#31 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 09:34 PM

That is really interesting. Makes my current project look pretty simple. You do nice work and thanks for the photos.

#32 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted March 14, 2014 - 10:51 PM

Very nice work. That adapter looks very well made, and should do a nice job adapting that Kubota to that Case.  :thumbs:  I admire your machining equipment, and your skills using it. Thanks for the great pics.

Matt

#33 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• Member No: 268
  • 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:19 AM

Thanks guys! The equipment makes all the differance on a project like this. I don't think I could afford what a machine shop would charge to make a piece like that one. The mill is a 1985 YCM Supermax 2hp variable speed with a 10"x54" table and digital readouts. I bought it a little over five years ago for $1500 (got really lucky). It came with about 500 pounds of cutters, vice, 10" rotary table, and a rotary phase converter. The best part was, it was just 1.5 miles around the corner from my house. By far one of my best deals. The lathe is a 1941 Hendey Cone Head 12x54. It was a WWII U S Navy lathe. The size and the quick change gear box were the selling points for me, didn't want to mess with change gears. It has some wear in the ways but is still very servicable. I paid $750 for that 4 years ago. A guy had it hear in Midland, in the city in a 1.5 car garage. He bought it down state and discovered when he got it home it wouldn't fit where he wanted it.

This little adaptor was a really good project for my continued learning process on these machines. this is by far the most complex thing I have made with them.

Here is a better picture of the lathe. That is a Geo Tracker rear axle chucked in it. The entire axle housing fit with room to spare also.
DSC02089.JPG

Edited by boss351c, March 15, 2014 - 07:20 AM.

• olcowhand and Cvans have said thanks

#34 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted March 15, 2014 - 07:23 AM

Here is the axle housing chucked up.
shortening tracker rear (4).JPG
  • Cvans said thank you

#35 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 06:10 PM

Well, the engine is sitting in place now. Got the engine mounts made yesterday. I was able to get the hard line high pressure line hooked back up to the pump by using a long 90* elbow. Now I am cleaning up the front heat sheilds/oil tank and cooler mounts. Those will all bolt back in their stock locations. The radiator is an aluminum ATV unit that will fit under the tank and infront of the cooler. I have an electric fan that will mount to the rear of the oil cooler to pull air through both. I am adding oil pressure and water temp gauges, so I will keep an eye on the temp. If this radiator is not big enough I have one of the Honda Civic "racing" aluminum radiators I can put in by moving the tank/heat sheilds back a couple of inches. I also changed the oil and filter, the old oil looked good and there was nothing on the drain plug - looks to have been well maintained. I also discovered today that my local tractor supply carries the Majic Paint Case Power Yellow! Now I can paint the bucket to match the tractor. I think I am going to paint the engine the same color too. Will give it more of a big equipment look I think.

DSC03277.JPG DSC03285.JPG DSC03287.JPG DSC03288.JPG DSC03289.JPG DSC03291.JPG
  • Cvans said thank you

#36 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 07:39 PM

You do fantastic work, and your certainly doing right by that Case! I really enjoy the pics, and I agree with painting the engine the same color, as it will make it look like a factory diesel rig. I'm really enjoying this thread. :thumbs:

Matt

#37 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted March 23, 2014 - 10:01 PM

Nice looking lathe. Except for the belt pulleys is doesn't look that old.

#38 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 05:26 AM

We had our first warm day (50 deg) since Novemeber yesterday so I yanked the diesel back out of the 646 and powerwashed it and the tractor. Much nicer to work on now. While the engine was out I pulled the loader control valve out and rebuilt it since it was leaking a little. Also painted the engine to match the tractor. Once everything dried I put the engine back in and bolted it in place. Also cleaned and painted the oil tank/ oil cooler mounts. Found a small hole rubbed in the outlet hose barb of the oil tank so I need to solder that up and paint the tank. I also removed the rockshaft assembly and the belt PTO engagement rod. Next step is wiring then installing the oil tank and cooler, then exhaust. Getting close.

I do have a question on the return line. The fuel filter/water seperator I have has a return line port on it. would it be sufficent to just return the fuel there, or do I have to have a line all the way back to the tank?

Thanks,
Patrick

DSC03292.JPG DSC03296.JPG DSC03297.JPG DSC03301.JPG DSC03304.JPG
  • Cvans, bowtiebutler956 and Dieselcubmike have said thanks

#39 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 10:19 AM

Sure looks good setting in there.

#40 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 11:25 AM

I do have a question on the return line. The fuel filter/water seperator I have has a return line port on it. would it be sufficent to just return the fuel there, or do I have to have a line all the way back to the tank?

Thanks,
Patrick

As long as that port is on the suction side of the fuel pump, you should be ok.  Returning it to the tank helps keep fuel cooler I believe, but I don't think it would amount to that much on our smaller units, as we usually don't run them that hard or that long at a stretch.

#41 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted March 31, 2014 - 03:23 PM

Fantastic work Patrick!!!!! The engine looks like it came from the factory in your 646. That should be a very capable machine, and it just seems right for a loader to have a Diesel in it. Good job correcting Case's oversight! :thumbs:  Can't wait to see it finished, and I'm hoping you'll eventually post a video once you have it all sorted out. :worship:

Matt

#42 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 01, 2014 - 05:19 AM

Thanks for all the kind words guys.

Olcowhand - the fuel filter will be between the tank and the fuel pump, glad to hear that my return line plan will work. The Case has a 5 gallon tank on it which seems like it will be way too much for this little engine. I happened across a 1.5 gallon tank that may fit in the stock mounts. If I put that one in later I will run a return all the way to the tank.

Last night I had some of the rare weeknight shop time. Got the small hole in the hyd tank soldered up with some silver bearing solder. Turned out nice. Also bolted the oil tank/cooler mounts in place. Looks like to fit the radiator I need to move the mount assembly back 1.25". At this point I am thinking of building a new setup rather than modify the stock one. Since I will be using an electric fan I should be able to simplify the mount alot.

#43 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 02, 2014 - 10:45 AM

Off topic, but I have decided to sell my other diesel.  It is a 2004 Kubota D722-E2 with a freshly rebuilt injection pump and injectors.  Came out of a Carrier reefer so it has the large oil pan and oil filter and filler on the inj pump side.  If anyone is interested just shoot me a PM or reply here.

DSC02060.JPG DSC02061.JPG

#44 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 08:17 AM

Started to make the new hyd tank mount last night.  The good news is that now I will have room to fit the popular "Honda Civic racing" radiator, just have to relocate the upper hose connection on the rad.  Hope to get that done this weekend and the wiring, then fire it up.

photo 3.JPG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 6.JPG

• Cvans said thank you

#45 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted April 04, 2014 - 08:30 AM

Off topic, but I have decided to sell my other diesel.  It is a 2004 Kubota D722-E2 with a freshly rebuilt injection pump and injectors.  Came out of a Carrier reefer so it has the large oil pan and oil filter and filler on the inj pump side.  If anyone is interested just shoot me a PM or reply here.

attachicon.gifDSC02060.JPGattachicon.gifDSC02061.JPG

You can put that in the Classifieds!

• olcowhand said thank you