• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 steve b OFFLINE  

steve b

• Member No: 1581
  • 108 Thanks
  • 193 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 10:01 AM

I am thinking of working on a David Bradley I picked up for 40.00. It needs some major parts. A motor, well original anyway, Gas tank, Tires and I am afraid rims. I do however have the cycle bar mower and hood.

Local CL has this motor for 95.00. Add says it needs carb work but runs, no smoke. Is this an acceptable motor? He does indicate it is a Bradley motor. How is the price? How hard is a gas tank to find?

• trowel said thank you

#2 trowel OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5127
  • 4,819 Thanks
  • 4,533 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 10:21 AM

It depends on the tractor, the model and serial off the tag of the tractor would tell you what engine it originally took.

The Continental Au7 is one of the earlier engines, pictures of the engine and more info from the tag would be needed before being able to tell anything, the tag on the engine will have the 917 number for DB and usually always has red paint in the letterings.

Any of the tractors that had the Continental engine had the 3 ring fuel tank which is very hard to find in good condition.

From the handle bars of the tractor the tag would be on the left side of the chaincase, post the numbers here.

#3 New.Canadian.DB.Owner OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10178
  • 2,198 Thanks
  • 1,440 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 03:02 PM

One of the biggest challenges with re-powering a DB is to find an engine with a breather, exhaust and pull start that won't interfere with the hood closing.  Google DB's & look at the breather tube under the air filter. 

• trowel said thank you

#4 Lauber1 ONLINE  

DB restorer

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 4926
  • 3,421 Thanks
  • 2,783 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 05:35 PM

There are only 2 db's where the AU-7 would be an original fit. Model 561 is one and I think the other was a model 56. Other than that it would fit most any tractor and would be fine.

• trowel said thank you

#5 superaben OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 11204
  • 7,664 Thanks
  • 5,677 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:55 PM

I bought an AA7 for use on my DB that should have had a Continental.  Looks like it "will fit" for now.  The DB came with a Craftsman/Tecumseh in it that didn't fit in the least, which was probably why the hood walked away from the tractor many years ago. 

For me, I had to pick an engine to fit under the hood I bought.  When that Continental came up I decided that since I wanted one bad enough to play with for some time, the DB was a good excuse to take it home.

Ben W.

• trowel said thank you