000cy of rock. The glacier dumped 8 - 6'+ boulders in the driveway area. One was so heavy that it snapped the 2" diameter axle of the Left Front idler on my HD6G. What you and I need is a rock crusher. Good Luck, Rick

BTW that soil looks like it would produce good riprap when screened. Riprap is used for erosion control along swales and around drainage pipes. Maybe you can sell the stone tailings.

Edited by boyscout862, January 30, 2014 - 05:25 PM.

• js5020, Newpaws493 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#6 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:23 PM

Geeez, is that the original site that inspired the term; Rock Garden?? :oh_shucks:

• js5020, boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#7 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:41 PM

Geeez, is that the original site that inspired the term; Rock Garden?? :oh_shucks:

The dirt here is just plain Nasty,, its good dirt just no where near enough of it.  There are areas on the property that are worse than the pics believe it or not.  The "pickings" from making the lawn have gone into a few building foundations in the area just to get rid of em.  Shame actually I have 2 empty acres, 2 CUT sized and 2 GT sized machines and use to have all the necessary tools to work it but because of the rock infestation I just mow it down every few weeks.

• boyscout862 and oldedeeres have said thanks

#8 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:50 PM

Member AlC had a sifter to run his native dirt thru and get rid of rocks. Have you ever considered something like that?

He has rocks with some dirt mixed in.. not some rocks mixed in with his dirt.. opps.. he posted a picture.. never mind...

• MH81, js5020 and boyscout862 have said thanks

#9 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:54 PM

I'll be checkin back in to see more of the suggestions and plan of attack ya go with...Goodluck :thumbs:

• js5020, boyscout862 and Team_Green have said thanks

#10 js5020 ONLINE  

js5020

• 541 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:00 PM

He has rocks with some dirt mixed in.. not some rocks mixed in with his dirt.. opps.. he posted a picture.. never mind...

Very good description of what I have :ah_shoot:

• boyscout862 said thank you

#11 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:23 PM

Wow, that's a lot of rocks. I thought some of our fields were rocky... Whew.
  • boyscout862 said thank you

#12 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,752 Thanks
  • 8,921 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:41 PM

Newspapers, smaller rocks, household waste from fruits and vegetables, the dirt from the vacuum cleaner bag, lawn clippings, the potting soil from the potted plants someone left at church and the ones you swipe from the neighbors, and one bag of miracle grow potting soil from WalMart.

You're welcome.

• MH81, js5020, twostep and 2 others have said thanks

#13 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 01:00 AM

the ones you swipe from the neighbors, 

You bring those back ya bugger...  :shoot2:

• js5020 said thank you

#14 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,627 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 06:30 AM

It wasn't me but I think it was Howard who made a realy nice dirt sifter for his walk behind tractor this garden look more like it should be a stone quary lol You have your hands full here On the plus side you could make some great looking walkways between your raised beds , heck if you could figure a way to wash all those rocks so they could be cemented together for the framework on the beds you be the envy of us all !

• js5020, boyscout862, Newpaws493 and 2 others have said thanks

#15 twostep ONLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted January 31, 2014 - 11:15 PM

It wasn't me but I think it was Howard who made a realy nice dirt sifter for his walk behind tractor this garden look more like it should be a stone quary lol You have your hands full here On the plus side you could make some great looking walkways between your raised beds , heck if you could figure a way to wash all those rocks so they could be cemented together for the framework on the beds you be the envy of us all !

First page:

http://gardentractor...n-system/page-1

• KennyP said thank you