#46 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 11:18 AM

That tank looks an awful lot like a Cub Cadet gas tank. Heat shield is a good idea. Looks great so far!

#47 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• Member No: 268
  • 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 12:36 PM

That is the stock Case tank, but probably was made by the same supplier.  The oil cooler connection you can see is 3/4" and the hyd pump suction connection out the bottom is 1".  It is an aluminum tank.  I wanted to duplicate the original tank mount so the heat sheild would protect the tank if the alt belt ever broke!

#48 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 02:13 PM

Is that your total hydraulic reservoir? Maybe about a gallon?

Those tractors must have a heck of an oil cooler on them.

#49 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 03:14 PM

total hyd system capacity is a little less than 5 gallons, lots of steel hardline running around on them.  The hyd cooler is about 10" x 12", 3/4" line, 1.25" thick.  That tank is probably around 2 gallons.

#50 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:27 PM

I have never been around one of these hydraulic Case tractors before. Basically your engine just powers a hydraulic pump and the alternator. Is this correct?

#51 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 06:58 PM

I have never been around one of these hydraulic Case tractors before. Basically your engine just powers a hydraulic pump and the alternator. Is this correct?

That's it Chris!

• Cvans said thank you

#52 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 07, 2014 - 08:31 AM

Yup, all the engine does is run the hydraulic pump.  Stock you could also run a mower deck off the front belt PTO but I eliminated that.

Now the hyd system is all hooked up and I put 2.5 gallons of 15w-40 oil in the tank.  Got the electric fan mounted too.  I need to relocate the inlet and outlet on the bigger radiator so for now I am going to mount the smaller one.  I will have a water temp gauge so I can watch to make sure it doesn't over heat.

DSC03305.JPG DSC03306.JPG DSC03307.JPG DSC03308.JPG DSC03309.JPG

#53 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 01:57 PM

I don't have any way to weld aluminum at home, so I took the big rad into work and one of the guys there welded up the top hose fittings for me.  Turned out really nice.  This weekend I will make the parts to do the same to the lower hose connections and get those welded on next week.  I really feel like this should have the bigger rad in it.  Hope to get the fuel filter mounting this weekend and do some wiring.  May get to hear it run, too!

Upper Rad tank.JPG

#54 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 11, 2014 - 05:20 PM

Just wondering...are you using a water temp sensing fan switch, or running the fan full time.  With the hydraulic cooler, I'm thinking maybe it should run constant, at least in summer months?  You could always run a manual switch in parallel with a temp switch so you could choose full time or water temp.

#55 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 05:19 AM

I plan to run the fan full time. The tractor won't really see much winter use as I have a snowblower and cab for my Case 444.

The radiator fit right in with just the upper hose connection moved so I got that mounted over the weekend. The hoses are all run. Mounted the fuel filter too. Bled the air out of the injector lines. Had it running on the starter for a little bit, but it just wouldn't quite catch. Looks like the mechanical lift pump isn't strong enough to keep the filter full since the tank is mounted under the seat. I do have one of the Mr Gasket electric diesel pumps so will probably install that. I am down to just wiring and the throttle and shut down controls.

#56 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:18 AM

Just a thought here as I don't know the relation of your fuel tank, filter and pump. I installed a Yanmar diesel in a Yamaha golf cart and am using the mechanical pump on the engine. Have put many miles on it and the fuel filter is now only half full. There is no way for the air to get out of the fuel filter as the fuel passes through. My filter is in the vertical position shortly after the fuel line leaves the top of the tank. Engine runs fine.  I don't know that you can judge much by the amount of fuel in the filter. 

Your electric fuel pump is a good idea. If you run out of fuel is will be much easier to prime the system with the electric pump. 

Edited by Cvans, April 15, 2014 - 11:22 AM.

#57 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:41 AM

I would agree with you on the level of fuel in the filter, with one added detail - the fuel must actually be up to the level of the filter element.  I have a John Deere (yanmar) filter assembly and the level of the fuel in the bowl keeps dropping below the bottom of the filter element.  I may pull apart the mechanical pump first and check it for problems as I don't really want to run the electric if I don't have to.  I also plan to lower the filter.

#58 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • 35,568 Thanks
  • 29,819 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 11:47 AM

On one of my JD F935's, I had weird fuel issues.  The fuel never filled the filter assembly  over 1/2 full, then would get air into the injector pump.  The filter had a bleed screw at the top, so I tapped it larger, added a barb fitting, then ran that to the return line back to the tank.  I put a restriction plug in this line with a very tiny hole so it will purge the air, but not pass hardly any fuel.  My issues with air went away.  I still have a problem in the fuel tank letting air in, but this took care of it at the time.  I need to pull both tanks.

#59 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,471 Thanks
  • 5,005 posts

Posted April 15, 2014 - 08:35 PM

Boy Daniel, does it ever end? 

#60 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,404 Thanks
  • 3,155 posts

Posted April 16, 2014 - 03:50 AM

Boss the Kubota mechanical fuel pumps are pretty week only because they are driven ( barely) by a lobe off of the injector cam.. Poor design I think.. Anyways I had this same issue on my Kubota diesel in my LGT , installed an electric fuel pump and now it runs wonderful.
It was so annoying I almost pulled it and installed a Kohler v twin... Those little pumps dont draw much power and keep the fuel circulating all the time keeping the system full so no air gets in .

Edited by skyrydr2, April 16, 2014 - 03:51 AM.