• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

#1 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• Member No: 268
  • 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:18 PM

Hi everyone!  This is my first post here but thought you guys would appreciate my current project more than is likely on the brand specific forums.

This fall I bought a '79 Case 646 loader.  It is original paint, original hydraulic hoses, and was original tires still, but I had to replace the rears.  It does have the holding valve and the rear PTO valve, but no 3 point hitch.  I have the materials to build a 3ph and have built one already for my Case 444.  Anyway, the 646 is powered by the original Onan CCKA 16.5 hp engine.  I have never been a fan of Onans so I have no qualms with yanking a good running one out.  Through some horse trading I ended up with a new Carrol Stream 10hp diesel but felt it would be a little underpowered for the Case.  Then I stumbled on a Kubota Z482-E 2 cylinder diesel that came with a bell housing that was once used to mount a hydraulic pump.  This engine is rated at 13.3 hp and runs at 3600 rpm so it will replace the Onan nicely.  Torque is rated at 22 ft/lbs, roughly the same as the Onan.  I was able to trade the china diesel for the Kubota plus cash!  I also have a Kubota D722 but it is too long to fit in the Case.

My plan is to install the 482 without making any permenant mods to the tractor.  It sat long enough that the fuel in the injection pump turned to wax, so one plunger was stuck.  I found a cheap new in box replacement so I have been playing with the old one until it arrives.  I removed the pump from the engine and soaked it in Power Service fuel additive for 4 days, then laquar thinner for one day.  Then I tried rubbing alcohol and it almost immediatly began to dissolve the wax!  after soaking for about 3 hours I had the plunger freed up.  I am now working to clean all the loosened wax out of the pump body.  Turns out these pumps are very simple to dismantle to clean, just don't remove the security torqx screws that hold the part the nozzles screw into.  The position of those flanges adjust the fuel deliverly to each cylinder.

I am probably a couple weeks away from actually starting the installation, but thought I would thorw it out there.  I have a large lathe, mill, multiple welders, plasma cutter, etc, so everything will be done in house.  The PO of the engine cut the pump mouning flange off the bellhousing (why???) with an angle grinder, so i will have to weld a new piece of aluminum in it and machine a new pump mount.  That is really the biggest hurdle I see so far.

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, hamman and 9 others have said thanks

#2 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted January 29, 2014 - 09:56 PM

Be sure to post a lot of photos and keep us up to date on how it's going. I have 3 conversions to get on myself so Good Luck!!

• twostep said thank you

#3 T Guiles OFFLINE  

T Guiles
  • Member No: 39800
  • 952 Thanks
  • 749 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 02:06 AM

:wewantpics:   and welcome

#4 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 06:08 AM

Here are some pics.  All the paint was missing on the bucket so when I put a new cutting edge on it I painted it orange until I can get to the nearest CaseIH dealer to buy some Power Yellow.  The paint I used is Rustoleum Lobster Red which is fairly close to the Case Power Red.  It is what I use on my homemade implements for the 444.

DSC03169.JPG

DSC03177.JPG

DSC03165.JPG

Here is the Z482 (left) and D722 (right)

DSC03182.JPG

• olcowhand, Texas Deere and Horse, sacsr and 1 other said thanks

#5 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 913 Thanks
  • 1,204 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 07:49 AM

welcome sounds like you have a nice shop setup. Thanks for the pictures

#6 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,372 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted January 30, 2014 - 08:47 AM

:wave: Welcome to the forum! Sounds like a good project!

#7 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted February 01, 2014 - 12:02 AM

What a great project! The Kubota will make a great repower for your Case, and I look forward to watching your progress. :thumbs:

Matt

#8 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 04, 2014 - 09:11 PM

Here are some pics.  All the paint was missing on the bucket so when I put a new cutting edge on it I painted it orange until I can get to the nearest CaseIH dealer to buy some Power Yellow.  The paint I used is Rustoleum Lobster Red which is fairly close to the Case Power Red.  It is what I use on my homemade implements for the 444.

attachicon.gifDSC03169.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC03177.JPG

attachicon.gifDSC03165.JPG

Here is the Z482 (left) and D722 (right)

attachicon.gifDSC03182.JPG

The Z482 will only put out about 13 hp... The D722 would be a better engine-power wise IMHO, though I don't know how well it would fitl

I had a Z482 out of an idler unit.. wish I'd kept it... I have a Case 444 that it would be just the ticket for.

Smitty

#9 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 09:14 AM

The Z482 produces 22 ft/lbs of torque which is the same as the onan that is in the tractor.  It only runs a 9 gpm hydraulic pump so I think it will be plenty.  Case also sold a 644 which used the same Kohler 14hp as your 444.  I have seen a youtube video where someone repowered a 644 with a chinese 10hp diesel.  While I would love to use the D722, there just isn't room without alot of mods to the tractor.  Plus I would have to change the oil pan since it came out of a Carrier refer unit.

I almost have the onan out so I will be able to start test fitting the diesel soon.

• Utah Smitty and icecream4070 have said thanks

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,472 Thanks
  • 5,006 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 02:51 PM

The Z482 is a very good engine and should serve you well. Looking forward to seeing how this goes.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 05:00 PM

This is great, love the diesel re-power projects.   :thumbs:

• Trav1s said thank you

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted February 05, 2014 - 05:50 PM

The Z482 produces 22 ft/lbs of torque which is the same as the onan that is in the tractor.  It only runs a 9 gpm hydraulic pump so I think it will be plenty.  Case also sold a 644 which used the same Kohler 14hp as your 444.  I have seen a youtube video where someone repowered a 644 with a chinese 10hp diesel.  While I would love to use the D722, there just isn't room without alot of mods to the tractor.  Plus I would have to change the oil pan since it came out of a Carrier refer unit.

I almost have the onan out so I will be able to start test fitting the diesel soon.

I didn't realize the Z482 was that torquey.  By all means, proceed!!!  Like I said, I wish I'd kept mine... just got a MItsi L3E for my Bolens HT23... I'll deal with it for now, hopefully I'll find another Z482.

Smitty

• twostep said thank you

#13 boss351c OFFLINE  

boss351c

• 84 Thanks
  • 60 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 06:26 AM

I got the onan engine removed last night. That thing must weigh twice what the little kubota does! There is a ton of space in this machine, and the kubota takes up less of it than the onan did. It looks like the main modification I will have to do is to the hard hydraulic pressure line coming off the pump. I will shorten and reflare it so I can put a short hydraulic hose in. That way I can lower the pump a little bit. That will also let me lower the engine down into the frame some. I think if I wanted to the front PTO clutch could be reinstalled on the crank pulley of the diesel. I may do this as a just in case I need to mow with it someday.

I would power wash the tractor and engine but it is like 2*F here and my trailer is buried in this crappy snow/ice/snow/ice/snow combination we have here. I really hate winter!

Anyway, the pics:
DSC03192.JPG DSC03194.JPG DSC03195.JPG DSC03196.JPG DSC03200.JPG DSC03201.JPG DSC03206.JPG
  • olcowhand, Cvans and pigsitter have said thanks

#14 hammerdwn20 OFFLINE  

hammerdwn20

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2133
  • 98 Thanks
  • 274 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 08:56 AM

The z482 is a great engine. Mine came out of a reefer unit and im using it in my Bolens HT20. I did crank up the fuel slightly on it too and it has plenty of power for the mower deck.

• olcowhand said thank you

#15 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,571 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted February 08, 2014 - 08:59 AM

Yes, that 482 will make a perfect size repower for the 646.  Plenty of room, plentiful power!